Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Superman#4 Discussion and Spoilers

Clark battles Rogal Zarr's forces. Zarr takes him on and does some damage to him, sending him hurtling to the Earth below. As he does so, we flashback to a conversation Supes had with Jon at a junkyard, Jon is frustrated with what people say about him and his dad and he wants to mess with them, but Clark teaches him the value of patience and brings up his brotherly relationship with Bruce, and how even when he does things that he disagrees with and frustrates him, his respect and patience pays off and he is able to see Batman achieve great things. Jon asks if Clark likes Bruce the way he likes Lois.

Back in the present, Clark patches in to the JL's psychic network and learns from Ray Palmer that the Star Lab experiments were the cause of the planet being trapped in the Zone, Palmer concocts a plan of action to shrink the Earth then use the projector to send it back to it's location on the other side. Ray instructs Barry to take the projector and race to a designated location, Barry falls ill but manages to get the projector working and the Earth is freed. The issue concludes with Adam Strange, still in regular space, reporting that the Earth is missing.

Overall, I loved the conversation Clark has with Jon, but I really thought the Barry stuff was the worst ("I'm just going to run where Ray tells me and do what Ray says"-Um...what?), the art was on point as usual and I even like that Clark tried getting through to Jax-Ur. The cliffhanger is also pretty bizzare and funny. ("E-A-R...")
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 10-10-2018 at 01:53 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

The cliffhanger is essentially just a lifted page from issue 2.

Otherwise Reis does every page tremendously, and the quiet vibe he and his team give the conversation (the credits seem to split Albert and Prado to two sets of full pages but I dunno) really give this comic some incredible diversity.

Dialogue and pace wise, I think this is the best Bendis Superman yet and seeing him actually take that crowd head on and spoilers:
    win
    end of spoilers was rewarding. I'm glad the solar flare isn't an embarrassment anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    The cliffhanger is essentially just a lifted page from issue 2.

Otherwise Reis does every page tremendously, and the quiet vibe he and his team give the conversation (the credits seem to split Albert and Prado to two sets of full pages but I dunno) really give this comic some incredible diversity.

Dialogue and pace wise, I think this is the best Bendis Superman yet and seeing him actually take that crowd head on and spoilers:
    win
    end of spoilers was rewarding. I'm glad the solar flare isn't an embarrassment anymore.
    I love Reis' work.

Every time I see a nod to Action Comics 1, regardless of where and by whom, I get a kick out of it. Same with the nod in this issue.

Those aliens were vicious - spoilers:
    there were teething getting ruined as they tried to bite Superman!
    end of spoilers

Glad Superman spoilers:
    knew what the plan was
    end of spoilers as it shows he was thinking about stuff behind just the melee and Rogol.

Superman trying to find neutral ground with someone who wants to see him dead is always a good thing.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

This was a good issue, I keep hoping for Zod to show up on the last page and my hopes keep getting dashed. Guess he will finally appear next issue. That conversation with Jon was pretty sweet to read also, and got me nostalgic of the rebirth era.

I am guessing what Jon talks about with Clark is conversation that will reflect how Jon acts after his trip in space.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    This was a good issue, I keep hoping for Zod to show up on the last page and my hopes keep getting dashed. Guess he will finally appear next issue. That conversation with Jon was pretty sweet to read also, and got me nostalgic of the rebirth era.
    Kind of funny to have nostalgia for something that only ended a few months ago.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Kind of funny to have nostalgia for something that only ended a few months ago.
    I guess, but I was feeling nostalgic even reading the last issue of tomasi and gleason's superman run. Feel like we won't ever get that family the same way they were written before Bendis, just because of all the changes since then.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I guess, but I was feeling nostalgic even reading the last issue of tomasi and gleason's superman run. Feel like we won't ever get that family the same way they were written before Bendis, just because of all the changes since then.
    I get it, I'm still a bit worried too, not as much due to Bendis' assurances, but you get the feeling something will still be off about it.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I liked this issue a lot.

Recaptured some of what I liked about Bendis' early Ultimate Spider-Man while playing on a larger scale. Very good call to set up on of Clark's moments as a father in contrast to the present. Really dug the conversation with the Jax, and the mic drop that ended it. Bendis leave a little door open with the question of if Jax is still on Earth or not when it goes back, and that's pretty dang cool for future story or moments regardless of the answer.

Also really dug the overall frantic nature of the issue with us watching, in real time, Superman deal with everything at once.

