Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Honestly, as much as I love Donnie Yen, I actually think the two on one fight just before it was actually more fun than the one sided curbstomp that followed. As cathartic as that scene can be.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Product of it's time, but pretty much (what Keaton/Lloyd were to more slapstick) Fairbanks kicked off and popularized the Action Hero genera (also check his Black Pirate, Robin hood etc.), and influenced everything that followed, from Batman to Indiana (Lucas/Spielberg) Jones, to Jackie Chan, does all his own stunts, was doing free running parkour before a bunch of hipsteurs on the interwebs pretended they just invented it, by giving it a silly new name.
    And his action helped define and influence the Super Hero as we know it.

Jerry Siegel: "I loved The Mark of Zorro, and I'm sure that had some influence on me." ..."When writing the script, I had Douglass Fairbanks very much in mind in the athletic stunts that he did too, so the influence of Douglass Fairbanks was not only in the art but in the visual action."

Joe Shuster - "I was a great fan of Douglas Fairbanks, and so was Jerry and I tried to use his stance, the way Douglass Fairbanks looked, ...with his hands on his hips, in Robin Hood and Mark of Zorro, in all those he had those marvelous attitude..." " [His costume] was inspired by the costume pictures that Fairbanks did: they greatly influenced us. He did The Mark of Zorro, and Robin Hood, and a marvelous one called The Black Pirate - Fairbanks would swing on ropes very much like Superman flying... the feeling of action as he was flying or jumping or leaping - a flowing cape would give it movement.

Bill Finger - "Batman was a combination of Douglas Fairbanks [who played Zorro] and Sherlock Holmes."

Bob Kane -"Zorro’s use of a mask to conceal his identity as Don Diego gave me the idea of giving Batman a secret identity…Bruce Wayne would be a man of means who put on a façade of being effete. Zorro rode a black horse called Tornado and would enter a cave and exit from a grandfather clock in the living room. The bat-cave was inspired by this cave in Zorro. I didn't want Batman to be a Superhero with superpowers…So I made Batman an ordinary human being; he is just an athlete who has the physical prowess of Douglas Fairbanks, Sr., who was my all-time favorite hero in the movies.”
    Yet it still hold up today.
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-31-2023 at 02:09 PM.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Fantastic Member

Princess Principal, Chise vs Jubei:

Fantastic Member

And from the same studio, the Black Fox preview has me hyped:

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Swiss army nerd

Has anyone posted the Naruto and Sasuke tag team battle from Boruto yet? I could watch that all day

Operation Firestorm from Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. I absolutely love seeing the modern US military portrayed well in a sci-fi series, and not like useless noobs just because they are up against a sci-fi/fantasy opponent.

Music makes such a big difference. Yay fanedits!

I really enjoyed the big hero vs hero fight scene in Captain America: Civil War. It's possibly the best superheam team fight scene that I've seen on screen.

Good balance between realistic fighting (the boxing combos, wrestling, judo, and footwork from old Batsy) and the more comic-booky stuff (the nerve bundle attack, for instance, or some wide movements from Batman), with quality animation.

How often do you see a slice-of-life kid's show about pastel-colored ponies temporarily turn into something out of Dragon Ball Z?
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis