Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I regards to the panel: I saw at least one comment about how Jon thinks his dad is "gaaay", and yeah, like Dispenser Of Truth, that was 100% part of the plan in that moment. But in the context of the conversation Clark and his son have, Jon was talking about how even though he loves Bruce, Bruce can get on his last nerve with the stuff he does, but he knows Bruce's default is being an amazing person who does amazing things for other people.

Jon's basically joking about how Lois can likely frustrate the crap out of Clark sometimes (by sometimes being a bit more reckless than he'd like or whatever), like all of our significant others do to us and we to them, but you get frustrated the most with the ones you love the most. Jon's little sh!t-eating grin is totally playing to that, and Clark was slow on the uptake, hence his "what?"

But yeah, question: reading those moments between Clark and Jon, did anyone else basically start itching for the kid's return and how Bendis will switch up the tempo? The same way that issue 1003 of Action has me intrigued on how Lois and Clark's dynamic will evolve, this look back has me there with Clark and Jon's.
    Issue 1004 of AC & Issue 6 of Superman are definitely my most anticipated issues of this era so far.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    That last panel of the flashback's gonna be the fuel in Tumblr's tank for at least the next month or so, and Bendis clearly wrote it with that in mind. Looking forward to people being VERY ANGRY that Bendis DID NOT WRITE JON IN CHARACTER, WE'RE PRETTY SURE, and also that SUPERMAN SAYS HE WANTS TO MURDER PEOPLE.
    Your post is late
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/co...spoilers_fair/
    (scroll to bottom)
    Edit: Link was broken, I replaced it
    Last edited by Myskin; 10-10-2018 at 12:05 PM.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Your post is late
    https://://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics...spoilers_fair/
    (scroll to bottom)
    The link is blank for me.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

The link is blank for me.
    I replaced it. It should work now
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Always Rakzo

Thought this was a decent read overall. More plot progression and content than in previous issues and everything escalates nicely.

That being said, this is yet another proof why Bendis can't handle Superboy. Jon here is ready to make other people pay for what they said about his father and him while his portrayal in other books show him as a sweet and kind kid who wouldn't hurt anybody on purpose (which is why he's the perfect contrast to someone like Damian Wayne). Bendis just do whatever he wants with him just to fit into his plot (although I did enjoy Clark's comment about how he wants to kill Batman from time to time).

Good art from Reis. Not bad but not particularly great read either, just decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    other books show him as a sweet and kind kid who wouldn't hurt anybody on purpose (which is why he's the perfect contrast to someone like Damian Wayne).
    Where does everyone keep getting this from? It's not Tomasi's run, I hope. No disrespect to Tomasi's run but that's not really how he wrote him.

Jon has a very, very clear history of getting royally pissed off by and at bullies, name calling, and little things that would strike a nerve. In Superman issue 10 by Tomasi and Gleason, Damian brings up the fact that Jon killed Goldie, and you know the very first thing Jon does? Turns the other cheek? Asks to talk it out like young adults? No. He punches the human bully in the gut. Sure he holds back so as not to blow a hole in his chest, but that was literally his first action when faced with mean things being said about him. But it doesn't stop there. He's whipped up into so much of a frenzy that he hurts Alfred with a blast of ice breath. The end of issue 11 has Jon firing heat vision at Damian over more mean words.

In Superman issue 21 Jon goes against his dad's wishes and attacks a sea creature with the intent to kill. He's again whipped up in a bit of a frenzy when he sees Candice hurt. He then debates with his dad if they as Super people they should maybe start thinking about using extreme or even deadly force. At one point in issue 4 while Jon is watching his dad fight Eradicator, he literally says "after Goldie, I promised I wouldn't kill again, but right now--"

I feel like it's very well documented that Jon Kent has a bit of a temper. It's also well documented that bullies/mean words can in fact get to him quite a bit. So, is it so far out of the possible that the kid new to super heroics now having to deal with people spreading lies about him or his family on a global scale would get just a bit heated?

I seriously don't see how this is even remotely out of character. I feel like this scene was more a show a growth than regression given he was blowing off steam in a junkyard rather than flying off the handle physically accosting the bully like he's actually done on other occasions.

Also, he's a child.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 10-10-2018 at 03:44 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Superlad's spot on with all of that, and if I could add one more thing, there's nothing to indicate his words are anything more than empty threats born from frustration only. The impression that he could or would genuinely hurt someone is never painted as an issue here. The proof in this is in the way Superman handles it. From Superman's perspective what he's doing is quelling frustration. He's certainly not approaching this like his son has any serious, inherent violent tendencies. If he did he wouldn't have approached this so casually, and if Superman was wrong in his assessment, he son wouldn't have responded so positively. Its a situation where he knew all that the kid was going through was the need to blow off a little healthy steam. Hence taking him to a junk yard.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-10-2018 at 03:35 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Always Rakzo

Where does everyone keep getting this from? It's not Tomasi's run, I hope. No disrespect to Tomasi's run but that's not really how he wrote him.

