Default "The Death of Superman Lives: What Happened?" Documentary

Does anyone know about this fan-backed documentary? This is the first I've heard of it.

Anyone have any details? Running time, will it be available in stores to purchase, etc?

I mean, yeah, it would probably have been terrible, but...I really want to see the behind the scenes stuff here. Video of Cage in costume test, walking around? Hell yes.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

I found his donation site, apparently he needs cash to finish post production.
    http://www.fanbacked.com/c/death-sup...nishing-funds/

Mods, is this allowed here? It just occurred to me that it might not be under the new board rules. I'm not the guy making it, I'm just interested in it. But I don't want to break rules or anything.

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

from that same webpage: http://uproxx.com/filmdrunk/2014/07/...ages-superman/

"One of the best of the many, many, many stories that Kevin Smith has told over the years involves his role in a Superman movie that never happened. In his An Evening with Kevin Smith special, the Clerks writer and director talked about how producer Jon Peters had called on him to write a script for what would have been called Superman Lives, and Smith hilariously describes how Peters was obsessed with this idea of having the Man of Steel, played by Sean Penn, battle a giant spider, while the villain Brainiac would also have a fight scene with polar bears. The whole thing was a delightful mess, and it’s a shame that it was never made.

But now Smith has teamed with producer and director Jon Schnepp to help tell another story in the documentary The Death of Superman Lives: What Happened?, which is currently accepting donations toward the $85,000 goal that Schnepp needs to finish production. In this doc, Schnepp sits down with everyone from director Tim Burton to producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura to discuss the unfinished Superman Lives, which would have been helmed by Burton and starred Nic Cage as the man in the cape.

In order to make that push for the final $85K that he needs – which is completely broken down on the FanBacked page – Schnepp released a trailer to show us what Metropolis might have been like had Burton been behind the camera and our favorite over-actor flying through the sky."

I've seen the Kevin Smith bit...it never gets old hearing about it haha

BANNED

Is thi going to be a dvd?
    And from where i can purchase it?

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Is thi going to be a dvd?
    And from where i can purchase it?
    So far you can get a dvd by donating to the cause. Go up to the link I posted.

BANNED

here's a rundown of the script, if anybody wants to know what would happened in the movie:

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/supe...n-lives-script

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Looks great, Burtons stuff and the documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
    here's a rundown of the script, if anybody wants to know what would happened in the movie:

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/supe...n-lives-script
    Well, I have Kevin Smith's two Superman Lives scripts (January 31st, 1997 and March 27th, 1997) and Wesley Strick’s Superman script (July 7th, 1997), and the majority of that article by Seb Patrick is very biased towards Kevin Smith and very biased against Tim Burton/Wesley Strick, very opinionated and exaggerated, and inaccurate, rather than fairly open-minded and informative.

Superman is not all dark, brooding and isolated from all of humanity and is not distanced from humanity when he learns his origin of Krypton in the Wesley Strick’s Superman script. Superman has not chosen to let his human identity die in Wesley Strick’s Superman script. Superman makes it clear in the Strick Superman Lives script how his place is here on Earth, this is his home, these are his people, he cares for them and he's dedicated to help them, etc. that is faithful and respectful to who Superman is and what he symbolizes. After he learns that he's from Krypton and discovers the Fortress of Solitude and learns of Brainiac, he says...
    CLARK
    If I'm in danger, then so is
    Metropolis. So is Earth ...

K
    That would follow.

Clark's first response is instinctive:

CLARK
    Then I've got to get back --

CLARK (cont'd)
    Nice to meet you, K ... Take care.

In the end as Superman walks with Lois Lane a little girl asks...

LITTLE GIRL
    C'n I get his autograph?

