Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

I usually just do 3 creamers and 3 sugars.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Dark roast, black, no sugar/sweetener if "black" doesn't already imply that, hot regardless of weather/climate/temperature.

In a mug.
    "Black" means you have no milk/cream in it. You can have black coffee with a cup of sugar poured into it.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    . . . You can have black coffee with a cup of sugar poured into it.
    But that would be "a cup of sugar with some coffee" (unless it's a very BIG MUG)!

Mild to Medium roast, milk, and lots of sugar.

Love the 1850 Lantern Glow & Pioneer.

Love some Dunkin Donuts coffee with a shot of caramel too.

Chick Fil A also has decent coffee.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    "Black" means you have no milk/cream in it. You can have black coffee with a cup of sugar poured into it.
    I don't think that's right. Black is black- no sugar no cream and it ain't just a song. RIP Heavy D.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I don't think that's right. Black is black- no sugar no cream and it ain't just a song. RIP Heavy D.
    Looking at online definitions for "black coffee", all seem to indicate there is no milk, milk-substitute, or cream added (hence there is no lightening in color).
    Whether that also means no sugar or sweetener added is less strict. Out of the few definitions I pulled up, the additional restriction on sugar or sweetener seems less common. (I'm assuming those would be less likely to change the coloring of the coffee.)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Looking at online definitions for "black coffee", all seem to indicate there is no milk, milk-substitute, or cream added (hence there is no lightening in color).
    Whether that also means no sugar or sweetener added is less strict. Out of the few definitions I pulled up, the additional restriction on sugar or sweetener seems less common. (I'm assuming those would be less likely to change the coloring of the coffee.)
    Gotcha... So a step beyond the interwebz, in the face to face practicum or street definition (of course your 'street' mileage will vary) of what black coffee designates, what do you think there Major? As someone of some age that is.

I feel yes, while we have many varied and foo-foo options (again your mileage will vary in regards to foo-foo, hoity-toity, high and mighty ect.) nowadays for what rates as coffee the above pic is not so far off, then again maybe. I always tell the coffee drinkers at the job that I drink the coffee cowboy style or 'straight up' (I douse it with a splash of water from the filter, eff that scalding hot ****, so, here in to maybe it is I...). Which just designates that on the range there was rarely ever sugar around for coffee. Some of the older nomenclatures, designations and references are not so outdated that they don't hold weight anymore is all.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Gotcha... So a step beyond the interwebz, in the face to face practicum or street definition (of course your 'street' mileage will vary) of what black coffee designates, what do you think there Major? As someone of some age that is.
    When I say "black" (or "basic black") for my coffee, I don't want any sugar. But to be safe I'll specify "black, no sugar" for the benefit of people who don't know my personal preferences.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

When I'm at home, I have any number of one of Zavida's excellent coffees. Whole bean, ground, French press. I put in about 1/4 cup of soy milk, and I'm good to go.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Black should mean with nothing added to the coffee. it's actually been a while since I'm ordered coffee at a place that didn't have sugar and cream available to add yourself so my experience could be limited. I'm also from New England where "regular" is a thing before, of course, the onslaught of Dunkin' on every corner. If I order a coffee black, I expect a FULL cup, without room for cream or milk.

Most places seem to ask if you want room for cream.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

All I know is that I personally have never had an issue with ordering coffee black, and having sugar added to it without me asking. Many if not all sit in cafes will expect you to add it yourself at a nearby counter, and only ask if you need room in your cup for the stuff.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Not a big coffee fan but Tim Hortons is so popular here I may try it.
    Back in the day when I lived in Edmonton and eating donuts was a part of the Alberta lifestyle, I would go to Tim's with my friends. But that was when Timmy's wasn't fancy and was just a donut shop like all the others. Now that it's made itself a Canadian religion, I can never bring myself to go in there. It would be like going to a religious service for a church I don't understand--they even have their own liturgy.

I go to Starbuck's. I started with that religion when it was just beginning and I understand the practices. It's not normal to have the server put the cream and sugar in for you--for a regular cup of coffee (which is what I get, dark roast). I hear that they put it in for you at Tim's, which is how you can order a double/double. I think that's weird. The only time that happens at a Starbuck's is at the airport--or in some foreign countries they might do that because they don't want people stealing the cream and sugar. Luckily I don't have to worry, because I don't have cream or sugar with my coffee, but I wouldn't want to trust someone else to add sugar and milk to my coffee. They would most likely get the wrong amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Back in the day when I lived in Edmonton and eating donuts was a part of the Alberta lifestyle, I would go to Tim's with my friends. But that was when Timmy's wasn't fancy and was just a donut shop like all the others. Now that it's made itself a Canadian religion, I can never bring myself to go in there. It would be like going to a religious service for a church I don't understand--they even have their own liturgy.

I go to Starbuck's. I started with that religion when it was just beginning and I understand the practices. It's not normal to have the server put the cream and sugar in for you--for a regular cup of coffee (which is what I get, dark roast). I hear that they put it in for you at Tim's, which is how you can order a double/double. I think that's weird. The only time that happens at a Starbuck's is at the airport--or in some foreign countries they might do that because they don't want people stealing the cream and sugar. Luckily I don't have to worry, because I don't have cream or sugar with my coffee, but I wouldn't want to trust someone else to add sugar and milk to my coffee. They would most likely get the wrong amount.
    I'm only passingly familiar with Tim Horton's but the New England obsession with Dunkin' Donuts seems much like what you describe.

A nice mug of Hazelnut coffee tonight. It was yum-yummy!