Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    There is a reason, its a trip for knowledge. Key word: trip. Nothing to ever to suggest he'd wilt at the very idea of a vacation away from home. Like everything else you're reading far too much into things desperate to find a discrepancy.
    Ah, of course you would think that. Despite that a lot of people have been complaining about Jon's characterization after MoS.

Anyway, I already said my piece and I'm going in circles at this point.

Its hard not to, its what you're doing. You literally just tried to make the argument that because Jon loves his family and wants to be with them then its out-of-character for him to take a trip. Its a textbook example of a false equivalency. Children across the globe who love their family just as much as Jon is portrayed to love his but don't bat an eye at the concept of summer camp, which again is what this essentially is. Just summer camp for a Superboy.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

"Bendis comic causes pages of debate over characterization, film at eleven".

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    "Bendis comic causes pages of debate over characterization, film at eleven".
    Nothing new admitedly.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Looking forward to people being VERY ANGRY that Bendis DID NOT WRITE JON IN CHARACTER, WE'RE PRETTY SURE
    Knew it would happen, didn't figure it'd lead to 4 pages of debate on whether or not it's appropriate to retcon in that someone had a feeling one time in line with other feelings they've had. Wow.
    Buh-bye

Astonishing Member

After reading the latest Super sons adventures by Tomasi, Jon is somewhere in outer space and the only time he's mentioned his mother or father is in thrown insults to his other self in a fight. So even under Tomasi's pen, Jon still exhibits fits of temper when the occasion calls for it and despite loving his parents, he's not beyond enjoying a little adventure away from them. Unfortunately for Jon, people are always going to be pushing his buttons and he may have to encounter one or three evil multiversions of himself and so it's going to take more than one lesson to simply get over it. That doesn't mean he's not happy, or not a good kid, he's simply growing and all good growth doesn't happen over night. It takes time. I remember coming across something that said the human mind needs to read something a minimum of six times not just to commit it to memory, but to recall it from memory. How much more to react in a positive way when under certain painful stresses?

Astonishing Member

I don't know if this has come up but what are these rumours that has Jon so ruffled that Clark has to take him to a junk yard to vent?

I assumed the details aren't really going to become relevant, that it was enough to know that Jon just happened to catch wind of some people in general talking smack about Superman. There's always those types out there.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The junkyard scene reminded me of the bullying scene in Man of Steel where young Clark said 'I wanted to hit that kid. I wanted to hit him so bad.'

And other scenes from various comics (mostly Post-CoIE) where this kind of thing has come up in talks between Jonathan and Clark (Clark wanting to stand up to racists, for example).

But the main thing, for me, was that Jon knew he could talk to his Dad about things (sure, he might not do it for every occasion (kids (and adults) often try to figure things out on their own). Not every child has that (Damian certainly didn't).

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Nice catch on the Action #1, homage btw. That and the convo itself remind me of the Action 80th anniversary hardcover, which was conveniently reprinted leading up to this run. Action #800:

Also, I like how it reiterates the point behind the conversation with Ollie that Clark paraphrased. Bendis has firmly stated that he thinks it's a problem for Superman to preach or lecture, so he frames it as a conversation between friends. Then re-frames it just enough so that he can speak at length, but because it's to his ten year old son it's not condescending.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Nice catch on the Action #1, homage btw.
    Thanks.

That and the convo itself remind me of the Action 80th anniversary hardcover, which was conveniently reprinted leading up to this run. Action #800
    Hero's Journey is one of the stories it reminds me of, too.

Also, I like how it reiterates the point behind the conversation with Ollie that Clark paraphrased. Bendis has firmly stated that he thinks it's a problem for Superman to preach or lecture, so he frames it as a conversation between friends. Then re-frames it just enough so that he can speak at length, but because it's to his ten year old son it's not condescending.
    Agreed

Fantastic Member

Best issue of Superman so far. It has been slow but this was a nice action issue. Reis on art is always great. I'm really digging both Superman and Action Comics. Hopefully Bendis keeps up the good work.
    "If I come back from the dead one more time I'll be seriously in danger of turning into some kind of walking cliche." - Jean Grey, Uncanny X-Men #284

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

The Superman/Superboy flashbacks were beautiful. The stakes are so high and Reis is bringing his A-Game as usual. This looks to soon eclipse his GL run. Easily the best pure superhero artist in comics right now.

With the most recent issue of Supergirl, I am growing impatient with the Rogal Zarr backstory though. I donÂ’t know why they are playing coy about the destruction of Krypton. He either did it or he didn't, but thinks he did. Pick one and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    He already grew beyond that a long time ago.

This is just bad characterization based on previous examples.
    I am not sure how this is a valid criticism. Look at Superman's costume in those flashbacks. Although the boots are colored wrong, that's clearly the Post-Rebirth/Pre-superman Reborn suit.

This is Jon Kent in his earliest days as Superboy, so I don't see how you can complain about character regression since this is a scene prior to any of the character progression you are talking about.

If you don't like Bendis's writing of Jon, fine, but this is an awfully strange set of reasoning to be criticizing him.

It's like complaining about Guy Gardner being depicted as a brain damaged thug in a flashback to his early Jl days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I would love to hear a reason why Jon would think "there's something wrong with me!" after he was rejected by the frikking Teen Titans (something that he took fairly well, accepted and later teamed-up with them with no problem during a crossover), especially after all the things that happened during Tomasi's run where he gained even more confidence.
    Do you have young kids or work with them regularly? Because what you are saying doesn't make a lot of sense. Kids are overly sensitive, emotional and immature. Their actions aren't some straight line of forward progress. Their bodies and minds are a chaotic brew of hormones and moods that change at a moments notice.

I am really enjoying this arc. It is one of my favorite SM stories in quite a while. I hope the art and writing keep on being great.
    Years before Kal-El ever landed from Space; tales were told of the ultimate warrior/hero; Conan the Barbarian!

Fantastic issue, one of the best if not the best of this Superman run (title, not character, so no counting AC). And Reis is amazing as always, I’ve been praising his work since Johns’ Green Lantern, so I don’t have much to add about him. One of the best in the business
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH