Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    Snyder's a one trick pony? I assume you're just looking at dollar amounts.
    That line could be used to defend Micheal Bay.

I'm looking at good filmmaking, e.g. Dawn of the Dead, Watchmen, Man of Steel, and, yes, BvS: UE (and that's still not the unexpurgated version he wanted to give us, not entirely). 300 was a hit, but I was never into it (nor the comic).
    Dark, dark, dark, and dark. Seems like one trick to me. And Dark Superman proves a complete lack of understanding of the character on Snyder's behalf.

Whedon more or less made the same Avengers movie twice.
    More than one person is capable of being overrated at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    That line could be used to defend Micheal Bay.
    And George Lucas. But we're not discussing them.

Dark, dark, dark, and dark. Seems like one trick to me.
    Let's look at the source material: George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead. Alan Moore's Watchmen. Frank Miller's 300 and The Dark Knight Returns. Light, fluffy stuff is how you see 'em? Do you prefer your epic sagas to be watered down, e.g. Ragnarok?

And Dark Superman proves a complete lack of understanding of the character on Snyder's behalf.
    Didn't smile enough for you, eh? LOL.

More than one person is capable of being overrated at a time.
    Deep.
    Last edited by Calighoula; 10-14-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    And George Lucas. But we're not discussing them.
    True, but the point is "Just because it made money doesn't mean it is actually any good." Sales matter, since a good film without profit has failed no matter what the critics say, but if money is all that matters, the Thor: Ragnarok counts as a great film (Which it doesn't, even if a lot of people find it to be an entertaining one).

Let's look at the source material: George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead. Alan Moore's Watchmen. Frank Miller's 300 and The Dark Knight Returns. Light, fluffy stuff is how you see 'em? Do you prefer your epic sagas to be watered down, e.g. Ragnarok?
    I'm still not seeing a second trick from Snyder. Although judging from what he tries to make most of the time it seems at least he is aware of this fact even if you are not.

Didn't smile enough for you, eh? LOL.
    Superman is supposed to be inspiring, not frightening (outside of an Elseworlds tale, at least). Grimdark Superman is about as tonally accurate as a Batman who cracks jokes (not valid when cowl worn by Dick Grayson).

True, but the point is "Just because it made money doesn't mean it is actually any good." Sales matter, since a good film without profit has failed no matter what the critics say, but if money is all that matters, the Thor: Ragnarok counts as a great film (Which it doesn't, even if a lot of people find it to be an entertaining one).
    Nobody disagrees with that. It's practically a cliché. I wasn't sure what angle you were playing.

Superman is supposed to be inspiring, not frightening (outside of an Elseworlds tale, at least). Grimdark Superman is about as tonally accurate as a Batman who cracks jokes (not valid when cowl worn by Dick Grayson).
    MoS Superman isn't "grimdark." That term is tossed about far too loosely. We were supposed to get a scary mind-controlled Superman in a Justice League film duology, but WB thought watering everything down would bring them a billion dollar movie. How wrong they were.

Wean was superman frightening in MOS or BvS?

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Wean was superman frightening in MOS or BvS?
    He doesn't smile enough, I guess. That's scary.

When he got into the bathtub it was pretty frightening. Those things are super-germy.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    When he got into the bathtub it was pretty frightening. Those things are super-germy.
    True. You are sitting around in your own filthy water getting what was once confined to a small hole all over your body.