Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Ego also doesn't have a reason to generate said body here in the first place. He only did that for specific reasons and it doesn't help him fight someone already on him.

Yeah, Hela and Surtur should be here as well.

Ego doesn't need to make a body.

Mantis was sticking her hand deep into one of Egos power lines for lack of a better term when she did her thing.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Odin and Thor can probably Bifrost him into the nearest star as well. Or Heimdall.

Thanos could use soul and mind stones to locate him at range then merge him into the earth or port him away and so forth.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Having that body seems to be a default for Ego. Just saying. It's there all the time we see him, and there from the moment he could manifest it in his history. It's kind of a thing.

Myself, I don't have a problem with him having it in this situation. Seems to be 'standard equipment' for him, really. But mileage may vary.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Having that body seems to be a default for Ego. Just saying. It's there all the time we see him, and there from the moment he could manifest it in his history. It's kind of a thing.

Myself, I don't have a problem with him having it in this situation. Seems to be 'standard equipment' for him, really. But mileage may vary.
    True, but isn't this a "start on opposite sides of the planet" thing? It's not like fight starts and he's staring at space dad. Meanwhile there is a whooole lot of angry planet between Doom and team MCU. Even with teleportation, team MCU has plenty of that as well. Also, even that body was described as merely an extension that would wither and die if gone from the main body for too long. And it was one of many. We see numerous types of bodies forged for inter species intercourse (gross lol) in his flashback demonstration.

I think 616 Doom could rule the MCU if he were dropped in it. But this is just too stacked.
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    True, but isn't this a "start on opposite sides of the planet" thing? It's not like fight starts and he's staring at space dad. Meanwhile there is a whooole lot of angry planet between Doom and team MCU. Even with teleportation, team MCU has plenty of that as well. Also, even that body was described as merely an extension that would wither and die if gone from the main body for too long. And it was one of many. We see numerous types of bodies forged for inter species intercourse (gross lol) in his flashback demonstration.

I think 616 Doom could rule the MCU if he were dropped in it. But this is just too stacked.
    Assuming Ego doesn't go ahead and do the kind of stuff we see in the movies -- make a version of himself when he gets upset and wants to deal with someone -- then you have a good point. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Assuming Ego doesn't go ahead and do the kind of stuff we see in the movies -- make a version of himself when he gets upset and wants to deal with someone -- then you have a good point. ^_^
    That is a good point. Guy almost has a Dormammu like tendency to flaunt and scream to his opponent ;p
    - big_adventure

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Not really. He had it when he needed it. He used bodies for specific purposes-- going places a planet couldn't, making various species fall in love with him, winning Star Lord's trust. He was using it for such capacity for most of the movie, but when it got destroyed I don't recall him bothering to form another when it came time to throw down.

Also, it seems rather reasonable to assume he didn't use the same body since the moment he started his mission, given that he was mating with all sorts of species across the universe. The laws of biology and attraction would suggest he probably had various forms he used to mate with various aliens. Even factoring in the standard sci-fi "way too many humans and humanoids" trope the MCU continues in, I just can't see him seducing a lot of alien squids while looking like Kurt Russel.

Does Doom have cloaking spells? Invisibility tech? Something to keep him hidden while unloading the Crimson Bands of cytorrak?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Not really. He had it when he needed it. He used bodies for specific purposes-- going places a planet couldn't, making various species fall in love with him, winning Star Lord's trust. He was using it for such capacity for most of the movie, but when it got destroyed I don't recall him bothering to form another when it came time to throw down.
    It's pretty much his thing. He doesn't need it, but he makes bodies all the time. As I recall, he fights Star Lord, embodied, after he decides he doesn't need him any more (when he could have just said 'screw it', let the body go, and smooshed him with various planetary creations). He just keeps making them.

Also, it seems rather reasonable to assume he didn't use the same body since the moment he started his mission, given that he was mating with all sorts of species across the universe. The laws of biology and attraction would suggest he probably had various forms he used to mate with various aliens. Even factoring in the standard sci-fi "way too many humans and humanoids" trope the MCU continues in, I just can't see him seducing a lot of alien squids while looking like Kurt Russel.
    Which is perfectly fine, but there's nothing to say those bodies wouldn't be vulnerable to the Ovoid, seeing as they're biological bodies linked to his mind. My point isn't that the dude will always show up Kurt Russel, my point is the dude likes making bodies, uses them pretty consistently, and said bodies should be perfectly open for manipulation with the Ovoid.

Moot point, really; as the Arbiter has pointed out, rightfully, in this scenario he has no real reason to create a body (other than the fact that he consistently just keeps doing so, seemingly because it's something he just likes to do) and is bloodlusted.
    Why are we here?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Also, MCU Ego doesn't have much in the way of mental resistances (Mantis being able to contain his planet-mind).
    Mantis also put Thanos to sleep, so it's more likely that MCU Mantis is just really that powerful than that MCU Ego and Thanos lack in mental fortitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Mantis also put Thanos to sleep, so it's more likely that MCU Mantis is just really that powerful than that MCU Ego and Thanos lack in mental fortitude.
    Kinda not how it works.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Well, I mean, isnt Mantis' only feats putting to sleep a loving Planet, struggling avainst Yhanosz and being succesfull against Drax? The first feat being the one that is actually measurable since Ego's mind is way bigger than a human's if nothing else.

And does taking control of Ego's mind mean doom loses his body? Because MCU knows where to go to kill Ego thanks to Heimdall.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Kinda not how it works.
    Eh, I dunno: Mantis has feats for trivially reading and affecting the emotions of everyone she tries it on outside of Thanos and Ego. I mean, she says "sleep" and Drax fals down and goes boom. She says "wake" and Thor, post off-screen suffering at the hands of (one of Thanos/his kids/the starship bombardment from Sanctuary/all of the above), post on-screen torture with the power stone, post having his ship finally totaled by bombardment from Sanctuary and, finally, post floating around in the vacuum of space for an extended period, wakes right up. She manages to restrain Thanos, with EXTREME effort, for a short period of time, and makes it clear that she couldn't do it for long. She makes Ego sleep when he's agreeing to her ministrations, but she can't maintain him in sleep when he's fighting her. It's pretty clear that Thanos and Ego are more powerful, mentally, than the other characters. So it kind of does work that way.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Eh, I dunno: Mantis has feats for trivially reading and affecting the emotions of everyone she tries it on outside of Thanos and Ego. I mean, she says "sleep" and Drax fals down and goes boom. She says "wake" and Thor, post off-screen suffering at the hands of (one of Thanos/his kids/the starship bombardment from Sanctuary/all of the above), post on-screen torture with the power stone, post having his ship finally totaled by bombardment from Sanctuary and, finally, post floating around in the vacuum of space for an extended period, wakes right up. She manages to restrain Thanos, with EXTREME effort, for a short period of time, and makes it clear that she couldn't do it for long. She makes Ego sleep when he's agreeing to her ministrations, but she can't maintain him in sleep when he's fighting her. It's pretty clear that Thanos and Ego are more powerful, mentally, than the other characters. So it kind of does work that way.
    Actually, Mantis only failed to keep Ego asleep (against his will, though she was struggling), because she gets cracked in the head and KO'd, by falling debris.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan