Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post

I think larger teams like this can work if they divvy up to tackle different threats, or use only a handful of characters at any given time. I mean, Gladiator assumably has commitments to the Shi'ar, Beta Ray Bill may be called upon during the War of the Realms, Nova and Darkhawk are apart of larger groupings, and Silver Surfer is still a Herald of Galactus AFAIK. So we might not see all 11 characters at the same time combatting the same antagonist/s.
    That's almost worse. If for example, they sell me on a team book with Darkhawk… and Darkhawk only shows up every 4-5 issues... then I won't be a content costumer...

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    As for Adam Warlock, Gladiator, Beta Ray Bill & Silver Surfer being on the same team, as I've said they might not be active at the same time, but also there remain huge threats like Annihilus, Magus, Korvac or any of the Heralds of Galactus.
    That's what I'm talking about... I missed the Korvac story, but Magus, Annihilus and any of the heralds could (and HAVE) been taken down by Silver Surfer, Beta Ray Bill (or his Thor equal), OR Gladiator. They've been taken out by much smaller degrees of power, ala Fantastic Four... what in the world would be needed for ALL of them. outside of maybe Galactus and Celestial level threats? and again.. that's just a maybe considering what we've seen Thor do in the past. But man... I think a full powered Phoenix is the only thing missing in this line up!

I mean I believe the supposed threat that brings this line-up together is Thano's will, so depending on what or even who it concerns it may call for all these heavy hitters like Gladiator and Beta Ray Bill.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Phyla-Vell was a mistake. It's an AU version of a character on a team that already has an AU character on it. You're already digging a hole for the character to try to climb out of. The character is wearing the Hala star. I think the only person that should be wearing that right now is Captain Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    That's what I'm talking about... I missed the Korvac story, but Magus, Annihilus and any of the heralds could (and HAVE) been taken down by Silver Surfer, Beta Ray Bill (or his Thor equal), OR Gladiator. They've been taken out by much smaller degrees of power, ala Fantastic Four... what in the world would be needed for ALL of them. outside of maybe Galactus and Celestial level threats? and again.. that's just a maybe considering what we've seen Thor do in the past. But man... I think a full powered Phoenix is the only thing missing in this line up!
    Bug man had a serious power upgrade during the annihilation story. He was able to over power Quasar (killed him) and go toe to toe with a fully powered Nova prime.

When you look at the feats that just those 2 characters have done in the past they wouldn't break a sweat taking on a normal level annihilus.

I hope annihilus goes back to Uber levels of power.

Astonishing Member

At first I thought the character next to Nova has Star-Lord, but now I am leaning towards Adam Warlock.

They will probably have more Earth based adventures than space adventures.
    Don't worry Donny Cates is writing it, so it won't ladt long.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Like mentioned already, but you really do have to wonder what threat could stand up to such a collection of beings. Thanos seems to be the go to cosmic threat and, obvious obstacle aside, he would get spanked by this lot?

That said, in Cates short time at Marvel he's been pretty inventive so I'm sure he'll come up with something.

Amazing Member

Maybe they’ll bring back Tyrant as a villain.

I for one am glad any version of Phyla and Moondragon are appearing.
    I think the team looks pretty cool so far. Most of them would not be my first picks and it's sad that there seems to be only 2 women, but I think it's nice they're doing something new with the Guardians.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Phyla-Vell was a mistake. It's an AU version of a character on a team that already has an AU character on it. You're already digging a hole for the character to try to climb out of. The character is wearing the Hala star. I think the only person that should be wearing that right now is Captain Marvel.
    Well for me there are Phyla, Genis and Mar-vell have more of a claim on that than Carol but Marvel is more about movies than the source material so there is that. For me Phyla is the character on this new lineup that I am most interested in, now all we need is Genis or dare I dream, Mar-vell and then I would be really stoked for this project. This however feels more like the Wolverine, Spider-man Fantastic Four lineup, not destined to last long for the beforementioned movie issues. Lineup reminds me of the classic DnA run over Marvel cosmic, the last time it really impressed me.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Wow...

I really wish this was split up into two books. I absolutely LOVE Darkhawk and Beta Ray Bill... and even a big fan of Nova (New Warriros forever!!!) However I have always HATED Gladiator and Moondragon and have no feelings at all about pyhla or Cosmic Ghost Rider (how is that even a thing... mind boggles). And at 11 or so characters... how is this going to be a manageable team?? I have a feeling that my favorites will end up being background for one or two other big characters get all the spotlight.

No way to balance something like this...

Besides.. If we're right about Silver Surfer... Why in the world would you ever need Gladiator, Silver Surfer AND Beta Ray Bill on the same team??? What the heck are going to challenge them?!?!
    I grew up reading DC's Legion of Super Heroes a team with 25+ members (including Superboy and Supergirl).

11 members is child's play, IMO for a writer who knows how to write team books.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    There have been plenty of books with roster sizes comparable to this (even DnA's own Guardians had more members) where things were balanced and everyone got their time to shine. Cates might be able to pull it off.
    DnA started out on the 90's version of Legion, IRRC.

GotG must have seemed like a vacation to them.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Truth to tell, While I am familiar with only some of the members revealed (and speculated) so far, I've never been much of a "cosmic" fan...certainly not a hardcore GotG fan...But I just might give this a shot just to try something new and different.

I like the line-up so far though I wish there was more women on the team, Sersi and Singularity come to mind as characters not being used at the moment or Marvel seemingly does not have plans with. However, I think as long as they are not focused on movie continuity, and just writing a good story, this should be promising run.

Amazing Member

Honestly, the movies being (most likely) dead will probably be a huge boon to the GotG comics. No more need to chase film synergy.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymousmc View Post
    I like the line-up so far though I wish there was more women on the team, Sersi and Singularity come to mind as characters not being used at the moment or Marvel seemingly does not have plans with. However, I think as long as they are not focused on movie continuity, and just writing a good story, this should be promising run.
    Singularity was in the last two issues of Ms Marvel.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman