Page 33 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Scott never left Maddie for Jean. She was manipulated and her pain was valid based on the limited information she was given, but that and Uncanny X-men was limited information. It didnt depict the entire story.

He went to see if she was really alive and he was well within his right to do so. He didnt leave to end his marriage. He didnt leave to be with Jean. He didnt handle things well but neither did Madelyne with her ultimatum and trying to control him. Unfortunately their lack of communication gave Sinister the in he needed to exacerbate things.
    Scott was not within his rights to deceive Madelyne by letting her think she was playing second fiddle to Warren. If he'd blurted out "Jean's alive!"--a natural reaction IMHO--Maddie would have understood what was really going on. I don't know what she would have done, but at least she could have gotten over the worst of her anger before she was ambushed by demons.

Scott walked out and traveled several thousand miles because of Jean. And I very much doubt he was thinking about his marriage one way or another. Indeed, by his own later admission he was obsessed with getting to Jean to the exclusion of all other thoughts.

I don't regard Madelyne's "Don't bother coming back!" as an ultimatum. It as an outburst of anger at a husband who was assuring her they'd "work things out" one moment, then heading out the door the next.

Revanche wasnt a villian
    My bad. I was confusing her with the Sisterhood.
    I dont think its fair to blame Jean. She didbt know. It was kept from her for weeks. She found out just as the Mutant Massacre was starting up. She had responsibilities to the children and Morlocks she had taken in, not to mention, Warren was hospitalized. It would have been selfish and insensitive of her to bail. In the midst of all this, Maddie became a nonfactor as she was presumed dead so there was no reason why Jean should have felt the need to leave
    Neither did Madelyne know. It was months before she found out about Jean.
    Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Maddie was presumed dead (like Jean), but was she ever legally declared dead?
    I suppose Scott must have told someone his wife was dead before they cremated her. But have you ever seen a death certificate issued for a comic--book--or any other--fictional character? I haven't.
    Last edited by Anodyne; 05-18-2018 at 02:19 PM.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Spectacular Member

Inferno is definitely in my top 5 X-Men storylines, will always love her for that alone.

Actually, wish she was a permanent fixture with the X-Men and all the different Jean’s were dead.

I don't blame Scott for what happened to Madelyne as this entire thing originated due to execs wanting to bring back Jean, even if it contradicted the original story. Not sure if all of you are familiar with how Claremont was not hapoy when they mentioned that decision. However, I was not a big fan of Madelyne looking like Jean for obvious reasons but Claremont really wanted his happy ending of Scott and Jean going into retirement and starting a family. Something that a lot of us wish would actually happen for some characters. We are able to see parts of this with Rachel Summers. Considering how they wanted Madelyne to die or be put in the fridge so that Scott can get back with Jean, it is quite obvious who is at fault. As great as Inferno was it sole purpose was to depict Madelyne as a vile villian who would go as far as murdering children. That way when she died, there would be no sympathy for her. Thankfully Claremont was able to show the tragedy of the character and what was done to her both from a character and editorial point of view. Sadly as much as I want Madelyne to return to the X-Men as a hero it will be nigh impossible as it will come into conflict with Jean and we are already seeing some unlikely things going on with Rachel. Similar to the Hank Pym mess, no matter how many times the story has concluded, the punishments, or what consequences were dealt afterwards it all becomes moot. It always going to go back to Clone, Betrayal, and Revenge. Until someone can break Madelyne free of that there may be a chance.
    I come when there's something to take but I never give anything back.
    I know what you want. But it is not here. It's gone and it will never ever come again...

I agree that the best way to move Maddie forward is to dump the Jean Clone, Betrayal, and Revenge stories against Cyclops and his family. She needs new stories. I did not read the Sisterhood story where Maddie leaves with Selene. Did this story involve Maddie wanting revenge against Scott or any other X-Men over the clone/being abandoned by Cyclops thing?

I would like to see a story where Maddie gets the redemption that I feel that she deserves. And she gets some form of apology from the X-Men.

And I have to say that this thread is loaded cheesecake artwork. And no, I'm not a prude or think that sex shouldn't be referenced in comics.

Ultimate Member

I think that sometimes Marvel pushed Maddie as being a sexier version of Jean so as to further separate the two...and Maddie does look good in those cheesecake shots so...as long as they don't go overboard...

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I think that sometimes Marvel pushed Maddie as being a sexier version of Jean so as to further separate the two...and Maddie does look good in those cheesecake shots so...as long as they don't go overboard...
    Well Maddie fans are in two camps:

A) Those for whom the boob window (or trap door?) and loin cloth left a very strong impression at an early age. While I was sorry to see it go for nostalgia reasons, for the character ditching the boob window was the right call for her.

B) Those who love Maddie for being more badass than Jean could ever hope to be (The first Genosha arc is hands down my favorite x-men story).

I'm with those that that say Maddie is long overdue for a correction to all that happened to her. I don't appreciate her as a straight villain and never will.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I think we're probably entering one of those generational shifts where overtly carnal imagery is being eschewed for more conservative -- or at least covered up -- sensibilities. These things are cyclical.

What I like about Madelyne is that her beautiful features leap off of the page no matter what she's wearing. It begs the question, though, if Maddie was to undergo a complete reimagining -- I don't mean just a simple change in hair coloring and wardrobe, but a wholesale Psylocke-type revamp where she looks totally different -- would everyone appreciate her as much?