Also, Bendis writes a damn fine Superdad moment. Teaching the kid about patience and faith in people's best out weighing their worst was really nice. But Bendis writes it with enough active listening from Jon, dry humor from Clark, and a genuine starry eyed peak into Clark's hopes that the whole thing bounces along really nicely. Also the fight was dope.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    I love Reis' work.

Every time I see a nod to Action Comics 1, regardless of where and by whom, I get a kick out of it. Same with the nod in this issue.

Those aliens were vicious - spoilers:
    there were teething getting ruined as they tried to bite Superman!
    end of spoilers

Glad Superman spoilers:
    knew what the plan was
    end of spoilers as it shows he was thinking about stuff behind just the melee and Rogol.

Superman trying to find neutral ground with someone who wants to see him dead is always a good thing.
    Yeah the preview had me fully expecting, given the size of the threat and lack of preparation, that he’d have to offer himself as a bucking target. But he was really on top of things down to isolating Jax and leveling with him. I am glad that Bendis isn’t going to just keep him reacting and that he can fight off his back foot.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I liked this issue a lot.

Recaptured some of what I liked about Bendis' early Ultimate Spider-Man while playing on a larger scale. Very good call to set up on of Clark's moments as a father in contrast to the present. Really dug the conversation with the Jax, and the mic drop that ended it. Bendis leave a little door open with the question of if Jax is still on Earth or not when it goes back, and that's pretty dang cool for future story or moments regardless of the answer.
    I'll go Superlad for one moment. I think that one of Bendis' future plots

spoilers:
    will be about Jax reuniting with Zod (who is still out there, as far as I know) and establishing together with other PZ prisoners (or Kandor survivors?) some kind of new Krypton colonies somewhere, or even joining forces against Rogol Zaar.
    In one of Bendis' instagram posts, you can see Zod and a bunch of Kryptonians. And the New Krypton revamp was one of Jurgens' loose threads.
    There are a couple of possible developments which I am thinking about. But I'll keep them to myself for now.
    end of spoilers
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Man Reis was on fire this issue. Great art all around, probably the best I’ve seen from him since Johns Aquaman. Overall I liked this issue a lot, I liked the conversation between Clark and Jon about patience and accepting that you can’t change or control everything. I also liked that Clark admits Bruce irritates the hell out of him sometimes. We’ve got one more issue with Rogal and then hopefully we’ll move on right? I’m ready to start seeing some other villains.

Master Hero Vladimir

I said it once and I'll say it again: Bendis might be stretching the story arc around, but he makes up for it with deep, meaningful character exploration. Reis' art is a huge bonus, obviously. Given the enormous brawl that happens here, it's always good to remember that, for all of Superman's kindness and intelligence, he is a man of action. Superman also smart enough to point out the obvious flaw in Jax-Ur's association with Rogol Zaar, who by the way is still a bland and generic villain in my opinion. Clark and Jon's moments are beautiful and heartwarming, and make appreciate the Rebirth era even more.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

That last panel of the flashback's gonna be the fuel in Tumblr's tank for at least the next month or so, and Bendis clearly wrote it with that in mind. Looking forward to people being VERY ANGRY that Bendis DID NOT WRITE JON IN CHARACTER, WE'RE PRETTY SURE, and also that SUPERMAN SAYS HE WANTS TO MURDER PEOPLE.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dispenser of truth View Post
    that last panel of the flashback's gonna be the fuel in tumblr's tank for at least the next month or so, and bendis clearly wrote it with that in mind. Looking forward to people being very angry that bendis did not write jon in character, we're pretty sure, and also that superman says he wants to murder people.
    >man of murder
    >child of murder

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I regards to the panel: I saw at least one comment about how Jon thinks his dad is "gaaay", and yeah, like Dispenser Of Truth, that was 100% part of the plan in that moment. But in the context of the conversation Clark and his son have, Jon was talking about how even though he loves Bruce, Bruce can get on his last nerve with the stuff he does, but he knows Bruce's default is being an amazing person who does amazing things for other people.

Jon's basically joking about how Lois can likely frustrate the crap out of Clark sometimes (by sometimes being a bit more reckless than he'd like or whatever), like all of our significant others do to us and we to them, but you get frustrated the most with the ones you love the most. Jon's little knowing grin is totally playing to that, and Clark was slow on the uptake, hence his "what?"

But yeah, question: reading those moments between Clark and Jon, did anyone else basically start itching for the kid's return and how Bendis will switch up the tempo? The same way that issue 1003 of Action has me intrigued on how Lois and Clark's dynamic will evolve, this look back has me there with Clark and Jon's.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 10-10-2018 at 10:55 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.