Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What if...?

BANNED

Default What if...?

Ok, I am starting my very own place for hypothetical scenarios! That's right; a place to ask 'what if?' and tell us all what comes to mind! This can be in any context: speculation of upcoming plots, your own AU ideas, anything and everything!

The only thing I ask is that we all take this seriously: No needless trolling about 'flatscans' or 'muties'--nothing that's going to cause unnecessary conflict or fights. Keep your jokes tasteful and respectable...but ya can swear to your heart's content!

BANNED

Here's mine!

The nation of Krakoa is strictly 'Mutant only', designed as a safe-haven for mutant refugees fleeing persecution. But mutants aren't the only refugee in the world: what happens if groups of mostly human refugee's come fleeing wars and genocides of their own? What if there's a mother and child amongst them, the child a mutant but the mother a human? A set of twins of a similar position, perhaps?

Whoever they are, these refugees are wanted nowhere else; they're 'invaders' even amongst their own human-kind. They didn't care where they were going when they hopped on their now (shipwrecked) boat, they, like the mutants, just wanted to be safe.

What'll happen?

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

What If...

Moira begins to turn steadily into an all-controlling psychotic despot?

We already see her starting to distrust and blame X/M for not fully adhering to her vision. And we get glimpses of her insecurity and deep paranoia. Anyone who has lived NINE LIVES already especially given how traumatic some of them were, and the fact some of them lasted for CENTURIES... I mean, she simply can't be well in the head.

Sort of a Big Brother/1984/They Live scenario?

Starts to enact surveillance of "Her People" at all times, begins to recruit some of the more impressionable (perhaps through proxies if not willing to interact directly) and gradually they morph into her own Secret Police or Paramilitary Squad to deal with internal dissent?

Xavier and Magneto end up thinking Moira is mad/wrong/nuts (probably the revival of Irene Adler via Raven plays into this) and begin to rebel but she has turned herself into a Chimera after working with Essex (this may be an accelerating factor in her mental instability), and all hell breaks loose...

Eventually she is "lost" but departs a broken Krakoa with some of her more fanatic followers. Blames the other mutants for not fully understanding the greatness of her vision, as she's gotten delusional paranoid and so forth. Either to "try it all over again" in some way, or travels through time, enters Arakko/Limbo etc.
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 01-08-2020 at 04:22 PM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    What If...

Starts to enact surveillance of "Her People" at all times, begins to recruit some of the more impressionable (perhaps through proxies if not willing to interact directly) and gradually they morph into her own Secret Police or Paramilitary Squad to deal with internal dissent?

Xavier and Magneto end up thinking Moira is mad/wrong/nuts and begin to rebel but she has turned herself into a Chimera after working with Essex, and all hell breaks loose...

Eventually she is "lost" but departs a broken Krakoa with some of her more fanatic followers
    How do we get you your own book?

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Here's mine!

The nation of Krakoa is strictly 'Mutant only', designed as a safe-haven for mutant refugees fleeing persecution. But mutants aren't the only refugee in the world: what happens if groups of mostly human refugee's come fleeing wars and genocides of their own? What if there's a mother and child amongst them, the child a mutant but the mother a human? A set of twins of a similar position, perhaps?

Whoever they are, these refugees are wanted nowhere else; they're 'invaders' even amongst their own human-kind. They didn't care where they were going when they hopped on their now (shipwrecked) boat, they, like the mutants, just wanted to be safe.

What'll happen?
    I suppose two sides would appear: one showing empathy, the other side thinking security and a strict application of law. Like in real-life situations… which is the reason why I woudn't like it very much. Too real and painful. But Krakoa's laws prepare the ground for this kind of stories.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

What If...

Xavier and Magneto end up thinking Moira is mad/wrong/nuts (probably the revival of Irene Adler via Raven plays into this) and begin to rebel but she has turned herself into a Chimera after working with Essex, and all hell breaks loose...

Eventually she is "lost" but departs a broken Krakoa with some of her more fanatic followers
    Oooh, grim. How about departs WITH a broken Krakoa? As in, the island thing boots everyone not aligned with her off and floats into space or something?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I suppose two sides would appear: one showing empathy, the other side thinking security and a strict application of law. Like in real-life situations… which is the reason why I woudn't like it very much. Too real and painful. But Krakoa's laws prepare the ground for this kind of stories.
    But wouldn't it be disingenuous not to show that? Especially since X-books already borrow so much from real life for their plots? Plus, like you said, Krakoa's laws invite this kind of questioning.

