Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Why "of course"?

Was that because of how old you were then, or something else?
    Yes, I was in second grade. Still 2 years away from drinking coffee (or milk with a drop of coffee at that time). May your cookie jar always be full, Major.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I have that mug and it was a gift as well. From my parents. 1989. Christmas.
    Same year? Same mug? What's your parents names
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 02-13-2021 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Yes, I was in second grade. Still 2 years away from drinking coffee (or milk with a drop of coffee at that time).

Same year? Same mug? What's your parents names
    Ahaha, so I guess I will just call you "brother" from now on!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Retired

My mother always let me have coffee. I don't remember when I didn't have coffee (when I was a little baby, I suppose). Instant coffee, with lots of milk and sugar. About the same to me as a hot chocolate (and probably less expensive). When I was a teen-ager, I finally gave it up on my own--thinking maybe it wasn't good for me. But then when I was a cook in the navy, I went back to coffee because it was right there for the taking.

I don't know why I waited so long to drink coffee. I drank tea as a kid, but didn't start coffee until I was well into my college years. And then, well, I'm Indiana Jones and the coffee infatuation is the giant boulder rolling after him. I have no idea if my parents would even let me have coffee in my youth. With my son, it was always "let him and he won't like it until he does". As a black drinker I would kid him about his desire for sweetner and creamer until his desired mix for coffee eventually hit a standard Massachusetts "regular" (sugar and cream).

Old folks like me with older kids, how did your parents dealing with your drinking coffee differ from how you deal with your kids drinking it?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    . . . I have no idea if my parents would even let me have coffee in my youth. With my son, it was always "let him and he won't like it until he does". As a black drinker I would kid him about his desire for sweetner and creamer until his desired mix for coffee eventually hit a standard Massachusetts "regular" (sugar and cream).

Old folks like me with older kids, how did your parents dealing with your drinking coffee differ from how you deal with your kids drinking it?
    Well, I may be "old", but I don't have kids. As for my parents, my Dad was a coffee drinker (with evaporated milk or cream and possibly sugar) and my Mom drank (hot) tea black (and still does). I don't remember really having a desire to drink either until I was well into high school, and I didn't start drinking coffee on a regular, every day basis until I was out in the work place where there was always a pot brewing in the back room/kitchen.

And as I've mentioned before, I'm a black/no sugar hot coffee drinker myself. No real interest in even ice coffee, not even during the hot days of summer.

Retired

My mother always had to have her pot of tea when she watched LOVE OF LIFE. It was Red Rose Tea ("Only available in Canada, you say. Pity"). I'd try it but it wasn't my cup of tea (har har). I really could only drink that tea if it was very weak. And I never liked it with milk or sugar. I will drink Earl Grey or an herbal tea--but again it has to be weak tea and not with anything added, but maybe with a slice of lemon. Essentially hot water with a bit of flavour.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I don't know why I waited so long to drink coffee. I drank tea as a kid, but didn't start coffee until I was well into my college years. And then, well, I'm Indiana Jones and the coffee infatuation is the giant boulder rolling after him. I have no idea if my parents would even let me have coffee in my youth. With my son, it was always "let him and he won't like it until he does". As a black drinker I would kid him about his desire for sweetner and creamer until his desired mix for coffee eventually hit a standard Massachusetts "regular" (sugar and cream).

I waited a long time as well. I did not have my first cup until I was 29 in prison. they sold instant in the prison stores. I have only had one cup of brewed coffee and I hated it but I love my instant. After my first cup at 29 I waited until I was out and back home. Didnt pick it up again until I was 37 two years ago.

I can only drink instant. i use FV creamer and sugar. And I can not drink it while eating. Not even a doughnut.

I am not a fan of mixed coffee drinks. That comes from being in prision. They had a nasty drink called a Foxy. it was cherry kool aide, Coffee, and what ever generic mountian dew the prison store sold that week. I threw up the first time I tried one.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Bumping this up since we're having some coffee talk in the "CONTROVERSIAL OPINIONS (FOR EVERYTHING OTHER THAN DC COMICS)" thread.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

just plain black because i normally have multiple cups, so i figure best not to add up sugar/cream servings or what not

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Stream View Post
    just plain black because i normally have multiple cups, so i figure best not to add up sugar/cream servings or what not
    That's me as well, for the most part. Although I will have 1 coffee cream, sugar and caramel from DD a day though. But I drink multiple cups so the rest of the time it's black. I don't want to have too much sugar and calories a day.

Quote Originally Posted by cable guy View Post
    That's me as well, for the most part. Although I will have 1 coffee cream, sugar and caramel from DD a day though. But I drink multiple cups so the rest of the time it's black. I don't want to have too much sugar and calories a day.
    But all that creamer and sugar dilutes the caffeine, doesn't it?

Extraordinary Member

Nobody takes their coffee with weasel poop? I figured there'd be at least one...

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Nobody takes their coffee with weasel poop? I figured there'd be at least one...
    Huh? Is that a thing? or slang that I am too old to understand?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Cream and 1 sweet n low but I am am loving just black Columbian coffee these days.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime