Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default Superman#4 Discussion and Spoilers

Clark battles Rogal Zarr's forces. Zarr takes him on and does some damage to him, sending him hurtling to the Earth below. As he does so, we flashback to a conversation Supes had with Jon at a junkyard, Jon is frustrated with what people say about him and his dad and he wants to mess with them, but Clark teaches him the value of patience and brings up his brotherly relationship with Bruce, and how even when he does things that he disagrees with and frustrates him, his respect and patience pays off and he is able to see Batman achieve great things. Jon asks if Clark likes Bruce the way he likes Lois.

Back in the present, Clark patches in to the JL's psychic network and learns from Ray Palmer that the Star Lab experiments were the cause of the planet being trapped in the Zone, Palmer concocts a plan of action to shrink the Earth then use the projector to send it back to it's location on the other side. Ray instructs Barry to take the projector and race to a designated location, Barry falls ill but manages to get the projector working and the Earth is freed. The issue concludes with Adam Strange, still in regular space, reporting that the Earth is missing.

Overall, I loved the conversation Clark has with Jon, but I really thought the Barry stuff was the worst ("I'm just going to run where Ray tells me and do what Ray says"-Um...what?), the art was on point as usual and I even like that Clark tried getting through to Jax-Ur. The cliffhanger is also pretty bizzare and funny. ("E-A-R...")
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 10-10-2018 at 01:53 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

The cliffhanger is essentially just a lifted page from issue 2.

Otherwise Reis does every page tremendously, and the quiet vibe he and his team give the conversation (the credits seem to split Albert and Prado to two sets of full pages but I dunno) really give this comic some incredible diversity.

Dialogue and pace wise, I think this is the best Bendis Superman yet and seeing him actually take that crowd head on and spoilers:
    win
    end of spoilers was rewarding. I'm glad the solar flare isn't an embarrassment anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    The cliffhanger is essentially just a lifted page from issue 2.

Otherwise Reis does every page tremendously, and the quiet vibe he and his team give the conversation (the credits seem to split Albert and Prado to two sets of full pages but I dunno) really give this comic some incredible diversity.

Dialogue and pace wise, I think this is the best Bendis Superman yet and seeing him actually take that crowd head on and spoilers:
    win
    end of spoilers was rewarding. I'm glad the solar flare isn't an embarrassment anymore.
    I love Reis' work.

Every time I see a nod to Action Comics 1, regardless of where and by whom, I get a kick out of it. Same with the nod in this issue.

Those aliens were vicious - spoilers:
    there were teething getting ruined as they tried to bite Superman!
    end of spoilers

Glad Superman spoilers:
    knew what the plan was
    end of spoilers as it shows he was thinking about stuff behind just the melee and Rogol.

Superman trying to find neutral ground with someone who wants to see him dead is always a good thing.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

This was a good issue, I keep hoping for Zod to show up on the last page and my hopes keep getting dashed. Guess he will finally appear next issue. That conversation with Jon was pretty sweet to read also, and got me nostalgic of the rebirth era.

I am guessing what Jon talks about with Clark is conversation that will reflect how Jon acts after his trip in space.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    This was a good issue, I keep hoping for Zod to show up on the last page and my hopes keep getting dashed. Guess he will finally appear next issue. That conversation with Jon was pretty sweet to read also, and got me nostalgic of the rebirth era.
    Kind of funny to have nostalgia for something that only ended a few months ago.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Kind of funny to have nostalgia for something that only ended a few months ago.
    I guess, but I was feeling nostalgic even reading the last issue of tomasi and gleason's superman run. Feel like we won't ever get that family the same way they were written before Bendis, just because of all the changes since then.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    I love Reis' work.

Every time I see a nod to Action Comics 1, regardless of where and by whom, I get a kick out of it. Same with the nod in this issue.

Those aliens were vicious - spoilers:
    there were teething getting ruined as they tried to bite Superman!
    end of spoilers

Glad Superman spoilers:
    knew what the plan was
    end of spoilers as it shows he was thinking about stuff behind just the melee and Rogol.

Superman trying to find neutral ground with someone who wants to see him dead is always a good thing.
    Yeah the preview had me fully expecting, given the size of the threat and lack of preparation, that he’d have to offer himself as a bucking target. But he was really on top of things down to isolating Jax and leveling with him. I am glad that Bendis isn’t going to just keep him reacting and that he can fight off his back foot.