Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    That's because Ben's face became scarred from an attack by Wolverine. Like Doom, he didn't want to show his scarred face.
    He's made of stone, his whole body is like the Mohave Desert during a drought, and he's worried about a scar?

I just find the excuses Comic Book writers come up with to justify strange costume changes to be very bizarre.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    He's made of stone, his whole body is like the Mohave Desert during a drought, and he's worried about a scar?

I just find the excuses Comic Book writers come up with to justify strange costume changes to be very bizarre.
    Hey, that was the Extreme 90's for you!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Girls, guns, girls with big guns wielding big guns? How about girls with just gums wielding guns?

Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member

"Try this in ya contest, ya louse!"

--
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Is that you ‎on the cover Amanda Conner?
    Not getting this. I've seen her at C2E2 and she doesn't ressemble Electra
    How long ago did you first see her at a convention?
    Was it back in the mid-1980s?
    In those days, when she worked at a comic book shop in Norwalk, CT and was still establishing herself in the business, she also worked for Bill Sienkiewicz. Around the time that Sienkiewicz was drawing Elektra: Assassin, Amanda's duties as his art assistant included doing some modeling/posing for the art on that series.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    That cover represented lots about what was wrong with Marvel books in the 90's during the "Extreme" era: ridiculously big ass guns (thanks for nothing, Rob Liefeld), Sue's stripper outfit, shoulder pads for days, pouches galore, not to mention just about everyone wearing vests or jackets (and didn't Johnny look particularly stupid on that cover?). Needless to say, I don't miss that decade.
    Some folks are trying hard to bring the 90's back...DC's putting out shiny covers, a couple of youtube stars are having some success with their indie comics that seem very 90's...

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

You forgot to mention that it is a holographic cover! ( I have this issue)
    As do I. Any serious FF collector is willing to ignore the bad and just own it.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    If memory serves (a dicey proposition at my advanced age), Ben donned the helmet after Wolverine accidently slashed his face during a skirmish. But yeah, not even Doom covered his entire head like that.
    It can at least be considered a callback to the very earliest days of the FF when Ben was trying to pass himself as human by wearing a dull blue jumpsuit like the rest of the team, and a full face helmet like that one. Of course, not wearing a shirt means it pointless for that.

You can find a bunch of books I wrote stories for here. The weekly column is here.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

How long ago did you first see her at a convention?
    Was it back in the mid-1980s?
    In those days, when she worked at a comic book shop in Norwalk, CT and was still establishing herself in the business, she also worked for Bill Sienkiewicz. Around the time that Sienkiewicz was drawing Elektra: Assassin, Amanda's duties as his art assistant included doing some modeling/posing for the art on that series.
    I saw her a couple of years ago in Chicago. She seemed a bit average size to me....not long legged like that. The face doesn't seem like how she looks now either

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    It can at least be considered a callback to the very earliest days of the FF when Ben was trying to pass himself as human by wearing a dull blue jumpsuit like the rest of the team, and a full face helmet like that one. Of course, not wearing a shirt means it pointless for that.
    The funny thing about it is when he finally takes the Helmut off, its a minor looking scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    The funny thing about it is when he finally takes the Helmut off, its a minor looking scratch.
    Here is a good summation of the situation
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

I saw her a couple of years ago in Chicago. She seemed a bit average size to me....not long legged like that. The face doesn't seem like how she looks now either
    Well, that would have been about thirty years after that illustration was completed?
    And remember, the main thing an artist might look for when using a person to pose for a comic book drawing is more the positioning of things; they wouldn't have to have the exact same measurements/features as the character being drawn, but you would want how/where they hold the gun, etc. to help the overall composition. (Besides, how many women do you know who have legs that are that tall and thin? And do you think most of Sienkiewicz's work is photo-realistic?)

Well, that would have been about thirty years after that illustration was completed?
    And remember, the main thing an artist might look for when using a person to pose for a comic book drawing is more the positioning of things; they wouldn't have to have the exact same measurements/features as the character being drawn, but you would want how/where they hold the gun, etc. to help the overall composition. (Besides, how many women do you know who have legs that are that tall and thin? And do you think most of Sienkiewicz's work is photo-realistic?)
    I'm wondering what Jimmy Palmiotti's take on this speculation is?

Seriously, though, this is another piece of information I've learned from this contest. I get to see awesome covers and learn stuff.

Matt Baker's Canteen Kate is there somewhere with a gun!
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !