Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    24? that's like the same age bruce take in dick! plus dick taking on a sidekick is not the same as becoming a dad.
    A mentor is just a teacher, not a father.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Astonishing Member

24? that's like the same age bruce take in dick! plus dick taking on a sidekick is not the same as becoming a dad.
    I remember Dick was a little younger (21?)

Although maybe I'm wrong (or his age was retconned again).
    Last edited by Konja7; 10-09-2018 at 05:55 AM.

Au contraire. In the new Batwoman series, Kate is / was partnered with Bette, who was. . . . Flamebird.

Much more recently, in a Detective of a year or so ago, Kate met Bette who is in West Point. Bette mused that she wanted to take on her ID as Flamebird.

She did not mention Hawkfire, and most of us are happy.

The name Flamebird has been more often associated with Bette, than any other character.

It should belong to her.

But my girl steph is rotting away in limbo. She's in and out of limbo because she doesn't have a home or role. she doesn't anywhere to go, a solo? not with this overcrowded family, YJ is all ready full, Outsiders already has two bat teens already, batgirl? DC doesn't want steph stealing any of babs batgirl shine, batman? not after tec.
    Then by all means let Steph be Nightwing's partner. But I do take issue with the "rotting away in limbo" comment.

Any one who really pays attention and would be a "fair" person would realize that

Bette has far less screen/panel time than almost any other Bat family character. And if we were really paying attention and fair, most people when presented with the facts would see that

Steph is kind of a new version of Bette. Blonde hair- check. Previously called "Batgirl" - check.

The only difference is that Bette's canon suggests she was already an Olympic athlete and a better candidate to be a partner or trained to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    . . . The name Flamebird has been more often associated with Bette, than any other character.
    Depends on when you began reading comic books. Bette didn't take on the name "Flamebird" until a few years after Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Prior to her using it, Jimmy Olsen (while in the bottle city of Kandor) and then Ak-Var (a resident of Kandor) went by the name.

After Bette had been Flamebird, Supergirl (Kara Zor-El) had used the name at one point, as did Thara Ak-Var during the "New Krypton" storyline in the Superman comic books.

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

Ok... I'm lost here. Tim is back to being Robin? What is Damian doing?
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRodriguez09 View Post
    It seems Tim and Damian will share the name Robin for a time.

Tim in Young Justice, while Damian in Teen Titans (and may other comic with Jon).

30 YEARS AGO. That is when Bette started using it.

Jimmy - - several episodes in the silver age - - 5 years tops.

others - - Ak-Var for several years.

I'm talking duration. Bette has had the name the most years, geez.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRodriguez09 View Post
    Personally, I don't see anything wrong with Tim keeping the "Red Robin" name instead of being just "Robin", but DC doesn't care what people like me think/feel/want.

Fantastic Member

Out of curiosity does anyone else think Tim going back to being Robin is a demotion? All the other robins have moved forward somewhat but Tim seems to keep getting pushed back into older roles

Yes and no. Red Robin was a flop of an new identity, and doing something is better then doing nothing. Though overall I don’t think it’s a good thing the character has hit such a road block. Don’t think it’s good for DC either, or any new generation that comes along.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 10-09-2018 at 11:35 AM.

BANNED

batwoman is about to get a tv show so its only a matter of time because bette flamebird shows up there as batwomans partner for a few seasons.

Tim is robin again and in YJ, cass and duke are in Outsiders, Damian is also robin and is in TT/SS and soon Tec. and they all very strong connections with batman.

But my girl steph is rotting away in limbo. She's in and out of limbo because she doesn't have a home or role. she doesn't anywhere to go, a solo? not with this overcrowded family, YJ is all ready full, Outsiders already has two bat teens already, batgirl? DC doesn't want steph stealing any of babs batgirl shine, batman? not after tec.

Nightwing is the place to go. Steph needs a home and role while Dick needs a partner and a suport character.
    In today's #MeToo climate? I like Steph a lot, but a team of two hormonal young people--especially with a younger female--is a powder keg. If she were Dick's age (and not jail bait), it'd be different. I'd like to see a League of Batgirls with Barbara in charge, mentoring Steph, Cass, and Tiffany. That Future's End issue was Da Bomb!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by reni344 View Post
    Out of curiosity does anyone else think Tim going back to being Robin is a demotion? All the other robins have moved forward somewhat but Tim seems to keep getting pushed back into older roles
    Tim wants to keep his umbilical cord to Batman still attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Yes and no. Red Robin was a flop of an new identity, and doing something is better then doing nothing. Though overall I don’t think it’s a good thing the character has hit such a road block. Don’t think it’s good for DC either, or any new generation that comes along.
    I thought the Red Robin original look and his solo series was great.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

batwoman is about to get a tv show so its only a matter of time because bette flamebird shows up there as batwomans partner for a few seasons.

Tim is robin again and in YJ, cass and duke are in Outsiders, Damian is also robin and is in TT/SS and soon Tec. and they all very strong connections with batman.

Nightwing is the place to go. Steph needs a home and role while Dick needs a partner and a suport character.
    You know, it's not a bad argument. Most everyone else does seem to be accounted for (or soon will be). Other than Bette and Steph of course (and Batwing, but he's not sidekick material, dude's too capable and old to fill that role).

I mean, Bette definitely gets used far less than Steph does, by miles (and she's been around far longer which makes it even worse). But there's logic in using Steph as Nightwing's sidekick. And if they continue to build up the relationship between Kate and Bette, we will likely see Bette as Kate's sidekick the next time Batwoman gets a solo (and come on, we all know she will sooner or later, DC loves her).

I'd still rather see Nightwing and Flamebird in action again, with Bette carrying the mantle that belongs to her (well, a Kryptonian god, really, but whatevs). But you make a good argument for Steph.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Personally, I don't see anything wrong with Tim keeping the "Red Robin" name instead of being just "Robin", but DC doesn't care what people like me think/feel/want.
    The only problem with Tim keeping the Red Robin name is that it's terrible on every possible level there is, and quite likely countless more levels that we're unaware of. It is, without a doubt, the worst name this side of the Whizzer. And to add insult to injury any time any of us mention it, everyone else will think we're talking about a fried chicken joint. I have no interest in Tim being Robin again (especially while Damian holds the title) but......screw it. Tim as Red Robin is stupid and horrible, Tim as Robin is redundant and unnecessary so.....there's no good solution between the two.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.