Page 39 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I think she could.

The way I view Madelyne is kind of similar to Emma - except she didn't adopt the persona of being a refined woman like Emma did. Instead she grew them naturally when she became the Goblyn Queen and mixed them with the strange darkness that comes with no longer having a soul and being corrupted by demons to be, well, their magickal queen.

And then to top it all off she has a temper similar to her template's and it's... not a great combo. But she's still fun none the less.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    People in the real world can't even establish whether anyone has a soul. For my opinion, see my sig quote.

In the MU, I'd say a soul ought to be a prerequisite for appearing on the astral plane (plain?); Maddie has appeared on the astral plane; so any character who says clones don't have souls is simply revealing the writer's prejudices.
    Well, yeah, I've read stories where sci-fi writers handle clones both ways. In some books, clones have souls, while in others, clones are merely a step above an automaton, operating according to a more advanced code, but lacking a soul. In Maddie's case, I would have established early on that she has a soul. But then again, I'm the crazy guy who thinks that manipulating all higher levels of magic (let alone astral interaction) should require a soul.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Maddie's history is so complicated. Can we just go back to the time when she was Anodyne and restart her story from there? Maybe "Those Who Sit Above in Shadow" sensed her embryonic Phoenix fragment and decided to keep it incubating in the elven Firefountain. The Maddie that went home with Scott to bear his child and eventually become the Goblin Queen wasn't really Maddie at all, but a very powerful echo of her.

In typing that, yes, I realize that I just made her story even more complicated.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Inuyasha? Haha
    Yes lol.

Wait, what? I'm pretty sure that her original body was brought back to life, alongside Selene's, with the help of the Enchantress and Arkea. It's Lady Deathstrike that was in Ana Cortes, but that was dropped.
    I will have to re-read that part, but I could've sworn that after Ana killed herself, Lady D had her consciousness removed into a recreated cyborg body and Maddie was placed inside her body and genetically altered.

Quote Originally Posted by Izanami View Post
    I just realized I want to see Madelyne come back and form her own team of X-Men or Mercenaries. She can work well being an Anti-Hero or a character with grey on grey morality. Do the things Jean herself cannot to protect those she cares about. Also a costume and personality outside of Grey.
    I can definitely go with this. She started to reach this point while she was a main supporting character in X-man. She even guarded Jean and saved her life once without Jean even knowing she was ever there or in danger.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Could Maddy sort of function the way Emma Frost has been, like a snarky sarcastic bitch , counterpoint to Saint Jean and Stoic Storm? Or Cheerful Rogue etc?
    Definitely. She was a total bitch to Jean in X-man #25 when they met for the first time after Madelyne's resurrection.

One of my favorite quotes from her.

"Been there, done that. And his little brother too." - Maddie (to Jean)

Astonishing Member

was reading Extermination and was truly upset to see Jean referring to Cable as "her" son. Will the taking of everything from Maddie and giving it to Jean ever stop? I want Maddy to be a hero or at least get to anti-hero status on Havok's Astonishing book, because lord knows she will never be treated fairly on any book within ten feet of Jean. The way the X-Men and Marvel editorial have treated Maddy no wonder she is always acting like an all out villain. Does anyone even think to contact Maddy about Nate because they surely ran to let Jean know. Another example why I am forever team Maddy and despise the oft resurrected Jean Grey.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    was reading Extermination and was truly upset to see Jean referring to Cable as "her" son. Will the taking of everything from Maddie and giving it to Jean ever stop? I want Maddy to be a hero or at least get to anti-hero status on Havok's Astonishing book, because lord knows she will never be treated fairly on any book within ten feet of Jean. The way the X-Men and Marvel editorial have treated Maddy no wonder she is always acting like an all out villain. Does anyone even think to contact Maddy about Nate because they surely ran to let Jean know. Another example why I am forever team Maddy and despise the oft resurrected Jean Grey.
    Couple of thoughts:

1)Well given that Jean helped raise Nathan from an infant to teenager, of course she is going to view him as her son. It doesn't discount that Maddie is his actual mother, but currently the X-Office has abandoned nearly all the developments in Brian Wood's X-Men series, especially around the resurrected Maddie. And harkening to "Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix", it makes sense for Jean to say that. They chose to use the parody Goblyn Queen from Secret Wars instead of really bringing the alive Maddie back into things. Maybe she'll re-emerge now that Jean is back? But Maddie has been MIA since well before Uncanny 600/Secret Wars. And correct me if I'm wrong, they showed our Maddie as a ghost/psychic entity during that run vs in a body like she was previous to Secret Wars.

