Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Ugh hearing yall talk about this show makes me want to watch it now but ima just wait for disney+ rather then buy every episode.

Where would you guys rate the quality compared to Avengers Assemble and Earth Mighties heroes?
    It's kind of hard to compare them since this was more a Black Panther cartoon with Avengers members as supporting characters then an actual Avengers cartoon, but I'd say the writing and storytelling is more on-par with EMH then Assemble.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I wish this show had gotten 25 or 26 episodes but they did the best to tell their story. I'm kind of surprised at the number of characters this show killed off. I don't remember past Avengers shows doing that, at least in the last 6 or 7 years, correct me if I'm wrong.

You can argue T'Challa and Shuri have grown as characters, but I don't see how Wakanda is better off. A decent number of Wakandans were undoubtedly killed when Atlantis attacked, not just Hunter. The structural damage is kind of secondary. Outside of that I imagine Wakanda's world standing is irreparably damaged, at least with a few nations. T'Challa was public enemy number 1 for months, distrusted by the Avengers, the U.S. Atlantis and their allies. The icing on the cake has to be the Atlantis nuking tho. Those events will stay with people for generations.

Don't let me drag you all down tho this is just how I am. I'm the guy who went to see SKYFALL (James Bond) and argued how the villain won in the end. Killmonger ultimately loses but I think he leaves some scars on T'Challa and Wakanda for the foreseeable future. At the very least his relationship with the Avengers specifically Hawkeye and Cap can never be the same.
    I think things are just slightly rosier than that but one of the hidden joys of this season was all the stuff we left to set up whatever might come next. The main plots were resolved of course b ut all th things you said and more are still left unresolved. If there's more to make there's a lot to play with. and that's not accidental. even though we don't know if there will be more if if these things are ever going to be picked up again. we must always proceed as if they will be.

Or, at least, that's how I alwaya roll. And it think the rest of Team Panther was the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I wish this show had gotten 25 or 26 episodes but they did the best to tell their story. I'm kind of surprised at the number of characters this show killed off. I don't remember past Avengers shows doing that, at least in the last 6 or 7 years, correct me if I'm wrong.

You can argue T'Challa and Shuri have grown as characters, but I don't see how Wakanda is better off. A decent number of Wakandans were undoubtedly killed when Atlantis attacked, not just Hunter. The structural damage is kind of secondary. Outside of that I imagine Wakanda's world standing is irreparably damaged, at least with a few nations. T'Challa was public enemy number 1 for months, distrusted by the Avengers, the U.S. Atlantis and their allies. The icing on the cake has to be the Atlantis nuking tho. Those events will stay with people for generations.

Don't let me drag you all down tho this is just how I am. I'm the guy who went to see SKYFALL (James Bond) and argued how the villain won in the end. Killmonger ultimately loses but I think he leaves some scars on T'Challa and Wakanda for the foreseeable future. At the very least his relationship with the Avengers specifically Hawkeye and Cap can never be the same.
    You bring up a pretty good point. Similar to the MCU movie, we're seeing that because of the type of government Wakanda has we can see a super villain taking over Wakanda and destroying entire cities from T'Challa having one bad day. And that's gotta be scary even for people and governments who do trust T'Challa. Hopefully there will be more follow up to some of these issues, because it does leave Wakanda and Shuri in particular in a very challenging position.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    You bring up a pretty good point. Similar to the MCU movie, we're seeing that because of the type of government Wakanda has we can see a super villain taking over Wakanda and destroying entire cities from T'Challa having one bad day. And that's gotta be scary even for people and governments who do trust T'Challa. Hopefully there will be more follow up to some of these issues, because it does leave Wakanda and Shuri in particular in a very challenging position.
    So 10,000 years of piece vs 1 hour(maybe) and the whole system of government is to blame. Meanwhile countries with different types of govt., some with checks and balances go to war all the time, but Wakanda is the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    So 10,000 years of piece vs 1 hour(maybe) and the whole system of government is to blame. Meanwhile countries with different types of govt., some with checks and balances go to war all the time, but Wakanda is the problem?
    If in that one hour, an entire city was destroyed they yeah... I do think for a lot of people Wakanda is going to be viewed as a potential problem for some time. The fact that it happens that quickly and sudden without warning in particular has gotta be worrisome, because their entire stance can literally turn on a dime.

But I suppose that's the beauty of a situation like that. It creates all sorts of global tension with the rest of the world, which potentially makes for some nice stories if we ever get a chance to explore it. Shuri will have a tough job ahead of her.

If in that one hour, an entire city was destroyed they yeah... I do think for a lot of people Wakanda is going to be viewed as a potential problem for some time. The fact that it happens that quickly and sudden without warning in particular has gotta be worrisome, because their entire stance can literally turn on a dime.

