Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Iceman #2 review *spoilers*

I finally read the issue, it's quite interesting.

spoilers:

Christian's new powers are telepathy, telekinetic and holographic projection. He was able to project an image of his dad.

Emma wanted Bobby's help because Bobby had a similar childhood as Christian except that his dad wasn't as dominating as Christian's dad. Bobby was lucky enough to join the X-Men family who accepted his powers and sexuality.

Christian wasn't as lucky as Bobby to find an accepting family with regards to his sexuality.

Emma promises to heal Christian's broken mind which was caused by years of being forced to take pills supposedly to 'cure' his gayness , now that their father is dead.

The boo-boo part is that Christian's powers shouldn't have been able to affect Emma with a mind-blast because they are siblings.

Mutant siblings aren't able to affect each other, it seems that Sina Grace didn't read this fact.

There's a surprise villain at the end.

end of spoilers
    Last edited by jalsrix; 10-10-2018 at 08:05 AM.

All-New Member

The thing about siblings is not always the case.

Quote Originally Posted by blinkmagick View Post
    Emma was immune to Adrienne's and Cordelia's powers and vice versa,,,so one would think it would apply to the rest of her siblings
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

They could be hinting at Christian being powerful enough that he by-passed the entire Frost Sibling Immunity thing, because the sisters were immune to each other's powers, even the one who never displayed anything noteworthy power-wise (I always mix Cordelia and Adrienne up, sorry.)

Although Bobby seemed tangential in his own book, I liked how Sina used Bobby's subconscious as a canvas for the parallels. It actually made me wish to see Christian's story continue in this book (if any other writer decides to pick up on it, again), though the end seemed to imply it won't. That may be my only beef with this mini so far: it seems to lack cohesiveness. Throwing Sinister in at the end actually felt like it cheapened the issue, which was a solid stand-alone up until that point.

Still, can't wait for issue 3!

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    Emma was immune to Adrienne's and Cordelia's powers and vice versa,,,so one would think it would apply to the rest of her siblings
    thats an assumption which clearly isnt the case here. Its not a goof as this is the first time his powers were seen

Quote Originally Posted by FeniSam View Post
    Although Bobby seemed tangential in his own book, I liked how Sina used Bobby's subconscious as a canvas for the parallels. It actually made me wish to see Christian's story continue in this book (if any other writer decides to pick up on it, again), though the end seemed to imply it won't.
    Yeah, my only real complaint was that Bobby seemed to get a little sidelined in his own book by the Frost sibling drama. But I was enjoying the Frost sibling drama, so I'm not exactly raging.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Right. Alex and Scott are immune to each others to a degree, but not to Gabriel. And vice versa (he's not immune to Alex and I believe Cyclops as well).
    So it's not a hardened fact that siblings are immune. I mean look at M and Emplate.....

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Yeah, my only real complaint was that Bobby seemed to get a little sidelined in his own book by the Frost sibling drama. But I was enjoying the Frost sibling drama, so I'm not exactly raging.
    I'm actually relieved they addressed the Christian issue, that was a plot thread that really needed to be resolved. But in general yeah, Sina needs to get the book to be more cohesive and focused on the title character, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    Christian wasn't, didn't Adrienne out him using her psychometry?

The siblings being immune to each other's powers trope feels like a goofy silver age plot point more than anything, not the least bit in how inconsistently it's applied.

Incredible Member Infernal-Ginger's Avatar

not a Bobby fan but with Emma having a big part, I will pick this up....nice seeing her brother again

I wish this story line was at least a two part-er. Emma and Iceman are such a great team. And the moment that all anti Iceman being gay is when he acknowledges the fact that Emma knew he was gay. Brilliant. I hope Emma AND Christian make appearances later in the mini.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Man Adrienne and Cordelia got screwed with their powers, Christian and Emma won the genetic lottery.

I want Sina to write an Emma book now. He's got a really good handle on her voice.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I mostly enjoyed this, definitely better than the first issue. An interesting and compelling plot, and more of the jokes (not all) actually landed this time.

The dialogue was still clunky in places, and Grace's word choices feel off to me at times. Not thrilled that Christian killed Winston, it feels a little like a "dangerous mentally ill person" trope.

The other thing that's bothering me is that in both these newer issues Grace has referred to Bobby as self-obsessed. And that doesn't feel true to Bobby's character to me. He has flaws, he can be judgmental and immature for sure, but self-obsession has never been a problem for him. I don't generally agree with the people who claim that Grace puts too much of himself into the character, but this feels like one instance where he is maybe projecting his own flaws onto Bobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Man Adrienne and Cordelia got screwed with their powers, Christian and Emma won the genetic lottery.
    Has anyone done a sibling rivalry story where one kid clearly got the better end of the mutant deal? That seems like narrative gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    The other thing that's bothering me is that in both these newer issues Grace has referred to Bobby as self-obsessed. And that doesn't feel true to Bobby's character to me. He has flaws, he can be judgmental and immature for sure, but self-obsession has never been a problem for him. I don't generally agree with the people who claim that Grace puts too much of himself into the character, but this feels like one instance where he is maybe projecting his own flaws onto Bobby.
    If someone were to tell me Bobby is self-obsessed I'd think they'd meant Bobby is so insecure and uncomfortable with himself that he forgets to look past his own nose. I've never considered Bobby to be stuck on himself on the other end of the spectrum.