2) Editorial has a pretty strong view point of Maddie and it sadly won't deviate from the the scorned wife/mother/clone perspective. Regardless if Jean is alive or not. Honestly her last appearance in Wood's X-Men was blah. I didn't get why she was needed if she was going to legit attack Rachel and leave. They have soooo much potential with both Maddie and Jean being alive, and having now a teenage Nathan. But it won't likely be brought up cuz they don't want to engage. It's sad really.

3) Even if they thought about it, how or why would Rachel or Storm seek out Maddie to inform her? Last time they met she attacked Rachel. And likely they have forgotten she's alive (I think everyone but readers has). And no one "ran" to Jean to tell her, she heard Jeen's psychic scream and 'ported to her and found Cable's body. I get how you feel though

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Why are you upset? Jean has felt this way for over 20 years worth of comics. Cable IS her son. She raised him and while it may suck for Maddie fans, she's the only mother he's known. It would be a disservice to Cable and Jean if she didnt view him as her child. Step-relationships matter

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Maddy, Sage, Polaris = three characters I really think need to be pushed more and brought back into the comics.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Amazing Member

All Maddie needs is a duel with Magik so she can stab her with the Soul Sword and purge the demon from Maddie. She'll still have her mental powers. Or, at least reconcile the fact that the Phoenix force gave her a soul and the ability to have a child. I think this character is a lot of wasted potential.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeydiaz81 View Post
    All Maddie needs is a duel with Magik so she can stab her with the Soul Sword and purge the demon from Maddie. She'll still have her mental powers. Or, at least reconcile the fact that the Phoenix force gave her a soul and the ability to have a child. I think this character is a lot of wasted potential.
    What demon? I always thought she as Goblin Queen was limited to Inferno. Unless I missed something, she wasnt still corruppted by N'astirh in the 90s, Fraction's run or later Sisterhood

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    What demon? I always thought she as Goblin Queen was limited to Inferno. Unless I missed something, she wasnt still corruppted by N'astirh in the 90s, Fraction's run or later Sisterhood
    Yeah, she hasn't been "infected" by N'astirh or another demon since Inferno. Any version of 616 Maddie that has appeared since then has had tk and tp powers but no magic (at least that I can think of). Only alternate versions are still corrupted.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Yeah, she hasn't been "infected" by N'astirh or another demon since Inferno. Any version of 616 Maddie that has appeared since then has had tk and tp powers but no magic (at least that I can think of). Only alternate versions are still corrupted.
    Didn't she use her "magic" to bring Psylocke's body back in that Sisterhood arc?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Didn't she use her "magic" to bring Psylocke's body back in that Sisterhood arc?
    See, I totally forgot about that. I thought I remembered it that she used her tk (although she technically didn't have a body but, you know, comics) and Spiral did the magic of getting Psylocke. Whelp, I don't remember her using magic in her last appearance with Selene. Amara was the magic user there. It would be the defining difference between her and Jean should they co-exist in terms of abilities.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    See, I totally forgot about that. I thought I remembered it that she used her tk (although she technically didn't have a body but, you know, comics) and Spiral did the magic of getting Psylocke. Whelp, I don't remember her using magic in her last appearance with Selene. Amara was the magic user there. It would be the defining difference between her and Jean should they co-exist in terms of abilities.
    As the Red Queen she used her magic repeatedly. She healed Chimera. She was going to use her magic to resurrect Jean's body to house her physical form.

In her last appearance, neither she nor Selene did much and neither one used their magic. Any Maddie we see at all will be the demonic Goblin Queen from Secret Wars. Because that's how editorial is defining her different from Jean. Jean can go Phoenix. Maddie's ties to demonic magic make her the Goblin Queen and they decided to give her demon powers. The real Goblin Queen was so powerful because of the Phoenix fragment within, but any reference to a Phoenix connection to Maddie has been stripped.

A piece I'm working on with Red Qyeen and Black Queen for a Psi Wars seuquel.....Psi-Wars-2.jpg