Default How do you like your Superman and Batman?

Do you like your Superman as the sole survivor of Krypton? With no Supergirl, Superboy, Krypto, and Bottled city of Kandor?

Or do you like all the extended family stuff?

Do you like your Batman solo? With no Robin, Batgirl, Nightwing, and Batman Inc?

Or do you like all that extended family stuff?

I use to be in the camp of those who thought both characters were better on their own. But now days I really don't mind either way. I actually kind of like it. Gives Superman and Batman more of a Green Lanterns feel.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Extended family for both!
    I have great memories reading Superman Family & Batman Family comics as a kid.
    They were my introduction to a load of supporting characters.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Never erase the family. Dogs in capes are fun. The solo act is only good at the beginning when they're just introduced. I like that their universe expands the longer the story gets.

I prefer extended family.

Superman married to Lois, with Jon and with an Extended Family

Batman: Incorporated
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Yeah, as ongoing series, the wider and evolving supporting casts are a great way to keep things from getting too stale. With Superman, in particular, there is something that works about him as a husband and father.

On the other hand, there is a purity to them in their original form, as loners and outsiders but this configuration is best saved for out of continuity stories.

But then, if I had my way, I would split DC's publishing line in two with half being dedicated to the continuing story of the DCU, where characters age, change, get married, have kids, die and pass on legacies and one half for out of continuity stories where creators can tell their own stories without being beholden to the DCU's decades-long history.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

I like the Batman family, but it can become unwieldy -- characters no longer get a chance to shine. But Superman works well with a large supporting cast.

I think part of the difference is that DC spins off so many Bat characters into their own books, so when someone like Tim Drake recedes into the background, his fans miss him and feel like he's being elbowed out. Most of the Super supporting characters, on the other hand, are true supporting characters, so it feels less like they're fighting for page space.

Mighty Member

I much prefer the extended family in Batman. I like the idea of Bruce subconsciously replacing his parents and siblings he never had. Alfred's relationships with everyone are fascinating and get overlooked, which is a shame. So yeah... Batman and Alfred as Dad and Dad, Gordon as the cool uncle, the Robins as the kids, Barbara as the cousin, Kate and the extended family, Steph and Cass as the friends who stay over so much they might as well be family... I'm into all of that. There's also just a ton of great characters who I love in his extended cast and I wouldn't want to not have them.

I like Superman as the only Kryptonian, with a non-Kryptonian supporting cast. The "last of his people" aspect is what gives him a lot of depth imo, when it is played up. The idea that he can save everyone, except his own people, can provide a wealth of storytelling possibilities. He can be with or without Lois, but I do like her in the cast usually. I'd prefer him childless, even though I think Jon is an ok character. Being married with a kid ages him imo and I prefer him to be early, mid twenties. As far as supporting cast, the Planet is where it's at. I also love the idea of him being the awesome uncle to the DC heroes, the guy everyone admires and looks up to, and goes to for advice and help. He embraces that role because he longs for a connection to a group of people to replace his original home.

Retired

Superman as sole survivor (and maybe Krypto, too)--but with Kandor, Phantom Zone, Supergirl still all in the picture, just with a different explanation for what they are.

Batman working solo, but with Robin (now grown up Richard Grayson, no Nightwing) and Batgirl (politician Babs Gordon, who still puts on the bat outfit from time to time) teaming up with him on occasion. No other Batman family members per se, but the Club of Heroes lives on in the form of the Global Guardians.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I like the extended family, but not when it gets out of hand like the current Bat-family is. A couple are fine, but when it gets to be more than a handful I don't like it.

Fantastic Member

I like both of them with a large extended family, and I also like there families to crossover with each other whenever possible those stories are usually my favorites

With a nice Chianti.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I like both to have a family of allies, just not too big for either.

With Superman, I prefer regular the super powered ones just be Supergirl (Kara) and Krypto. Lois needs to be prominent, but I don't always need them to be married. I'm fine with them having a kid but I haven't liked the execution for the most part. Other allies like the denizens of Kandor and the Legion are around, but not regularly featured.

For Batman, I like the extended costumed family to just be Dick, Barbara and Damian, with Kate and Bette off doing their own thing and barely interacting with the core group. The Club of Heroes would be around, but even less of a regular feature than Kate as they aren't in Gotham.