Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Is Rogol Zaar a hit or a miss?

Villains come and go. Some antagonists manage to sustain potential to the point where they eventually become a classic villain to the superhero's rogues gallery, while others fade into obscurity usually after their creator leaves the book. Creating new villains for an iconic superhero like Superman is a tall order especially in comparison to the Superman rogues that have become classic. Since his introduction, Rogol Zaar has been hyped up as the next big heavy hitter to Superman and so far he hasn't clicked with me.

What say you? Do you see Rogol Zaar as a hit or a miss?

Astonishing Member

Miss. You know the feeling when someone has hit pay dirt when it comes to crafting new villains for longstanding characters. Court of Owl was someone creating a modern day classic.

But honestly even amongst his "standard" villains there is something lacking with some of them. Doomsday and Zod come to mind. The focus of both characters is to give Superman someone to tussle with all out but Zod feels behind the curve given what Kal goes through on the daily and Doomsday is just a walking gun. Bring back Terraman and Xavier imo, think outside the box.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

So far he’s been a miss. I can see the potential with him, but that’s all it is: Potential. I’m ready for the current arc focusing on him to be over and for us to move on.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Miss. He has even a lame design. I can see Rogol Zaar being easily forgotten after Bendis run will end.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Miss. He's just another villain of the week so far and he's way over designed in that Jim Lee way. He can be saved (Mr. Freeze was a joke until BTAS, after all), sure, but currently he's a dud.

No character is a hit or miss until they are in the hands of another creator. On super villain aesthetics he is a miss ,His face looks kinda silly to me ,Some sort of mask then revealing his face would be better otherwise his design fine. In Functionality he is a hit ,He is villian that can go head to head with superman physically and mentally. But of course that means he has to be taken off the board which makes him harder to use over time. He is not Lex, Zod, Darkseid, Brainiac but could be Doomsday,Mongul or Parasite.

Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    Villains come and go. Some antagonists manage to sustain potential to the point where they eventually become a classic villain to the superhero's rogues gallery, while others fade into obscurity usually after their creator leaves the book. Creating new villains for an iconic superhero like Superman is a tall order especially in comparison to the Superman rogues that have become classic. Since his introduction, Rogol Zaar has been hyped up as the next big heavy hitter to Superman and so far he hasn't clicked with me.

What say you? Do you see Rogol Zaar as a hit or a miss?
    I hope he lasts longer than Judas Traveller did for Spider-Man.

What are Rogol's powers, exactly? What does his battle staff do? Can he fly on his own?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I hope he lasts longer than Judas Traveller did for Spider-Man.

What are Rogol's powers, exactly? What does his battle staff do? Can he fly on his own?
    He’s at least as strong, fast, and tough as Supes himself. Doesn’t look like he can fly on his own. No idea what tech he has access to although he either built a bomb capable of blowing up Earth or somehow acquired one.

Boisterously Confused

Position reconsidered, and confirmed: Miss.

I've taken more time to think about this. Part of the power of Superman's story is the idea that he comes from a civilization vastly more advanced than our own, that was still unable to avoid its demise. There should be room to leave audiences to interpret whether that demise was a result of The Kryptonians' own arrogance, or just that Nature is ultimately beyond even the greatest of mortal capabilities. That makes for an especially powerful backstory in an age when we're wondering if our own world is on its way to becoming uninhabitable.

Taking that away, just to infuse some antagonism into the relationship with a new character, seems wasteful.