Jon has a very, very clear history of getting royally pissed off by and at bullies, name calling, and little things that would strike a nerve. In Superman issue 10 by Tomasi and Gleason, Damian brings up the fact that Jon killed Goldie, and you know the very first thing Jon does? Turns the other cheek? Asks to talk it out like young adults? No. He punches the human bully in the gut. Sure he holds back so as not to blow a hole in his chest, but that was literally his first action when faced with mean things being said about him. But it doesn't stop there. He's whipped up into so much of a frenzy that he hurts Alfred with a blast of ice breath. The end of issue 11 has Jon firing heat vision at Damian over more mean words.

In Superman issue 21 Jon goes against his dad's wishes and attacks a sea creature with the intent to kill. He's again whipped up in a bit of a frenzy when he sees Candice hurt. He then debates with his dad if they as Super people they should maybe start thinking about using extreme or even deadly force. At one point in issue 4 while Jon is watching his dad fight Eradicator, he literally says "after Goldie, I promised I wouldn't kill again, but right now--"

I feel like it's very well documented that Jon Kent has a bit of a temper. It's also well documented that bullies/mean words can in fact get to him quite a bit. So, is it so far out of the possible that the kid new to super heroics now having to deal with people spreading lies about him or his family on a global scale would get just a bit heated?

I seriously don't see how this is even remotely out of character. I feel like this scene was more a show a growth than regression given he was blowing off steam in a junkyard rather than flying off the handle physically accosting the bully like he's actually done on other occasions.

Also, he's a child.
    The things that happened early on during Tomasi's run were for a reason, to show the development Jon was going to have over the course of his work and especially during Super Sons where his personality contrasts much more with Damian about how different they are. Yes, Jon is a child but even children start to grow-up, that's the reason why Damian became less of a annoying brat with time.

It's out of character because is actual regression.

The things that happened early on during Tomasi's run were for a reason, to show the development Jon was going to have over the course of his work and especially during Super Sons where his personality contrasts much more with Damian about how different they are. Yes, Jon is a child but even children start to grow-up, that's the reason why Damian became less of a annoying brat with time.

It's out of character because is actual regression.
    But you're not making any sense. It was a flashback, meaning it was set during whenever in Tomasi's run. And his Jon does have a well documented temper, and this is, again, a flashback, so.....what's the discrepancy?
    Last edited by Superlad93; 10-10-2018 at 04:47 PM.

Always Rakzo

But you're not making any sense. It was a flashback, meaning it was set during whenever in Tomasi's run. And his Jon does have a well documented temper, and this is a flashback, so.....what's the discrepancy?
    I guess we don't know where exactly this takes place but considering what Bendis did with Jon during Man of Steel, you know, the whole "I'm going with a borderline-complete stranger and leaving my family because I fear there might be something wrong with me despite of not having this doubt before", I'm not feeling too confident about this being too early in Jon's life.

Even without the fact that it's a flashback, I still maintain that it was well within character given he'd never experienced a situation like the one in today's issues--at the very least not on that scale. And, again going back to Tomasi's run, Jon first vows never to kill again in issues 2 and 4. Then in issue 21 he tries to kill the sea creature. It's not regression. It's a child and new hero being put in different situations that stress test his values born of comparatively smaller situations.

It's literally part of growing up as a person.

Always Rakzo

He already grew beyond that a long time ago.

This is just bad characterization based on previous examples.

He already grew beyond killing 17 to 19 issues before issue 21 but then because of the people egging him on and the situation being on a bigger scale he gets very, very close to breaking his vow, AND he later questions his dad's whole stance on the subject. What was once a solid vow was put into question because of increased scale.

You're not giving me a reason why this can't be the same thing but in regards to dealing with name calling/gossip/bullying.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 10-10-2018 at 05:00 PM.

Always Rakzo

He already grew beyond killing 17 to 19 issues before issue 21 but then because of the people egging him on and the situation being on a bigger scale he gets very, very close to breaking his vow, AND he later questions his dad's whole stance on the subject. What was once solid vow was put into question because of increased scale.

You're not giving me a reason why this can't be the same thing but in regards to dealing with name calling/gossip/bullying.
    I'm pretty sure I already did? The whole "character development that happened beyond that" for like, the rest of Tomasi's run that consisted of 45 issues in total along with Super Sons and the current Adventures of Super Sons where Jon shows a much more calmed behavior?

And the fact that Bendis' portrayal of Jon during Man of Steel completely blew?

Like, really?

EDIT: Hell, now that I remember even James Frikking Robinson understood Jon better than Bendis in his two-issues arc in Superman.

I'm pretty sure I already did? The whole "character development that happened beyond that" for like, the rest of Tomasi's run that consisted of 45 issues in total along with Super Sons and the current Adventures of Super Sons where Jon shows a much more calmed behavior?

And the fact that Bendis' portrayal of Jon during Man of Steel completely blew?

Like, really?

EDIT: Hell, now that I remember even James Frikking Robinson understood Jon better than Bendis in his two-issues arc in Superman.
    And I've counted with the fact that "he already grew beyond killing 17 to 19 issues before issue 21 but then because of the people egging him on and the situation being on a bigger scale he gets very, very close to breaking his vow, AND he later questions his dad's whole stance on the subject."

He is literally documented being thrown of by the change in scale throwing off a lesson he's learned. A change in scale is clearly indicated here, and thus Jon is susceptible to being thrown off by it. Like, I'm not getting how it's a stretch.