But I suppose that's the beauty of a situation like that. It creates all sorts of global tension with the rest of the world, which potentially makes for some nice stories if we ever get a chance to explore it. Shuri will have a tough job ahead of her.
    Only if she cares. Wakanda closed off the boarders midway through the season and nothing bad happened to the people. The country is self sufficient as far as I can tell. If people give them problems, they'll just give them the finger like Hudlin said.

I could see world leaders thanking Wakanda too. The surface is usually in fear of Atlantis attacking with tidal waves, so they solved a potential future problem.

Only if she cares. Wakanda closed off the boarders midway through the season and nothing bad happened to the people. The country is self sufficient as far as I can tell. If people give them problems, they'll just give them the finger like Hudlin said.
    And that's the thing... I think cartoon Shuri like T'CHalla would care. Comic Shuri might be a different matter, but I'd be surprised if we got a Wakanda that returned to it's previous isolationist stance which T'Challa has been trying to reverse.

But obviously we're just speculating here... who knows. Maybe most people won't care what Wakanda did (ie maybe the show won't decide to pick up those plot threads and move in a different direction). Or maybe Shuri is more like the comic book version than I think and she will decide to return Wakanda to its isolationist status quo. Hopefully we'll get a chance to see one way or the other.

I see what your saying. For me, I don't care how the rest of the world views WK. They could close themselves off again and be just fine.

The attack only seemed to last about an hour or less. And their warriors, remember when the hand tried to invade. Average citizens were ready to fight. lol
    It's a show on Disney XD and yes the attack was very short lived, but they got straight to the capital. We weren't going to see people getting slaughtered (this is a Disney XD show), but it was pretty impressive how quickly Atlantis responded. Is Wakanda land locked in this cartoon?

Yeah this show had some high stakes. The crown almost leveling New York. Captain America presumed dead for a decent stretch of time. T'Challa against the Avengers, spider-man etc. Attuma's death. Atlantis destruction. The War. Huner's death. I'm looking back on and I've got to admit this show went for it ways I did not anticipate.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    I think things are just slightly rosier than that but one of the hidden joys of this season was all the stuff we left to set up whatever might come next. The main plots were resolved of course b ut all th things you said and more are still left unresolved. If there's more to make there's a lot to play with. and that's not accidental. even though we don't know if there will be more if if these things are ever going to be picked up again. we must always proceed as if they will be.

Or, at least, that's how I alwaya roll. And it think the rest of Team Panther was the same.
    Thanks for taking the time to chat with us all and give us the inside scoop on all things Panther Quest.

Personally I'm not a fan of taking the throne from T'Challa while he's still breathing, but its happened before in other works and will probably happen again at some point. If given another episode or two would you have given Shuri more of a moment? I think it would have been cool to see some ceremony where she ascends to the throne in her Black Panther garb since you went that route.
    The J-man

I'd put it way ahead of what little Avengers Assemble I saw (couldn't even finish the first season). I think early on that was catering more towards younger kids, and didn't do it for me.

I'd put Earths Mightiest heroes ahead of it, but only by a hair.
    Avengers assemble grew up on me but yea EMH I put up there with DCAU shows.gonna be nice to have awhole seaon to binge by the time I watch it

That was a weird scene. They must have underwater rivers that go to the ocean.

Killmongers had dinosaurs the city in Panthers Rage. Rhino made to the suburbs. Achebe set prowlers loose on the city. The capital being attack isn't new, but its usually brushed aside the same way you would have to assume people die when monsters attack in FF.

On Tchalla, the way it seemed is he is still BP even though he is not King. Hawkeyes new glasses confirmed it. I guess its like Priest and the movie in that the two offices can be separated. I'd hate it if Shuri was BP too with no KoTD backdoor. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Avengers assemble grew up on me but yea EMH I put up there with DCAU shows.gonna be nice to have awhole seaon to binge by the time I watch it
    What shows of the DCAU? Cause that's a wide spectrum.

I'm going to miss Trevor Devall's Klaw. I mean, he's not the master of sound nemesis for the Black Panther that he's usually depicted as, but him being Black Panther's unwitting villain buddy was hilarious.

Poor M'Baku. Although I guess his gorilla armor was probably sturdy enough to let him survive the fall.

I liked Shuri "challenging" Bask in her own way, eschewing a physical challenge for a mental one by making Bask realize how her actions were damaging Wakanda and get Bask to regain her humanity and redeem herself. Shuri on this show has always been quicker with her wit and words, so it makes sense that her way of defeating Bask would be different from how T'Challa probably would've done it.

