Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Seriously?
    Yeah. Generally, they were set around 'Year One' but were self-contained stories. Venom had direct ties to Bane's backstory and got folded into continuity that way. Some referenced themselves but weren't mentioned in Batman or Detective and others were just bits of fun.

All-New Member

It certainly makes a strong case for the best bat book ever. But I wouldn't pick it over The Killing Joke and Arkham Asylum

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

It was a great title, and it was nice to read fun Batman stories that weren't continuity or cross-over driven (sans KnightsEnd). I definitely enjoyed the initial years a great deal more than its final few years (not including the online revival since I haven't read it).

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Most of the stories, especially pre-KnightsEnd (and excluding Venom (by that point) and the three-part crossover) were out-of-continuity. Some (like Venom) were later folded in but that wasn't the initial intention.
    I've seen people say that, but I never saw anything at the time the books came out to suggest that. At the most, there was a kind of implication that any given story might not necessarily be in continuity. I always assumed a story was in unless it was obviously out (like Watchtower).

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Leopard View Post
    Why does no one here ever talk about it?
    Well, first of all... it's old...

Yeah. Generally, they were set around 'Year One' but were self-contained stories. Venom had direct ties to Bane's backstory and got folded into continuity that way. Some referenced themselves but weren't mentioned in Batman or Detective and others were just bits of fun.
    Is there a list of which story is folded to continuity?
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-12-2018 at 05:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Is there a list of which story is folded to continuity?
    It doesn't totally answer your question but wikipedia has a nice description:
    Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, often simply Legends of the Dark Knight (LotDK) is the name of several DC comic books featuring Batman. The original series launched in 1989 as the third major monthly Batman title, following the popularity of Tim Burton's Batman film. Many of the stories follow the tone of Frank Miller's Batman: Year One. The series differs from other Batman titles of the time. The creative team rotated with every story arc and the stories stood alone, unlike the inter-connected nature of other Batman comics. Initially the title ran stories contained to five issues, often with more mature topics and sensibilities than the other Batman titles. After issue 20, the number of issues for each story began to vary and occasionally tied into crossover events.

Most stories in Legends of the Dark Knight are set early in Batman's career, although a few are set in the present and even the future. Stories set early in Batman's career are commonly referred to as "Year One" stories, loosely meaning Bruce Wayne's first several years of crime fighting as Batman.[1] Stories in the title were initially only from before Robin, but Dick Grayson began appearing sporadically in later issues. The series, for the most part, eschewed appearances by other DC Universe superheroes and focused on Batman and his closest partners Alfred Pennyworth, Commissioner Gordon, and Batman's rogues gallery.

The title was discontinued with issue #214, in March 2007, and replaced with a new Batman anthology series, Batman Confidential, which focuses on more personal events in Batman's life (first encounters, building of new technology etc.), rather than early crime-fighting tale
    As for wich are folded to continuity, I invite you to read the wiki, it describes every stories and give your answer:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman...he_Dark_Knight

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I've seen people say that, but I never saw anything at the time the books came out to suggest that. At the most, there was a kind of implication that any given story might not necessarily be in continuity. I always assumed a story was in unless it was obviously out (like Watchtower).
    They made a big deal about it IIRC that #50 was actually canon.

I remember when I first got into LOTDK I was always wondering why we rarely saw any of Batman's rogues gallery. But then I realized this was mostly year one so he didn't have much of a rogues gallery yet.