BANNED

Ok, here's a simpler one: The first child born on Krakoa is a pre-cog. What happens?

BANNED

Also:

Apocalypse was so sure that the results of those 'unions' in Excalibur #1 would be mutants. The most powerful mutants ever, he was proud to proclaim...

Except. Not all.

One is not...one, Hank Mc'Coy confirmed, was "Indeed, a Sapien."

The parents are torn. They struggle to conceive: one parent wants so much to keep their baby, they've never had much problem with humans before, after all, but the other...the other just cannot stand the sight of it. They can't agree, so, the decision is brought to the council...

What happens?

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Ok, here's a simpler one: The first child born on Krakoa is a pre-cog. What happens?
    That's a good question... the whole taboo on reviving known mutants with that ability is one thing. (Although surely Legion has it...)

But what if a new mutant is born with it? Would Moira try to have them murdered or something?

Maybe there is a way to affect what kinds of mutants can be born, or keep tabs on all of the new births or their genetic potential

Ideally (for Moira) they figure out a kid can develop this ability BEFORE it actually manifests otherwise "the jig may be up".

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Oooh, grim. How about departs WITH a broken Krakoa? As in, the island thing boots everyone not aligned with her off and floats into space or something?
    Maybe but I have the sense Krakoa itself as a sentient being is fundamentally good and decent and would also reject Moira in the end. So it'd be up to those who remain to try to make the best of the situation in this new era. That would be a good way to keep Krakoa going as a status quo but give a new perspective on it I guess, and maybe how it operates would change also with all the new info they learned about how they were manipulated and so on
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 01-08-2020 at 04:31 PM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Here's mine!

What'll happen?
    I would have to assume the "X-Men" on the island would try to figure out how to make it work for them to stay in the island. The "villains" of course would want to eat them. But imo it may be too early to allow humans there so it's a tricky situation.

I'm actually hoping to see some humans run up to a Krakoa gate and asking a mutant if they can live there with them. Not necessarily the mutant-loving fanatics we saw in Marauders but like you're describing, people who feel alone and rejected in the human world.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I'm hoping this exact thing plays out for us to see. It makes me want that Moira book more and more so we can understand further what the heck is on her mind and what she's planning.

BANNED

That's a good question... the whole taboo on reviving known mutants with that ability is one thing. (Although surely Legion has it...)

But what if a new mutant is born with it? Would Moira try to have them murdered or something?

Maybe there is a way to affect what kinds of mutants can be born, or keep tabs on all of the new births or their genetic potential

Ideally (for Moira) they figure out a kid can develop this ability BEFORE it actually manifests otherwise "the jig may be up".
    Ah, but then isn't she breaking her own law? "No Precogs on Krakoa."

Unless, she's got a special program designed for them? Away from the rest of their classmates though, a 'special' school for extra, special mutants...maybe it's sinister, maybe it's not; maybe the lucky few who prove they can be trusted are granted access to Moira's no-space to help in such endeavours?

And that's not even hitting the fact that, as far as we know, no one else knows about Moira's rule. Which also makes me wonder about the pre-cogs yet to manifest their powers outside of Krakoa, actually?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I would have to assume the "X-Men" on the island would try to figure out how to make it work for them to stay in the island. The "villains" of course would want to eat them. But imo it may be too early to allow humans there so it's a tricky situation.

I'm actually hoping to see some humans run up to a Krakoa gate and asking a mutant if they can live there with them. Not necessarily the mutant-loving fanatics we saw in Marauders but like you're describing, people who feel alone and rejected in the human world.
    Well yeah, but that's the point: refugees don't really have a schedule, they're desperate and go where the tide takes them. Not like say, tourists, who you can plan accordingly for. Their surprise arrival, perhaps at an inconvenient time, is the plot. Hence the situation: there's people who aren't so dissimilar from them, asking for help because they'll be either rejected from other countries or killed should they be sent back to where they came from.

I totally want to see all of that too! I want to see the blended families of this kind and the juxtaposition it puts everyone in!

Well yeah, but that's the point: refugees don't really have a schedule, they're desperate and go where the tide takes them. Not like say, tourists, who you can plan accordingly for. Their surprise arrival, perhaps at an inconvenient time, is the plot. Hence the situation: there's people who aren't so dissimilar from them, asking for help because they'll be either rejected from other countries or killed should they be sent back to where they came from.

I totally want to see all of that too! I want to see the blended families of this kind and the juxtaposition it puts everyone in!
    Maybe a section of Krakoa for such situations and people. Immigration is important!