Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

As per Star Wars, I'm kind of "prequelist" and I love the light saber scenes.

I actually still watch all the scenes regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Out of curiosity, why?
    *raises hand*

I enjoyed it because their last interaction started with Arya asking a million questions about knights and swords with names and looking up to a woman that can fight in general.

The re introduction was cool because the audience and perhaps Arya herself finally realize she has made it to that level.

Also it's cool to see Briennes face as she gets surprised and ramps up. :P
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    *raises hand*

I enjoyed it because their last interaction started with Arya asking a million questions about knights and swords with names and looking up to a woman that can fight in general.
    That part, I understand.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

That part, I understand.
    The part of that fight I DIDNT enjoy was the fact that I dont believe we ever saw Arya receive any sword training at all during her time with the faceless man. Like, none. I get it probably happened off screen, but still. We see her using strategies her dancing master taught her. *shrugs*
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

The part of that fight I DIDNT enjoy was the fact that I dont believe we ever saw Arya receive any sword training at all during her time with the faceless man. Like, none. I get it probably happened off screen, but still. We see her using strategies her dancing master taught her. *shrugs*
    Having looked it up and watched it, I'm not exactly partial to the choreography. But then, I'm probably expecting too much. ^_^

Mileage, it doth vary.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Having looked it up and watched it, I'm not exactly partial to the choreography. But then, I'm probably expecting too much. ^_^

Mileage, it doth vary.
    Yeah, it's not winning any awards. Especially when Brienne vs the Hound exists in the same medium.

It wins points for emotion, not style imo
    - big_adventure

Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Yeah, it's not winning any awards. Especially when Brienne vs the Hound exists in the same medium.

It wins points for emotion, not style imo
    I'm less talking about style, here, and more about the abysmal display of skill that Brienne displays (actual skill, I mean, not 'win or lose a story fight = more skilled' kind of thing). Between her off-target attacks, the leading with the body, the refusal to use her reach, the wildly telegraphed and overextended stuff, the fact that she stops to allow Arya to do stuff, etc...

It just looks like someone massively jobbing.

But again, I'm probably asking too much from a TV show. I honestly find it hard to watch fight scenes these days without wanting to throw stuff at the screen. ^_^
    Why are we here?

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

this fight scene was too good to be in this movie. but then again, it is micheal jai white.

I'm less talking about style, here, and more about the abysmal display of skill that Brienne displays (actual skill, I mean, not 'win or lose a story fight = more skilled' kind of thing). Between her off-target attacks, the leading with the body, the refusal to use her reach, the wildly telegraphed and overextended stuff, the fact that she stops to allow Arya to do stuff, etc...

It just looks like someone massively jobbing.

But again, I'm probably asking too much from a TV show. I honestly find it hard to watch fight scenes these days without wanting to throw stuff at the screen. ^_^
    Remind me to never invite you over to movie night. :P

*puts bubblewrap around tv* Wort wort wort.
    - big_adventure

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

before i showed my mom this scene, she hated the bond movies. after this, she loved daniel craig as bond.

Here we are. One of my all-time favourites, if not THE favourite fight sequence.

One of the things I like best about this is that there's none of that 'back and forth' crap you see in Hollywood stuff, where one guy does one thing, the other guy blocks and then does HIS thing, etc. This is really fluid, really mobile, all done at actual hitting ranges, done with really fundamental stuff for the most part, and yet showcases a lot of skill (Yen even pulls out four picture perfect Judo throws, but other than that, there's little stylistic stuff). The locks and holds are PROPERLY done, down to the little details (like the triangle choke at 1:10, which also illustrates the potential dangers of grappling off a mat with no rules). AND there's a scene in the middle of the fight where they both kind of lose it and just start whaling away on each other. ^_^

And yeah, while it's clear the actors are pulling their hits, they almost always in hitting range and often are actually landing shots -- it's not just camera-work being sneaky to make it look like they hit when they didn't. Which makes it look all the better.

And it's pretty hilarious that while both people soak up amazing amounts of punishment, they also feel it; it's hard to believe that they manage to keep fighting after falling, as an example, but they also don't just hop to their feet and go at it.

Oh, and the fight is finished by choke-out.

It's chaotic, it's crazy, and it's two guys on the top of their action movie game really going at it. My only complaint is 'too many haymakers'. But there was a lot of MMA studied for this particular movie, and it admittedly shows.

For the confused, the old woman in the middle of the fight is Collin Chou's character's mother; she has dementia, which is why it just gets him all riled up when she doesn't recognize him (or realize that his two brothers are dead).
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 10-15-2018 at 08:54 AM.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    before i showed my mom this scene, she hated the bond movies. after this, she loved daniel craig as bond.
    My wife LOVED that. Which reminds me: Banlieue 13 has a good fight sequence, and fantastic Parkour that blows away any other Parkour you've seen in movies.

Here's the fight.

By now my preferences should be obvious: realistic, insomuch as fancy movie fighting could be. ^_^

Remind me to never invite you over to movie night. :P

*puts bubblewrap around tv* Wort wort wort.
    It's a struggle, but I don't exactly go through reams of TV's or anything.
    Why are we here?

Ok, four pages and not a single person has posted a Jackie Chan video. That is just not right.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Ok, four pages and not a single person has posted a Jackie Chan video. That is just not right.
    His two Benny The Jet fights have been mentioned. I personally like the one you posted. ^_^
    Why are we here?