MOM
    Leave him be, they look so happy.
    Jerry Siegel/Joe Shuster, Bill Finger/Bob Kane/Gardner Fox/Sheldon Moldoff/Jerry Robinson, William Moulton Marston under the pen name Charles Moulton/Harry Peter. Creators of the most enduring iconic archetypes of the comic book superhero genre. The creators early Golden Age versions should be preserved. The early Golden Age mythology by the creators are as close to the proper, correct authentic versions as there is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ely View Post
    Well, I have Kevin Smith's two Superman Lives scripts (January 31st, 1997 and March 27th, 1997) and Wesley Strick’s Superman script (July 7th, 1997), and the majority of that article by Seb Patrick is very biased towards Kevin Smith and very biased against Tim Burton/Wesley Strick, very opinionated and exaggerated, and inaccurate, rather than fairly open-minded and informative.

Superman is not all dark, brooding and isolated from all of humanity and is not distanced from humanity when he learns his origin of Krypton in the Wesley Strick’s Superman script. Superman has not chosen to let his human identity die in Wesley Strick’s Superman script. Superman makes it clear in the Strick Superman Lives script how his place is here on Earth, this is his home, these are his people, he cares for them and he's dedicated to help them, etc. that is faithful and respectful to who Superman is and what he symbolizes. After he learns that he's from Krypton and discovers the Fortress of Solitude and learns of Brainiac, he says...
    CLARK

K
    That would follow.

CLARK

CLARK (cont'd)

LITTLE GIRL
    C'n I get his autograph?

MOM
    well I didn't know, I didn't read both scripts.

CLARK

K
    That would follow.

CLARK

CLARK (cont'd)

LITTLE GIRL
    C'n I get his autograph?

MOM
    There's a lot of queries and strange questions surrounding this film, and the scripts are definitely one of them.

You know... some of the misconceptions could be cleared, if you were to actually post all of the scripts, that you have, that only a fraction of the fan-base even knows exist... with perhaps some annotations and all...

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The guy directing and making this John Shnep is on the AMC Movie Talk show a few times a week over on Youtube. It is a pretty good daily movie run down show. He is a pretty funny guy.

CLARK

K
    That would follow.

CLARK

CLARK (cont'd)

LITTLE GIRL
    C'n I get his autograph?

MOM
    Strick's script is still pretty damn terrible though. You can tell that it was written at a time when Jim Carrey was considered for playing Brainiac, it has a campy tone similar to the later Reeve-movies while still managing to be slow and boring and it still has a lot of obvious Jon Peters' stuff in it (the giant spider fight is still there, for example). I actually prefer Smith's version, which says a lot considering how bad that one is.

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    There's a lot of queries and strange questions surrounding this film, and the scripts are definitely one of them.

You know... some of the misconceptions could be cleared, if you were to actually post all of the scripts, that you have, that only a fraction of the fan-base even knows exist... with perhaps some annotations and all...
    Or maybe you could just google "Superman lives Wesley Strick script"?

Whether you personally like the script or not, it wasn't a comedy. Jim Carrey was rumored among others, until AICN reported that Kevin Spacey would play both Brainiac and Luthor, in a dual role. (Brainiac would be CGI and Spacey would voice the character -- and later merging Brainiac and Luthor, which is somewhat similar to the occurrence in "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?")
    http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news...ews-movie/0304
    Last edited by Steven Ely; 07-31-2014 at 07:57 PM.
    Jerry Siegel/Joe Shuster, Bill Finger/Bob Kane/Gardner Fox/Sheldon Moldoff/Jerry Robinson, William Moulton Marston under the pen name Charles Moulton/Harry Peter. Creators of the most enduring iconic archetypes of the comic book superhero genre. The creators early Golden Age versions should be preserved. The early Golden Age mythology by the creators are as close to the proper, correct authentic versions as there is.

Ermorden

Hey guys. I'm actually co-producing this documentary. It's great to see the kind of interest we all have in why this movie was never made echoed here. We're releasing a second trailer this Monday, and you can spread the word by joining us at Thunderclap http://thndr.it/Ve8XaL The new trailer is -sick-, and offers more of a peek into what kind of content the documentary will have. If you're interested in supporting the project, visit www.supportsupermanlives.com. Jon Schnepp is the director, as Zero Hunter mentioned. Feel free to hit me up with questions! Thanks in advance for your support!