View Poll Results: Favorite Decade for Spidey comics BESIDES the decade you first started reading?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1960s

6 17.65%
  • 1970s

4 11.76%
  • 1980s

14 41.18%
  • 1990s

3 8.82%
  • 2000s

3 8.82%
  • 2010s

4 11.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite Decade for Spidey comics BESIDES the decade you started reading them?

Typically your favorite time period for comics or your favorite comic character lines up with whatever time period it was that you first got into comics. Not surprising, it's an amazing experience in those early days of comicbookdom.

So, do you have a favorite decade for Spider-Man comics that ISN'T the decade you first got into reading spidey comics?

Maybe you started reading in the 80s but you loved the issues from the 60s when you went back to read them. Maybe you love the 2000s even though you've been reading spidey 30 years before that?

1980s, no doubt.

I started reading in the 90s, so I don't have to worry about looking at the Clone Saga or the Mackie relaunch with rose-colored glasses.

So the 80s had Stern/ Romita's Amazing Spider-Man, DeFalco/ Frenz's Amazing Spider-Man, Michelinie/ McFarlane's Amazing Spider-Man, Mantlo's Owl/ Octopus war, DeMatteis' Marvel Team Up (just came across it now), Peter David's Spectacular Spider-Man, Kraven's Last Hunt, the debut of Tombstone, and Spider-Man VS Wolverine.

Years ago, I did a ranking of top ten stories by decade. The 80s were the only period where I was compelled to do a list of ten honorable mentions.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ghlight=decade
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

1970s for me. I'm a huge fan of the college Peter stuff, in addition to the generally stellar writing at the time, and that's why I'm hoping Peter accepts Dr. Connors' offer ASAP. Like, why is it taking so long? I'm getting more and more worried that he isn't going to take it for whatever reason...
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

The 1970s for me.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

I started in the 90s. Going with the tens.

Started reading in the 80s, so since I can't pick that I'm going 70s

Probably 70's-80's (I started in the 90's)
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Started reading in the mid 70s.
    So I'll have to jump back to the 60s as my next favorite era.

Three names:

Jim Owsley
    Roger Stern
    Peter David

That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorPeterParker View Post
    Three names:

Jim Owsley
    Roger Stern
    Peter David

That is all.
    Omit Owsley and replace with Tom DeFalco and I am right there with ya!! ;-)

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Best books in my opinion were the 1980s.

Favorite were the 1990s.

Amazing Spider-Man #317 got me into collecting. That issue placed Venom as the boogeyman for Spider-Man in my books.

Since that issue was in the late 80s, the 90s followed. It produced some crazy stories, but it to me, they were the most fun and memorable.

- Amazing Spider-Man #350: vs Doctor Doom. Doom owned Spider-Man. It wasn't even a contest. I was a huge spider-man fan at the time but I had no problems with this fight. The story and the action made this my second favorite Spider-Man Comic
    - The clone stories: Personally, I didn't like the clone stories, but I'll never forget it.
    - DC vs Marvel: Spider-Man vs Superboy
    - Venom Mini Series: The 90s were a fun time to be a Venom fan and the majority of his series were great to read.
    - Animated Series: Still my favorite spider animated series to date. Best Venom and Hobgoblin
    - Maximum Carnage
    - Batman/Spider-Man: Spider-Man vs the Joker. Batman vs Carnage.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 10-16-2018 at 05:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Omit Owsley and replace with Tom DeFalco and I am right there with ya!! ;-)
    DeFalco's 80's run is probably the best work of his career besides Spider-Girl, but he's objectively not a good writer. His tenure as Editor-In-Chief during the 90's was Marvel's low point in my opinion.

The first few Spider-Man books I read were in the 80's when I was really young, but I didn't really start hitting it hard until '91, so I'll say that the 90's were my starting point. Favorite era besides would be the 80's. The 70's had some good stuff, too.

BANNED

Overall, I love the 80s, but the 2000s got me through a lot of trying times in college and in life, that's also when I discovered Spider-Girl, Ultimate Spider-Man, and the daily comic strip, which were all fun alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Started reading in the mid 70s.
    So I'll have to jump back to the 60s as my next favorite era.
    Late 70's for me. So I voted for the 60's.