Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I don't think it's wise to say things like, "It's obvious Marvel hates Ben Reilly."
    apparently marvel: "we hate ben reilly"

also apparently marvel: "lets invest money, time and talent into bringing him back and giving him a solo comic book series"
    Last edited by boots; 10-17-2018 at 07:32 PM.
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post

also apparently marvel: "lets invest money, time and talent into bringing him back and giving him a solo comic book series"
    It’s possible they have a love-hate relationship with the character.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    It’s possible they have a love-hate relationship with the character.
    sounds bad for business

i'd say it's rare that a writer, or producer (film, tv, book or comic) would commit the resources it takes to release a work about a character they hope will fail or that they just want to treat like **** for lols. it's like a store ordering $100,000 worth of sand and trying to sell it to idiots.

maaaybe that could happen to a support or background character if the team want to mock them because it's no financial burden to the company. the investment is in a lead character to carry the book.

but otherwise, that's finite resources that can be devoted to something the company truly believes in. i think it's more logical that they made the book in good faith, but just miscalculated badly.
    Last edited by boots; 10-17-2018 at 09:40 PM.
    troo fan or death

That's how I feel about alot of characters whenever I see people say "This company hates this person". I don't believe Slott, PAD, etc. went into writing him with intention of "ruining" him because they hate him. Sometimes a misguided idea is just a misguided idea, and there's not ulterior motive behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    That's how I feel about alot of characters whenever I see people say "This company hates this person". I don't believe Slott, PAD, etc. went into writing him with intention of "ruining" him because they hate him. Sometimes a misguided idea is just a misguided idea, and there's not ulterior motive behind it.
    people get passionate about this stuff i guess.
    troo fan or death

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

people get passionate about this stuff i guess.
    As they should. It's evidence Marvel has succeeded in doing or creating something people can get emotionally, if not necessarily financially, invested in.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    While yea, there’s the prospect of not going into something to ruin it, there is something to be said when the direction taken has proven to be unpopular and yet editorial doubles down on it rather than course correct. I mean, look how long it took them to fix Black Cat despite negative reaction to the Queenpin thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    While yea, there’s the prospect of not going into something to ruin it, there is something to be said when the direction taken has proven to be unpopular and yet editorial doubles down on it rather than course correct. I mean, look how long it took them to fix Black Cat despite negative reaction to the Queenpin thing.
    I can see that point, too. It does sound a lot like, "F*** YOU, WE KNOW WHAT WE'RE DOING, DAMMIT!" Granted, that's more than likely not how they'd phrase it, and they wouldn't be shouting it at the top of their lungs, either, but still . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    As they should. It's evidence Marvel has succeeded in doing or creating something people can get emotionally, if not necessarily financially, invested in.
    well, i'm not as...passionate as some...but that's more about my current relationship with comics (and entertainment) than anything marvel can or should have done
    troo fan or death

well, i'm not as...passionate as some...but that's more about my current relationship with comics (and entertainment) than anything marvel can or should have done
    That's understandable.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Four years real time ain't that long, and in comic book time, it probably lasted a couple of months.

Felicia isn't entirely "fixed" yet, as a decade's passed with her not knowing who Peter is. Hopefully Spencer remedies that.

Meh.

I've said from the start that whoever came back in Clone Conspiracy wasn't Ben and nothing has happened since then to change my mind. So I'm honestly not fussed about what's happened to this new character with the same name and the same face (which was always an occupational hazard for Ben anyway!).

For now, the real Ben remains dust. And for a long time, I was angry about that. And then I was sad. But after the events of whatever this book was supposed to be about, I think it's best summed up by Mr Jud Crandall.

Well sometimes, dead is better. The person you put up there ain't the person that comes back. It might look like that person, but it ain't that person...
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Its difficult when expectations don't match up with reality. And I think the less we see of these characters the more expectations get built up - to a point. Ben Reilly hadn't been seen for a long time so when he finally showed up again it was going to be hard to meet the expectations of his fans no matter what you did. People want to capture that original spirit of the character as if no time had passed and the world was still the same as during the 1990s. Plus I don't think fans really accepted his death as portrayed in the comics.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Its difficult when expectations don't match up with reality. And I think the less we see of these characters the more expectations get built up - to a point. Ben Reilly hadn't been seen for a long time so when he finally showed up again it was going to be hard to meet the expectations of his fans no matter what you did. People want to capture that original spirit of the character as if no time had passed and the world was still the same as during the 1990s. Plus I don't think fans really accepted his death as portrayed in the comics.
    nicely said
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    He was supposed to be the "perfect clone." If he were so perfect a clone, he wouldn't have turned to dust (or ashes) upon death like all the other clones did. A lot of people suspected for a long time that some fake-out had occurred, besides Marvel blatantly defying its own internal logic just to "prove" that Ben was the clone all along.