Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Reading the issues when Madelyne was first introduced. Wow. I tell you, when Marvel has a mind to really screw over a character, they don't play around.
    Rereading her first appearances make me a bit sad all over again for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    From the Scott Summers--Cyclops Appreciation 2018 thread:

I suspect Logan had similar thoughts. Remember his words to Alex? "Our Madelyne had her troubles, sure, but that thing's a demon conjuring!" If only Marvel had done much of what you said.

Your post really belongs on Madelyne's thread. I'm going to copy it there, along with my reply.
    I loved Mutant X Maddie because she got the "happy" ending that our Maddie never got.

I'd love to see Madelyne in some type of leadership role and as an anti-hero similar to Emma Frost.

Astonishing Member

I have no problem with anti-hero Maddie, I am hoping she finds a place on Alex's (Havok's) Astonishing X-Men team, since she and he have a relationship (in 616 and in Mutant X), plus this team seems to be at odds with the X-Men family proper which works. It would also create a weird dynamic with the new X-Force book and teen Cable, since she is his mom but Slim and Red raised him for a sliver of time. Plus the Astonishing Team can use more girl members. For me Maddie is a really cool character that got done wrong by writers to get out of a sticky situation. She and Alex are kindred spirits in a meta sense, because both of their characters are often jobbed out (wrestling term) to make Scott and Jean look better.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I have no problem with anti-hero Maddie, I am hoping she finds a place on Alex's (Havok's) Astonishing X-Men team, since she and he have a relationship (in 616 and in Mutant X), plus this team seems to be at odds with the X-Men family proper which works. It would also create a weird dynamic with the new X-Force book and teen Cable, since she is his mom but Slim and Red raised him for a sliver of time. Plus the Astonishing Team can use more girl members. For me Maddie is a really cool character that got done wrong by writers to get out of a sticky situation. She and Alex are kindred spirits in a meta sense, because both of their characters are often jobbed out (wrestling term) to make Scott and Jean look better.
    AXM has been cancelled and Warpath and Beast already have new homes. I doubt Alex’s team will continue past this current arc in the background

IDA in what you said about Alex. How is he often jobbed to make Scott look better? That’s a narrative that doesn’t really hold true. It doesn’t even hold true for Maddie. You are using that wrestling term wrong
    Last edited by Havok83; 11-13-2018 at 09:42 AM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

From way out in left in left field, my vote for Maddie's next beau situation. Not Alex. Not Scott. Not a Summers of any kind. At his core he's a good soldier, loyal to a fault, a stickler for freedom and equality, even if it means using extreme methods to achieve and preserve it. And like Maddie, now that he's stable, he thirsts for redemption.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    AXM has been cancelled and Warpath and Beast already have new homes. I doubt Alex’s team will continue past this current arc in the background

IDA in what you said about Alex. How is he often jobbed to make Scott look better? That’s a narrative that doesn’t really hold true. It doesn’t even hold true for Maddie. You are using that wrestling term wrong
    Alex maybe so, he is just mentioned or referred to as lesser in relationship to his brother way too often however Maddie was totally jobbed, character assassinated and editorially forced to job (lie down) in order for Jean Grey who wasn't in the most sympathetic light and Scott as the piece of crap husband.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Alex maybe so, he is just mentioned or referred to as lesser in relationship to his brother way too often however Maddie was totally jobbed, character assassinated and editorially forced to job (lie down) in order for Jean Grey who wasn't in the most sympathetic light and Scott as the piece of crap husband.
    You are using the term incorectly. To job is to have a character intentinoally made weaker and/or lose in order to make another stronger. Thats what happens in wrestling when they want they want to elevate someone getting a push by having a jobber used as fodder to boost up one's wins and make them feel like more of a threat.It happens in comics when a writer wants to make a new threat appear more powerful. E.g. Thor is often used for this in the Avengers books bc if a villian can defeat him, then that automatically validates them as a big threat. Jean and Maddie have only faced off with each other twice and both times Maddie was the written as being stronger. She didnt just lie down; she fought and fought hard and Jean did not defeat her either time. She may have been character assassinated but definitely not jobbed, which is something completely different. I also think saying its happened often is quite a stretch bc the last time they faced off was over 20 years ago.

