Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fantastic Member

I think it also important to point out people keep saying "look up reading lists" not every reading order is accurate or maintained some characters and teams don't even have them.

Jon Stewart does not have one Conner Hawke does not; Martian Manhunter does not have a maintained one. If you are not a well-known character to everyone, often character reading lists fall to the wayside. Also, most new readers come in through trades, and digital comics many comics are not available in either platform yet. And comic book stores are not available in every area where new readers can look through a back issue bin.

I know when I started reading comics I did not read any Batman, Superman or Wonder Woman because I did not know where to start eventually I started Batman when Grant Morrison started writing. I did not read a Superman run until Rebirth and then I went back. I started Wonder Woman with George Perez.

I think it can be intimidating for new readers when you see issue #1000 we as comic book fans know we don't have to read a thousand issues to know what happened with Superman but new readers don't necessarily know that...

There was no comic book store when I was growing up nobody sold American comics I had plenty of manga, and that is what I read. Manga is much easier to access you read some vols in order, and you get the whole story. American comics make things unnecessarily complicated between events and tie-ins, and constant renumberings. Of course, new readers would be confused.
    Last edited by reni344; 10-10-2018 at 10:21 AM.