Spectacular Member Huntsman1117's Avatar

Default CATWOMAN #4: An Emotional Reunion and Flashback with Maggie Kyle

CATWOMAN issue 4 is beautiful! Both covers and all of the artwork are gorgeous. It's a deeply emotional reunion with Selina's sister Maggie, including Selina's memories of their childhood, Maggie first seeing Selina as Catwoman, Selina meeting Maggies's husband, and the fate of said husband at the hands of Black Mask. Several of the panels looked like they were fresh from the pages of the 2001 volume by Cameron Stewart.
    Also in this issue, we get to see how Catwoman's new sleeve jacket unzips as she pulls off her cowl. I'm fond of that detail as it makes this new costume one of Selina's most interesting & unique outfits.
    This is a great read, and an effective display of Selina's deeper psyche.

For me it is interesting that the sister named Maggie isn't the Cat. (Cat on a Hot Tin Roof reference.)

Made me want to see Selina shoot Black Mask again.

So Brubaker's Catwoman run is definitely back in-continuity (although it might be a ways off before we get Brubaker Holly back).

The solicit was kind of off about Selina being behind bars in this issue, so I'm guessing she's probably arrested in the next issue.

Spectacular Member

I was so happy to see that the Black Mask stuff was officially back in continuity. That was one of the best Catwoman arcs of all time. I remember when I first read that story and all the feels came back. I think Joelle is going for that with Creel the way Brubaker did with Black Mask.

Always Rakzo

A short yet sweet chapter. Perfectly demonstrates how much Jones respects continuity and uses it to play with classic Catwoman themes.

And the art, wonderful combination of Jones and Blanco. Good read.

Spectacular Member Huntsman1117's Avatar

I neglected to mention that there is also a snippet from CATWOMAN: HER SISTER'S KEEPER in this issue.

Clearly, Joelle Jones has done her homework and has an appreciation for Catwoman's history. When it comes to history and continuity, it's almost safe to say that all of the significant moments in DC's history are now part of current continuity. As we've seen in BATMAN over the past year, the entire history between Batman and Catwoman is considered cannon. That brings to mind my questions about Selina's daughter Helen, as introduced by writer Will Pfiefer....would it not be interesting to bring this child back into the fold? Furthermore, what if Selina lied to Bruce about Helen? What if Helen actually is Bruce's daughter? A few months ago, Tom King did post images of Bruce and Selina with a young girl on social media with a caption saying he was working on Bat/Cat stuff with Joelle Jones. It certainly makes one wonder.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman1117 View Post
    I neglected to mention that there is also a snippet from CATWOMAN: HER SISTER'S KEEPER in this issue.

Clearly, Joelle Jones has done her homework and has an appreciation for Catwoman's history. When it comes to history and continuity, it's almost safe to say that all of the significant moments in DC's history are now part of current continuity. As we've seen in BATMAN over the past year, the entire history between Batman and Catwoman is considered cannon. That brings to mind my questions about Selina's daughter Helen, as introduced by writer Will Pfiefer....would it not be interesting to bring this child back into the fold? Furthermore, what if Selina lied to Bruce about Helen? What if Helen actually is Bruce's daughter? A few months ago, Tom King did post images of Bruce and Selina with a young girl on social media with a caption saying he was working on Bat/Cat stuff with Joelle Jones. It certainly makes one wonder.
    I remember loving that story when I first read it that was one of my favorite Catwoman runs I am probably the only one who liked it still I loved her dynamic with Bruce in that run and it was adorable seeing Selina as a mom. I would love if they brought that back the daughter was named Helena so they could bring her back and make her Helena Wayne if she is Bruce's daughter.

Fantastic Member

Well I will definitely pick this up. I just wish Joelle Jones was the senior planner since she actually likes both characters and understands them better than Tom King ever did. At least she showed how that new costume actually can be useful another question that I had thoughts about nice. It makes sense because of all the robins all the history of batman and catwoman should be official again.

Spectacular Member

This was great! Loved seeing the Her Sister's Keeper reference and the Halloween scene! Purrfection!!!

BANNED

I LOVED the art..it felt a bit like Aeon Flux (Peter Chung) and the costume <3

it was a very emotional story and very well done.

Mighty Member

This series isn't quite what I expected, and it's all the better for it. Some good, solid character work here.

And kudos once again to the art. This take on Selina is beautiful and emotive. It really helps with the mood and tone. This is probably one of my favorite books at DC right now (after Deathstroke and Red Hood).

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Great issue, yet again. Jones rocks.