I think we're probably entering one of those generational shifts where overtly carnal imagery is being eschewed for more conservative -- or at least covered up -- sensibilities. These things are cyclical.

What I like about Madelyne is that her beautiful features leap off of the page no matter what she's wearing. It begs the question, though, if Maddie was to undergo a complete reimagining -- I don't mean just a simple change in hair coloring and wardrobe, but a wholesale Psylocke-type revamp where she looks totally different -- would everyone appreciate her as much?
    First, I don't mind Maddie wearing an out fit that is a little more revealing than some other characters. She strikes me as an Emma Frost type who uses sex as a weapon. I just find the under boob and loin cloth a little excessive. Wearing some thing more along the lines of Miss Sinister or Emma would be okay in my opinion. But I didn't grow up reading about Maddie or Inferno as a young person, so I don't have the same feelings for the under boob outfit that readers who grew up seeing it have. I never even got to read Inferno until I became old enough to afford buying Inferno in trade form.

As far as a complete Psylocke-type body alteration, I would say no. I didn't like the idea that Maddie was just a complete Jean look alike for Cyclops to marry only to be revealed as an evil clone. But I do think the idea of Maddie accepting she is a clone moving forward with her life that way is more interesting than a body switch. Just my opinion.I guess when I suggested Maddie dumping the Jean clone who is only out for revenge in an earlier post of mine, I should have done a better job of explaining that
    Last edited by Thievery; 05-22-2018 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngelSliver View Post
    First, I don't mind Maddie wearing an out fit that is a little more revealing than some other characters. She strikes me as an Emma Frost type who uses sex as a weapon. I just find the under boob and loin cloth a little excessive. Wearing some thing more along the lines of Miss Sinister or Emma would be okay in my opinion. But I didn't grow up reading about Maddie or Inferno as a young person, so I don't have the same feelings for the under boob outfit that readers who grew up seeing it have. I never even got to read Inferno until I became old enough to afford buying Inferno in trade form.

As far as a complete Psylocke-type body alteration, I would say no. I didn't like the idea that Maddie was just a complete Jean look alike for Cyclops to marry only to be revealed as an evil clone. But I do think the idea of Maddie accepting she is a clone moving forward with her life that way is more interesting than a body switch. Just my opinion.I guess when I suggested Maddie dumping the Jean clone who is only out for revenge in an earlier post of mine, I should have done a better job of explaining that
    I hear you. The Inferno costume was definitely a product of my generation. At the time I thought it was the perfect statement costume for Maddie. However, I viewed Maddie's reason for wearing it a little differently than someone like Emma's reasons for wearing racy garments. I think Maddie was establishing that she was finally comfortable in her own skin. It's no big secret that sometimes women wear certain styles of clothing because of how it makes them feel, how it proclaims and positively reaffirms their sense of being. How it made others feel was not even a slight consideration. Someone like Emma would wear it because of how it makes others feel. Someone like Maddie would wear it because of how it makes her feel. Different paths to the same end, I suppose.

I could go either way on a Psylocke-like transformation, just as long as the personality remains largely unchanged. I like sketching her as the Jean clone, but if one day Marvel pushes out an issue where Maddie looks like Shuma Gorath or something like that, well, I'd be fine sketching that, too.

Oh no. For better or worse, her connection to Jean is core to her character. I dont think doing a drastic change that fundmanetally changes her appearnce would be a good idea. I am all for her getting a physical change to help define her in her own right. Maybe a black streak in her hair or maybe have her lose an arm and then get a metallic one (which physically makes her have more in common with her son, Cable). I think she needs to be kept with red hair and green eyes though

Oh no. For better or worse, her connection to Jean is core to her character. I dont think doing a drastic change that fundmanetally changes her appearnce would be a good idea. I am all for her getting a physical change to help define her in her own right. Maybe a black streak in her hair or maybe have her lose an arm and then get a metallic one (which physically makes her have more in common with her son, Cable). I think she needs to be kept with red hair and green eyes though
    A nice hair cut and a change of clothes does wonders for a character. Although I really dislike how villains always grab black as part of their ensemble. What happened to all the other colors? I know why it's done in a visual standpoint. Still I prefer a little color.
    I come when there's something to take but I never give anything back.
    I know what you want. But it is not here. It's gone and it will never ever come again...

I know that most people don't like the alternate universe version of Maddie used in the teen O5 comics, and I know why. Most people, including myself, would rather see the real Maddie Pryor used.

But if you would like a physical change, would you like real were to Maddie to take on some of alternate Maddie's more goblin features. Maybe some goblin wings and tail to make her look more different than both Jean and alternate reality Maddie.

Red hair with black streaks and vice versa have been done to death out here on the West Coast. Wouldn't mind seeing Maddie with predominantly red hair highlighted by both gold and platinum highlights/streaks. Hmmm...I may try drawing that look later.

Ultimate Member

I wouldn't have a problem with Maddie being back and having a sexier wardrobe than Jean without going overblown with it would, but also then no big change like with Psylocke, she doesn't need that and just haver Maddie as more her old self before all the baby sacrificing crap that got tacked on later...

I might be the only one that found the pilot jumpers and bomber jacket sexier than the Goblin underboob!

Another possible path for Madelyne: time with the Starjammers? She was always one of those stock Claremont "flying to the stars was always my dream" characters, and as wrong as it sounds, I could even see her and Corsair falling for each other!!!!!!!