Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Default Fresh start: Pretty good so far?

Fresh start has largely been pretty good.

Amazing Spider-man, Venom, Captain America, Sentry, Immortal Hulk, Dr Strange, Iron Man have been excellent. Even minis like Cosmic Ghost Rider, Death of Inhumans and Life of Captain Marvel have been a lot of fun. While i have a problem with Thor's characterization in his book, I've really enjoyed the book overall.

I haven't kept up with the X-books so I can't comment on them (and I don't think they were relaunched with Fresh Start except for X-23).

The only books that I've read and not largely enjoyed are Avengers and Deadpool (seriously, this book hasn't really dropped off since Duggan left).

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Glad to hear it. I've yet to buy a single book, but it sounds like the majority of the Marvel fanbase are pleased.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I’ve really enjoyed Thor, Venom, F4, Sentry and Cosmic Ghost Rider so far. They’ve all been great.

I’ve been a little underwhelmed with Avengers but it’s started to pick up with the first arc out of the way.

Also been a little underwhelmed with Deadpool and Exiles up to now.

I’m enjoying six outta eight so I’d say it been successful from my small sample size.

Fresh Start's not over yet, remember. X-Men next month, and Champions in January, to name two.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I’ve really only been keeping up with the Hulk series(though I plan to trade wait Cosmic Ghost Rider, Death of Inhumans, and Captain Marvel) and I’ll say that Ewing has been doing a great job with the creep/horror factor and the premise of Hulk comes back from the dead/comes out at night. It’s a very different type of Hulk story than I’ve ever read but Ewing’s made it work.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

I've liked a couple of books a lot

It's mostly caused me to drop books as I didn't like the creators styles

I'd say I love 2 books, read 2 more as ok ish, but I'm reading less marvel than ever

But there's been a lot of positive response I think

Agreed with the OP that Avengers and Deadpool have been the only 2 sub-par Fresh Start books I've read. Young's Deadpool has completely turned me off from the character of-late, and if anyone is familiar with me around here, that's really saying something. Avengers just feels so bland.

However! Iron Man, Captain America, Punisher, Daredevil (not Fresh Start, but still), Amazing Spider-Man, and X-Men's Extermination event have all be wildly enjoyable.

BANNED

It's hard to say what's a hit and what isn't, as we all have our personal tastes. I can't stand Sentry for example, so it makes sense for me to not enjoy the series. Captain America feels like it's retreading old ground, and IMO need a bigger shake-up (please ditch Sharon Carter). The inclusion of Selene isn't quite enough of a pull to follow the series issue-by-issue. Deadpool has been trash. Domino is a mixed bag which doesn't meet they hype of the storylines it promises. Thor doesn't feel like Thor, despite the overall plot being pretty great (minus the time-jump Old Man Thor stuff)

For me, the standout ongoing titles right now are:

Avengers- the first arc wasn't for me, and I'm not big on how Aaron writes Thor & She-Hulk, but the art quality, particularly in the last two issues, has been spectacular, and I'm loving the character interactions. I'm excited to see what becomes of this Avengers team, especially when the War of the Realms comes to Midgard in 2019.

Doctor Strange- I really despise the comic trope of being depowered, but Stephen soon bounced back from that, and I'm loving his magical arsenal. The new look is killer, and Kanna is a great supporting character. I hope that now he's back on Earth we can get some legitimate magic stories. I wanna see some proper mysticism and supernatural elements. A follow-up on Damnation would be good.

Runaways- I'm not sure if it's apart of the Fresh Start initiative, but I figure Rainbow Rowell and Kris Anka have done such great work that it deserves recognition regardless. I love that they're characters that don't fight bad guys every issue, and instead deal with somewhat mundane issues. They're all lovable in their own way.

Tony Stark: Iron Man- probably the freshest take on the character in quite some time, and I'm enjoying reading Ironman for the first time in a long time. The tone is perfect, and the strong supporting cast (Rhodey, Bethany Cabe, Jocasta, Machine Man, Wasp) is so damn great. Arno Stark enters the book next which should be very interesting.

Hulk and Venom have been awesome. Marvel needs more dark, moody, cosmic horror kinda books.

I like Cap, avengers, champions and the uke cage and jessica jones books. iffy on amazing spiderman

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I'm really not sure what folds into "Fresh Start" or not, but the only book I'm currently reading from Marvel is RUNAWAYS, and that got me walking back into a comic shop regularly for the first time in years*. What I've read via previews of current titles have been good, and I'm following quite a bit on Marvel Unlimited but with the delay I guess it will be a while before I have a strong opinion.

*It also made me return to these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Hulk and Venom have been awesome. Marvel needs more dark, moody, cosmic horror kinda books.
    So true, Immortal Hulk and Venom are the best Marvel ongoings right now and Sentry and Cosmic Ghost Rider the best minis in my opinion.

I can't wait to see what's in store for the Wolverine and Daredevil "Fresh Start" relaunch next year!

Immortal Hulk, Iron Man and Fantastic Four have all been great so far.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Fantastic Four, Immortal Hulk, Doctor Strange, Daredevil, and Amazing Spider-Man have all been great!

Unfortunately the X-Men books continue to limp along (and I don't have high hopes for the Uncanny relaunch).
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

Across the board everyting been good except deadpool and avengers. Of the ongoing x-23 and captain America are my favorites, sentry is very good,and though I'm waiting for the trade I hear great things for hulk. Return of wolverine is my biggest disappoint, he was teased for so long the tie ins were a waste of money that accomplish nothing(not to mention there's a good chance return might not end with him coming back or that were not following the real logan) I expected more content for hownlongnit dragged on