Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Actually, Mantis only failed to keep Ego asleep (against his will, though she was struggling), because she gets cracked in the head and KO'd, by falling debris.
    Right, she was struggling, and was showing it, and, iirc, she had said that she couldn't hold it for long as well. As opposed to "SLEEP" and Drax drops, and stays dropped with no contact and no effort.

I'm not saying that MCU Thanos has 616 Thanos level willpower or anything, but he (and Ego) are quite clearly a large cut above most of the other characters.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Right, she was struggling, and was showing it, and, iirc, she had said that she couldn't hold it for long as well. As opposed to "SLEEP" and Drax drops, and stays dropped with no contact and no effort.

I'm not saying that MCU Thanos has 616 Thanos level willpower or anything, but he (and Ego) are quite clearly a large cut above most of the other characters.
    It mostly just means they're a cut above some other MCU characters, at which point we're into, feats for their mental resiliences?

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    It mostly just means they're a cut above some other MCU characters, at which point we're into, feats for their mental resiliences?
    Basically, MCU has no mental resistance feats beyond Thanos' own and to a lesser extent Ego. Like, none at all.

There are some imaginative ways of creating a sense of scale for mental oomph in the MCU, but I'm not convinced they are worth a damn for Rumbles standards.

I will now go over said ideas, just for the sake of discussion.

The mind stone Loki was wielding was effortlessly capable of mind controlling anyone he touched with the thing, even Hawkeye who in theory has more willpower than average Joe. Buuut.... we see it has some limitations. The scientist saying to Black Widow that he sorta knew what he was doing and building a bit of a fail safe into the portal in NYC.

Next we have Wanda. She appears to be a step up from the mind stone, possibly because she was born of the thing. We see in AoU that she can instantly free the minds of folks the staff is controlling, like the doctor who was helping build Vision. So she at least has feats of overpowering that level of mind control. Also with Wanda, we see her capable of mind controlling many dozens of "average joes" at significant range to evacuate Sokovia. But! To mind control the Avengers she needed to be directly in their faces, blasting magic at close range and 1v1. Suggesting they perhaps having tougher willpower could not be mass controlled at range like the civilians? Also, here we see Thor /very briefly/ resist her illusions. It's not much, and maybe it was for laughs, but still. Everyone else was instant.

Mantis can wake that same dude up from a near comatose state with ease. And drop Drax and such. So we are perhaps now a level up from Wanda?

Mantis can forcefully put Ego to sleep. She can't keep him that way, as is seen when her hold breaks, he wakes right up, unlike with Drax. This is interesting because Egos mind is more evolved than an average mortal. He can in fact use his own telepathy. At one point he sticks images of his cosmic expansion into Quills mind with enough force that when Quill learns his friends (including Gamora) may die as a result he basically goes "duhhh" and keeps on being mesmerized. Only the shock of his mother manages to free him. So Ego being subdued means something.

Thanos!! Dude doesn't EVEN fall asleep. More like, gets drunk. He can still carry on conversation, remains upright, and resists Tony and Peter working in tandem to pull the glove for over a minute. Both of those guys can toss cars around like playthings. If he hadn't of been subdued on his other side by a gravity grenade, Drax and Stranges magic, it's entirely conceivable he woukd have just fought everyone off regardless of his stupor.

It's a legit feat. Even more so if you follow the flimsy logic of the other MCU feats in general.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure