Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Nightwing and Flamebird

Do you think DC should give Nightwing a sidekick? if you do, should they invent a new sidekick for him or should they use an already established character?

I would love to see Dick get his own sidekick again. It worked well with Damian when he was Robin.

As for who Dick's new sidekick should be, I think Jon Kent should be Nightwing's Flamebird. I think it would work for a few reasons. Firstly, Jon has been having trouble with his dad as of late, and I think it would be fun to see him go off and find himself by going under Dick Grayson's wing. Secondly, Jon is half Kryptonian so it would be a fun nod to the "Nightwing and flamebird" Kryptonian myth from the comics. Thirdly, I think it would be interesting to see how the bright and happy Jon would react to the worst criminals in the DC Universe. And finally, Jon becoming the sidekick to Dick could cause tension with Damian, which could be interesting.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

If Tim is going to be Robin again, let Damian be Flamebird.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    If Tim is going to be Robin again, let Damian be Flamebird.
    I would definitely like to see Damian as Flamebird if he's going to be stripped of his Robin title with Bruce's One True Love stepping back into the saddle.

Astonishing Member

Damian was Redbird to Jason's Wingman.

I thought Redbird was a good look. He could rename it Flamebird.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I would definitely like to see Damian as Flamebird if he's going to be stripped of his Robin title with Bruce's One True Love stepping back into the saddle.
    But Damian has already been Redbird, so maybe he should go back to that one.

Bette Kane was previously Flamebird, but I don't think she wants to take a step back to that.

Maybe Carrie Kelley or, in a nod to the original Nightwing and Flamebird pairing, Jimmy Olsen could become Flamebird again (just not in the bottle city of Kandor this time).

BANNED

I'd have no problem with Nightwing and Redbird.

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    Do you think DC should give Nightwing a sidekick? if you do, should they invent a new sidekick for him or should they use an already established character?
    I absolutely agree. Dick with a sidekick (or junior partner) is always good fun. He had the best dynamic with Damien, and his brotherly relationship with Tim back in the day always felt genuine to me. Not to mention all the great moments we've gotten from Nightwing training younger Titans. So hell yes, Dick getting a sidekick is something I support.

Additionally, I think that having a legacy/partner/sidekick is one of the requirements for a property/character hitting the A-list, and I very much want to see Nightwing break through that glass ceiling.

As for who this sidekick could be? Whoever the best writer has the best idea for.

Now, I myself would like to see Bette return to the Flamebird identity and become Dick's sidekick (but not love interest). I think it'd make for some good tension with Kate, and Bette and Dick have a solid, enjoyable dynamic. There's precedence for "Nightwing and Flamebird" and these days Bette is written as being both younger and less experienced/skilled than Nightwing, so I don't see the sidekick position being beneath her.

Jon Kent....I'd like to see him meet and build a relationship with "uncle" Dick but I don't need to see him slide so deeply into the Bat-clan that he becomes Dick's sidekick. His friendship with Damien and the occasional team-up with Nightwing (or Tim or whoever) is enough. But I do want to see Dick have more of a relationship with Clark and Clark's family. Dick and Clark were close once, and I miss that relationship. I think Clark, Dick, and Jon together for an adventure would be amazing.

But you know who's half Kryptonian and needs a new name and role in the DCU? Conner Kent. He's coming back in Bendis' Young Justice, with the 90's costume even, but I dunno if he's gonna be calling himself Superboy now, nor what his role (if any) is going to be within the Superman family. But I really liked the few times Conner and Dick hung out (there was one issue during Infinite Crisis where they travel together and I thought it showed potential for the duo). So if he's going to distance himself from the Kents, well, he does have an uncle he barely knows out around Gotham. If ya'll couldn't tell, I'm a big fan of Nightwing hanging out with the Super-family more often just on principal.

I'd rather not see a character like Carrie Kelly introduced into the main DCU just to be completely changed around, stripped of the Robin mantle and turned into Dick's sidekick instead of Old Man Bruce's. It just seems pointless. At that point, the only thing she'd have in common with the original is the name (and presumably red hair).

Spoiler, Signal, Cass Cain, and Tim all seem like viable options. They're Bats without a home, but that sort of feels like throwing them into Nightwing's house because no one else knows what to do with them. Still, I love Tim (or rather, what Tim used to be) and I like Cass a whole hell of a lot, so I wouldn't argue if this happened.

Someone new could be good, honestly. Custom made character designed to fit the role.....it's not the worst direction to go, though people will complain about a new character coming out when so many other Bats are in limbo or barely getting used.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I absolutely agree. Dick with a sidekick (or junior partner) is always good fun. He had the best dynamic with Damien, and his brotherly relationship with Tim back in the day always felt genuine to me. Not to mention all the great moments we've gotten from Nightwing training younger Titans. So hell yes, Dick getting a sidekick is something I support.

Additionally, I think that having a legacy/partner/sidekick is one of the requirements for a property/character hitting the A-list, and I very much want to see Nightwing break through that glass ceiling.

As for who this sidekick could be? Whoever the best writer has the best idea for.

Now, I myself would like to see Bette return to the Flamebird identity and become Dick's sidekick (but not love interest). I think it'd make for some good tension with Kate, and Bette and Dick have a solid, enjoyable dynamic. There's precedence for "Nightwing and Flamebird" and these days Bette is written as being both younger and less experienced/skilled than Nightwing, so I don't see the sidekick position being beneath her.