On that same notion, Alex hasnt been jobbed to Cyclops. They actually havent fought all that much in the books and when it has happened, its primarily ended in a draw, not some major failure for Alex at Scott's expense. Again its been over 20 years since they've fought so thats not something thats happened often
    Last edited by Havok83; 11-13-2018 at 03:06 PM.

Ultimate Member

Well the two characters don't actually have to fight each other for one to be jobbed to the other, if say Alex was shown by other characters that knew Scott where they're obviously treating the two characters differently or talking say about how much they trust and admire Scott it could be viewed as putting down Alex to build up Scott...after all who are Alex's good friends...outside of Lorna I mean...if in his wedding with Lorna those years ago hadn't been able for Scott to be there not sure that he would have had a clear cut best man...and Alex was only Scott's best man because he's his brother...

As for Maddy her character has been destroyed to make Jean look better and to make Scott's terrible actions hidden or forgotten about as much as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Well the two characters don't actually have to fight each other for one to be jobbed to the other, if say Alex was shown by other characters that knew Scott where they're obviously treating the two characters differently or talking say about how much they trust and admire Scott it could be viewed as putting down Alex to build up Scott...after all who are Alex's good friends...outside of Lorna I mean...if in his wedding with Lorna those years ago hadn't been able for Scott to be there not sure that he would have had a clear cut best man...and Alex was only Scott's best man because he's his brother...

As for Maddy her character has been destroyed to make Jean look better and to make Scott's terrible actions hidden or forgotten about as much as possible...
    Thats not what jobbing is. You can say he's been thrown under the bus for Scott (which I dont think he has) but characters talking about how they trust and admire Scott more is not an example of jobbing.

IDA that Maddie was destroyed to make Jean look better. Jean didnt need that as she was an innocent party in that entire mess. Scott however did as he caught alot of heat for how X-Factor started

Ultimate Member

Doesn't matter what Jean needed or didn't need or if she were innocent or not, by attacking Maddy Marvel was doing it to boost Jean and push fans to want she and Scott back together more than they otherwise would have, help it along so to speak...

Doesn't matter what Jean needed or didn't need or if she were innocent or not, by attacking Maddy Marvel was doing it to boost Jean and push fans to want she and Scott back together more than they otherwise would have, help it along so to speak...
    You need to read the follow up to Inferno. It is not that difficult to catch up there is the Jay and Miles podcast if you can't get a physical copy of the issues. It was never about Jean it was about Scott. Why do you think Claremont has such a strong dislike for Scott. Jean wasn't a player she was a victim. That is why she wanted revenge against Sinister for Madelyne.

https://crapthatpissesthisoldmanoff....woman-scorned/
    I come when there's something to take but I never give anything back.
    I know what you want. But it is not here. It's gone and it will never ever come again...

If it didnt matter what Jean needed or didnt, then why would they need to boost her?

Ultimate Member

I never said that Jean wanted any of it done, it was all what Marvel did, the company not the character...they being Marvel wanted to boost Jean so they threw Maddy under the bus to do it, that and whitewash Scott's past actions...

I never said that Jean wanted any of it done, it was all what Marvel did, the company not the character...they being Marvel wanted to boost Jean so they threw Maddy under the bus to do it, that and whitewash Scott's past actions...
    I am just going to drop this here. You need to seperate opinion with what actually happened in the editorial room.

https://www.xplainthexmen.com/2016/0...t-price-glory/
    I know what you want. But it is not here. It's gone and it will never ever come again...

Quote Originally Posted by Izanami View Post
    I am just going to drop this here. You need to seperate opinion with what actually happened in the editorial room.

https://www.xplainthexmen.com/2016/0...t-price-glory/
    He’ll just ignore it

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    He’ll just ignore it
    At least I tried.