Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sometimes his costume seems to be lighter blue than other times. Did that change for a reason or just inking issues?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Sometimes his costume seems to be lighter blue than other times. Did that change for a reason or just inking issues?
    I dont know could be because of inking or maybe its just artist thinking blue is blue i cant say for sure

Spectacular Member

I liked Freddy on the outsiders than i did with him on the Titans. I mean there was less fighting and I loved Freddy interactions with Grace, Starfire and Katana.
    RCO002_1469349089.jpgRCO015_1469374576 (2).jpgRCO004_1469374629.jpg

Spectacular Member

What were you guys thoughts on freddy and his portrayal in shazam#1?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by SelinaK12 View Post
    What were you guys thoughts on freddy and his portrayal in shazam#1?
    I liked the story and the art but absolutely hate what they did to Freddy. Other than the name and a blue costume, they took everything that made Freddy and did away with it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by gman451 View Post
    I liked the story and the art but absolutely hate what they did to Freddy. Other than the name and a blue costume, they took everything that made Freddy and did away with it.
    I agree. Sadly writers have been doing just that everytime they write freddy taking things away from him and Johns just simply finished it.

All-New Member

To expand on my answer somewhat:

Freddy/Junior was Independent. Although created from Cap's power and with Cap being his idol, Junior did not need Cap to function. He appeared in 591 of his own stories after all. I cannot see the New Freddy ever appearing without at least one of the other Shazam clan around.

Freddy/Junior was Intelligent. You would never have heard him say George Washington fought the Germans. Nor would you hear him say he hated history.

Freddy/Junior was level-headed and practical. I like to think he was somewhat schizoid (i.e. never getting overly excited or emotional). Yes. That makes for a more boring character. But you would never hear him get excited because guys and gals with uzis were attacking us in the museum. Freddy could be surprised but then he'd immediately turn into Junior and handle the situation.

Freddy/junior had an iconic look. Can you imagine Elvis being impressed with the current Freddy? Not.

Junior was a teenager. That was why he was created (or at least one of the reasons). He was the first non-sidekick teenage superhero in comics. Given how young Robin was then, it could be argued that he was the first "teenage" superhero.

I could go on but you get the picture. Honestly, the character in the new Shazam is okay. He's just not Freddy/Junior and what aggravates me is worry -- will we ever see the real Freddy/Junior again.

Is this also a thread for bashing blonde Freddy, one of the worst changes to a classic character design I can think of? Yes, let's get rid of Mac Raboy's elegant, distinctive design for a dude who looks like an alternate Earth Sentry.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I only saw the issue preview but this and the kid in the movie doesn't feel like the same character.
    The impression I get is like Pete Ross in Superman Secret Origin. The blond, expressive, exuberant best friend, though Pete is more of a jock there.

I didn't read the New 52 Shazam so I saw what his superhero version looks like didn't know that was supposed to be Junior. He looks like a... "duuude". Just... why? The black hair teenage boy look is much cuter.

Quote Originally Posted by justinslot View Post
    Is this also a thread for bashing blonde Freddy, one of the worst changes to a classic character design I can think of? Yes, let's get rid of Mac Raboy's elegant, distinctive design for a dude who looks like an alternate Earth Sentry.
    ROFL!!!

Now I'm picturing the height of irony when Marvel sues DC for making Jr. too derivative of Sentry

Spectacular Member

My Favorite story was when Freddy teamed up with Sherlock Holmes

Spectacular Member

To expand on my answer somewhat:

Freddy/Junior was Independent. Although created from Cap's power and with Cap being his idol, Junior did not need Cap to function. He appeared in 591 of his own stories after all. I cannot see the New Freddy ever appearing without at least one of the other Shazam clan around.

Freddy/Junior was Intelligent. You would never have heard him say George Washington fought the Germans. Nor would you hear him say he hated history.

Freddy/Junior was level-headed and practical. I like to think he was somewhat schizoid (i.e. never getting overly excited or emotional). Yes. That makes for a more boring character. But you would never hear him get excited because guys and gals with uzis were attacking us in the museum. Freddy could be surprised but then he'd immediately turn into Junior and handle the situation.

Freddy/junior had an iconic look. Can you imagine Elvis being impressed with the current Freddy? Not.

Junior was a teenager. That was why he was created (or at least one of the reasons). He was the first non-sidekick teenage superhero in comics. Given how young Robin was then, it could be argued that he was the first "teenage" superhero.

I could go on but you get the picture. Honestly, the character in the new Shazam is okay. He's just not Freddy/Junior and what aggravates me is worry -- will we ever see the real Freddy/Junior again.
    Yes I hate how writers have turned Freddy from a smart,sweet, understanding boy to a cocky, girl crazy, conceited one and it breaks my heart. I get it Freddy was very handsome but there was more to his character than that.