Jon Kent....I'd like to see him meet and build a relationship with "uncle" Dick but I don't need to see him slide so deeply into the Bat-clan that he becomes Dick's sidekick. His friendship with Damien and the occasional team-up with Nightwing (or Tim or whoever) is enough. But I do want to see Dick have more of a relationship with Clark and Clark's family. Dick and Clark were close once, and I miss that relationship. I think Clark, Dick, and Jon together for an adventure would be amazing.

But you know who's half Kryptonian and needs a new name and role in the DCU? Conner Kent. He's coming back in Bendis' Young Justice, with the 90's costume even, but I dunno if he's gonna be calling himself Superboy now, nor what his role (if any) is going to be within the Superman family. But I really liked the few times Conner and Dick hung out (there was one issue during Infinite Crisis where they travel together and I thought it showed potential for the duo). So if he's going to distance himself from the Kents, well, he does have an uncle he barely knows out around Gotham. If ya'll couldn't tell, I'm a big fan of Nightwing hanging out with the Super-family more often just on principal.

I'd rather not see a character like Carrie Kelly introduced into the main DCU just to be completely changed around, stripped of the Robin mantle and turned into Dick's sidekick instead of Old Man Bruce's. It just seems pointless. At that point, the only thing she'd have in common with the original is the name (and presumably red hair).

Spoiler, Signal, Cass Cain, and Tim all seem like viable options. They're Bats without a home, but that sort of feels like throwing them into Nightwing's house because no one else knows what to do with them. Still, I love Tim (or rather, what Tim used to be) and I like Cass a whole hell of a lot, so I wouldn't argue if this happened.

Someone new could be good, honestly. Custom made character designed to fit the role.....it's not the worst direction to go, though people will complain about a new character coming out when so many other Bats are in limbo or barely getting used.
    If you went the bat route it would have to be someone like Bette or Damian.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Thank you Ascended. I was really seeing red there. To me it would be horrible and about par for the course, that they would take Bette's identity away from her, after everything else her character has been subjected to, and outright neglect.

I think Flamebird was originally intended to be Batwoman's sidekick until they lost the original creative pair. The idea was of an 'inverted' type of look at "Batman & Robin".

For what seems like years I've lamented the ill treatment and neglect of Flamebird, who has actually held the moniker longer than any other such-named character in the DC verse.

If I can't have Bette as Flamebird to Dick's Nightwing than I really hope that the OP's ideas do not come to pass.

Just make Steph nightwing's partner so she can have role and home.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Thank you Ascended. I was really seeing red there. To me it would be horrible and about par for the course, that they would take Bette's identity away from her, after everything else her character has been subjected to, and outright neglect.

I think Flamebird was originally intended to be Batwoman's sidekick until they lost the original creative pair. The idea was of an 'inverted' type of look at "Batman & Robin".

For what seems like years I've lamented the ill treatment and neglect of Flamebird, who has actually held the moniker longer than any other such-named character in the DC verse.

If I can't have Bette as Flamebird to Dick's Nightwing than I really hope that the OP's ideas do not come to pass.
    Flamebird goes with Nightwing. It was Bat-girl who was introduced as Bat-Womans partner.
    Nightwing and Flamebird were Kryptonian equivalents to Batman and Robin.
    Besides Bette is Hawkfire these days isn't she.
    I concur with Steph being Flamebird to Dick's Nightwing.

BANNED

But not against Bette being Dick's Flamebird. Its just however that DC should restore the original Bat-Girl continuity which in turn means tieing Bette with Kathy Kane instead of Kate for that to work.

IMO No, while Dick's personality allows him to hit it off with most (younger) characters and create a "big brother" vibe, I can't see him wanting the responsibility that goes with a sidekick. That is not to say that he's one that will run from the responsibility.

I mean, what is he 24?

He's at his prime and his life is already complicated with his stuff and his family.

I am not against him teaming up with younger heroes but I can't see him going out there looking for sidekicks.

Now for Jon being Dick's sidekick...I can't see that, I mean sure Jon's having trouble with his dad right now, but he still comes from a loving home. I can't see his parents allowing him to be a sidekick in Blüdhaven, a place usually described as worst than Gotham.

(Can I see that in a fanfic sure, but in comics no)

batwoman is about to get a tv show so its only a matter of time because bette flamebird shows up there as batwomans partner for a few seasons.

Tim is robin again and in YJ, cass and duke are in Outsiders, Damian is also robin and is in TT/SS and soon Tec. and they all very strong connections with batman.

But my girl steph is rotting away in limbo. She's in and out of limbo because she doesn't have a home or role. she doesn't anywhere to go, a solo? not with this overcrowded family, YJ is all ready full, Outsiders already has two bat teens already, batgirl? DC doesn't want steph stealing any of babs batgirl shine, batman? not after tec.

Nightwing is the place to go. Steph needs a home and role while Dick needs a partner and a suport character.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    IMO No, while Dick's personality allows him to hit it off with most (younger) characters and create a "big brother" vibe, I can't see him wanting the responsibility that goes with a sidekick. That is not to say that he's one that will run from the responsibility.

I mean, what is he 24?

He's at his prime and his life is already complicated with his stuff and his family.

I am not against him teaming up with younger heroes but I can't see him going out there looking for sidekicks.

Now for Jon being Dick's sidekick...I can't see that, I mean sure Jon's having trouble with his dad right now, but he still comes from a loving home. I can't see his parents allowing him to be a sidekick in Blüdhaven, a place usually described as worst than Gotham.

(Can I see that in a fanfic sure, but in comics no)
    24? that's like the same age bruce take in dick! plus dick taking on a sidekick is not the same as becoming a dad.