I've never been too crazy about this show's version of Killmonger right up to the end. I love his costume, love his VA, and the re-framing of him as a Wakandan closer to T'Chaka who mentored the royal family was interesting (even if I felt like the show never really did anything with that aspect), but outside killing Attuma he's mostly felt like more talk then an impressive and imposing villain. Even his final fight with T'Challa was just decent instead of a really climactic showdown...although I guess maybe the emphasis was on all the stuff that came after that fight.

I didn't really care for Hunters' death. It felt too fast for it to really have the weight it needed and, honestly, Tiger Shark's blow really didn't seem all that severe compared to some of the other hits we've seen on this show (I know there's only so much you can get away with on a kids show, but still). I think killing off Tiger Shark would've been less of a loss then losing Hunter.

T'Challa losing his status as king and Shuri becoming queen doesn't seem like a status quo that would've stuck in the long-term, but it was definitely an interesting and surprising note to leave off on. I guess T'Challa's always struggled with the politics and stature of being a king, and having to manage so many different intricacies from his status as ruler, so having the freedom to be just a pure hero and protector of Wakanda and the world is probably very liberating. Besides, on this show he's definitely done more adventuring then actual ruling, so it doesn't really change much of how he actually operates beyond not being able to waive around that he's a king anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm going to miss Trevor Devall's Klaw. I mean, he's not the master of sound nemesis for the Black Panther that he's usually depicted as, but him being Black Panther's unwitting villain buddy was hilarious.

Poor M'Baku. Although I guess his gorilla armor was probably sturdy enough to let him survive the fall.

I liked Shuri "challenging" Bask in her own way, eschewing a physical challenge for a mental one by making Bask realize how her actions were damaging Wakanda and get Bask to regain her humanity and redeem herself. Shuri on this show has always been quicker with her wit and words, so it makes sense that her way of defeating Bask would be different from how T'Challa probably would've done it.

I've never been too crazy about this show's version of Killmonger right up to the end. I love his costume, love his VA, and the re-framing of him as a Wakandan closer to T'Chaka who mentored the royal family was interesting (even if I felt like the show never really did anything with that aspect), but outside killing Attuma he's mostly felt like more talk then an impressive and imposing villain. Even his final fight with T'Challa was just decent instead of a really climactic showdown...although I guess maybe the emphasis was on all the stuff that came after that fight.

I didn't really care for Hunters' death. It felt too fast for it to really have the weight it needed and, honestly, Tiger Shark's blow really didn't seem all that severe compared to some of the other hits we've seen on this show (I know there's only so much you can get away with on a kids show, but still). I think killing off Tiger Shark would've been less of a loss then losing Hunter.

T'Challa losing his status as king and Shuri becoming queen doesn't seem like a status quo that would've stuck in the long-term, but it was definitely an interesting and surprising note to leave off on. I guess T'Challa's always struggled with the politics and stature of being a king, and having to manage so many different intricacies from his status as ruler, so having the freedom to be just a pure hero and protector of Wakanda and the world is probably very liberating. Besides, on this show he's definitely done more adventuring then actual ruling, so it doesn't really change much of how he actually operates beyond not being able to waive around that he's a king anymore.
    While I have my own ideas about how all that should be followed up should there be another season with a panther focus (as i'm sure does Marvel) the job of a good storyteller in this venue is to set up enough interesting plot stuff for WHICHEVER driver comes next to play with as needed.

We did not return anybody to where they were at the outset of the season. ALL relationships were irrevocably altered either for the worse or for the better. We introduced enough new and altered characters for them to be wild cards in any subsequent seasons and we positioned BP as a hero with his own heroic universe, one that sometimes overlaps with the Avengers plots but which is no longer secondary to them or to anyone else's story. And he's absolutely NOT a Batman clone in any way.

these were some of my personal creative goals when I accepted the gig and, on those points, I think we stuck the landing. There are always things that could have been done better in retrospect or which you'd do differently now that you've had some thinking time but, if this is the only time I ever get to guide T'Challa's story, I'm content to stand on it. Hell, if all we got out of this was Zanda and Yemandi, I'm good. Hella good.
    Last edited by Redjack; 02-25-2019 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

At first I was surprised at Hunters death, because it seemed like it came out of nowhere. He didn't seem to take any dramatically lethal blows. But when you think about it, it's probably one of the more realistic deaths we've seen. Tiger Shark is a meta human tank... there are only so many hits a person should be able to take. Did feel like his death needed a bit more time though.

As far as T'Challa losing his crown... I wonder if that means he'll be more of a full time Avenger when the cartoon returns. Maybe even the leader of the group, like the comics. THat might be cool.