Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Traumatic as in he knows that there's a version of him in some other future out there in which he grows up to be a killer. And its hard for his young mind to reconcile. That is the aspect Bendis hammered home as the major source of the trauma. You keep ignoring that and just mentioning the rejection without the context.
    His future version did not grow up to be a killer. His superflare power was manipulated by Damian/Tim. How does this lead to a space trip is beyond me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    His future version did not grow up to be a killer. His superflare power was manipulated by Damian/Tim. How does this lead to a space trip is beyond me.
    Regardless, it's not like Jon is averse to a little adventure even in space. The whole family could have gone. It was an open invitation for all of them. Jon immediately jumped at the opportunity but Clark has responsibilities that he obviously cannot drop just like that. I really fail to see what the big deal is about all of this.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Do you have young kids or work with them regularly? Because what you are saying doesn't make a lot of sense. Kids are overly sensitive, emotional and immature. Their actions aren't some straight line of forward progress. Their bodies and minds are a chaotic brew of hormones and moods that change at a moments notice.
    Haven't gotten a copy of this yet, may get one this weekend. But I've been following the Jon debate, and I have to agree with you here. ADULTS aren't always able to sustain forward progress in overcoming their flaws. Expecting a 10 year old alien hybrid to overcome his issues so easily is quite the leap. I'm not wild about Jon but I don't think Bendis's writing of him is that bad, it's actually making me kind of interested in him and their dynamic. Little else I've read with him has been able to do that.

I feel like most of the time someone says a child is written "out of character", it means they don't have children of their own. Which, of course, is fine. But I have a 10 year old, and I have a 13 year old, so the 10 year old frame has hit me twice. And I can tell you right now, very few (if any) 10 year olds know how to deal with their emotions. They are very raw, and very unpredictable. My 10 year old daughter can come up to me and say "hey Daddy, your haircut looks funny!" and I can playfully reply with "oh yeah? Well you're short!" Some days she might laugh, and some days she might legit start crying and thinking what I said was mean. Something she laughed at 6 months ago might make her cry today, and next week she might laugh again, it's just how emotions work for a 10 year old. It doesn't mean she's regressed as a person, it just is what it is. Bendis has kids, and he writes Jon as a kid.

If we're being honest, a lot of writers (even Tomasi and Jurgens) tend to write characters like Jon and Damian as if they were older teenagers, rather than kids. Jon was acting like a kid in this issue, and I'm sure many of us would have trashed cars in junkyards at that age if we'd been able to.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Boisterously Confused

Curses! I like hating Bendis, but he keeps writing danged good DC!

As much as I dislike his Dentally-challenged Faux Mongul, he makes everybody else in The DCU look good. The Atom gets the privilege of being The Scientist With A Plan. Superman and The Flash are given credit for being smart enough to know what to do with The Plan.

It's really nice to see a story that finds away to recognize every character's talents without having to make one character less for another's benefit.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    I feel like most of the time someone says a child is written "out of character", it means they don't have children of their own. Which, of course, is fine. But I have a 10 year old, and I have a 13 year old, so the 10 year old frame has hit me twice. And I can tell you right now, very few (if any) 10 year olds know how to deal with their emotions. They are very raw, and very unpredictable. My 10 year old daughter can come up to me and say "hey Daddy, your haircut looks funny!" and I can playfully reply with "oh yeah? Well you're short!" Some days she might laugh, and some days she might legit start crying and thinking what I said was mean. Something she laughed at 6 months ago might make her cry today, and next week she might laugh again, it's just how emotions work for a 10 year old. It doesn't mean she's regressed as a person, it just is what it is. Bendis has kids, and he writes Jon as a kid.

If we're being honest, a lot of writers (even Tomasi and Jurgens) tend to write characters like Jon and Damian as if they were older teenagers, rather than kids. Jon was acting like a kid in this issue, and I'm sure many of us would have trashed cars in junkyards at that age if we'd been able to.
    Yeah, given how many kids Bendis and his wife have, I think we can be assured that he's writing from a lot of experience...lots and lots of experience.

Boisterously Confused

...and another thing! Durn you Bendis, but you really get that Superman is simultaneously Optimistic and Realistic, and his heart is good, and kind, that he sees his powers as responsibilities, that he understands his capabilities with neither false modesty nor arrogance.

In other words, you're preventing me from hating you, as I have for so long, by writing a really good Superman.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    ...and another thing! Durn you Bendis, but you really get that Superman is simultaneously Optimistic and Realistic, and his heart is good, and kind, that he sees his powers as responsibilities, that he understands his capabilities with neither false modesty nor arrogance.

In other words, you're preventing me from hating you, as I have for so long, by writing a really good Superman.
    Does that mean that you are willing to let go of a long cherished belief that no longer serves you?

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post

Well, he always wrote a good Captain America, so I'm not too surprised.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Does Jon even have a character that he can "be written out of"? He's 10. 10 year olds change by the hour.

Spectacular Member

Good work, I enjoyed this issue.

BTW,People in 4chan have said that Bendis changed Superman as psychopath who want to kill Batman.
    What do you think about it?
    They don't read actual comic? or Are they trolling?
    Last edited by catman; 10-16-2018 at 05:53 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post

BTW,People in 4chan have said that Bendis changed Superman as psychopath who want to kill Batman.
    They're on 4chan. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post

Lmao they’re ****posters. They hate Bendis so they can only speak in hyperbole when it comes to him. Don’t pay them any mind.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

A thought just popped into my head: Bendis' Superman is an absolute beast when it comes to solar reserves, right?

Okay, so Clark confirms that he's powers are on the decline because there's no yellow sun in issue 2. But Bendis' Superman isn't stingy with the power because of that. He saves a space shuttle, stops all of the debris from hitting the Earth, speeds off to STAR Labs Colorado, tanks a blast from Livewire no problem, saves a plane over Seattle, stops a bullet train, save dozens of people in hot air balloons, stops looters, goes to the Hall of Justices, and it's implied he's doing even more we're just not seeing. But that's not all: He also fights a freakin army lead by Zaar (a guy who nearly killed him at his best. But it's possible that Zaar is less powerful without his ax). Many of the creatures in the army try to bite or scratch him, but you can see their teeth and claws break on his body. Then even even survives being punch from space to Earth by Zaar (only falling unconscious for the literal seconds it took to get to the ground). He even gets literally stomped on by landing from orbit, and he's able to knock him away in seconds.

But maybe the most impressive part is the fact that he let out a solar flare and then not only took that hit from space to Earth but also had the power to create a vortex to get nearly every inmate off world in one go AND physically force Zaar off world. Keep in mind again, he is not recharging his power at any point. This is a pretty monstrous level of endurance and solar power on display.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Yeah - Bendis keeps this up, and he'd be a top pick to write "what Superman would do" for any movie treatment I can think of. That's just stellar work right there.

The Lois/Clark stuff in Action still gives me pause, but I'm hopeful (at least at the moment).
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/