Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Oh I think that you're probably right. I just don't like it. It does seem like female characters start shedding more and more clothing the "farther" that they fall, but that's not the case with male characters. It's an annoying double-standard. And seriously, if the only way that they could come up with to show Maddie's evil is "let's have her start dressing like a stripper." Really, not only is that really lame, but it's also another irritating cliché and makes it harder to take her seriously as a genuine threat.

Ultimate Member

If male characters dressed the same they'd be thought gay, and for many years that was bad to very bad, besides I think that part of why guys that go bad put on more clothes is so that those clothes can then get all ripped and torn up and such as they fight the hero, then again over history in comics and video games the good girls often far more covered up than the bad girls, partially how you tell the difference, always kind of liked the good girls that dressed up bad so to speak...not necessarily to that level but...

BANNED

Maddie did not dress as a stripper when she was with the Hellfire Club and she was still bad. She didn't dress as a stripper when she created the first Sisterhood (she was the Red Queen). And upon her actual return and getting a physical body she did not dress as a stripper in the second Sisterhood story.

Claremont, Maddie's creator, had a S&M fetish (it's in all of his stories). The Hellfire Club or Clubs are real life S&M clubs. So this is more or less Claremont's fantasies being put on paper.
    Last edited by WallStreeter; 09-29-2014 at 09:16 AM.

Ultimate Member

That doesn't make it any less lame. Her current look is so much better imo.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Oh I think that you're probably right. I just don't like it. It does seem like female characters start shedding more and more clothing the "farther" that they fall, but that's not the case with male characters. It's an annoying double-standard. And seriously, if the only way that they could come up with to show Maddie's evil is "let's have her start dressing like a stripper." Really, not only is that really lame, but it's also another irritating cliché and makes it harder to take her seriously as a genuine threat.
    Having a more loose attitude and compared to when she was a good girl is often how heel turns go..show that flip in personality. From wife and loyalist to being more care free and without limits..especially if that character doesn't care about how other people see her from that point villain. And since she's a Jean Grey clone, going far away from being all covered up is that easy flip to see.

Ultimate Member

And there are ways to show that without resorting to ludicrous crap like that. I find that often to be a convenient excuse rather than a legitimate defense. "Showing that she's different from Jean" doesn't automatically equal "let me prance around practically naked." It's pure fanservice, nothing more and it's clichéd, lazy, and points to the double standard that comics unfortunately still have when it comes to the genders of their characters.

While I agree they should not resort to the skimpy outfits. For better or worse sex sells. If it's not Maddie original outfit. It's something else. I remember reading a issue of She-Hulk that opens with a few panels of the character in a white bikini. For no good reason than to show the character in a bikini. That kind of stuff in comics and outside is here to stay.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

Havok and Emma were right.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    And there are ways to show that without resorting to ludicrous crap like that. I find that often to be a convenient excuse rather than a legitimate defense. "Showing that she's different from Jean" doesn't automatically equal "let me prance around practically naked." It's pure fanservice, nothing more and it's clichéd, lazy, and points to the double standard that comics unfortunately still have when it comes to the genders of their characters.
    You really dont really dont remember what Havok wore during that storyline, right ?.

And you know, given that apparently Apocalypse is coming back and the x-men are becoming evil during AXIS, maybe she can be part of the X-men again.

BANNED

o

I appreciate Maddies good fashion sense as much as the next red-blooded male the_goblin_queen___madelyne_pryor_by_technonaut-d4w6k87.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Omegastorm View Post

o
    Thanks for posting. Damn Maddie was such a badass, even before Inferno.

Quote Originally Posted by PERRY777 View Post
    I appreciate Maddies good fashion sense as much as the next red-blooded male the_goblin_queen___madelyne_pryor_by_technonaut-d4w6k87.jpg
    I don't mind when women in comics dress provatively, as long as they aren't doing it to exploit themselves or look for attention. I believe characters like Namor, She-Hulk, Emma, and Maddie dress revealing because they are comfortable and confident in their bodies and fashion sense, not caring what others think.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Madelyn Pryor: Mother of the Year

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

I actually have no concerns for how much skin she shows. I just don't feel Xcomics don't need another psy redhead her powers are more fun when magic or that sweet power to turn humans into her loyal deamons. Let her embrace the Goblin Queen to torment Jean and Magik.Madelyne transforms the Greys I.jpg

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phoenix View Post
    I actually have no concerns for how much skin she shows. I just don't feel Xcomics don't need another psy redhead her powers are more fun when magic or that sweet power to turn humans into her loyal deamons. Let her embrace the Goblin Queen to torment Jean and Magik.Madelyne transforms the Greys I.jpg
    The only incarnation of Maddie that showed that much skin was the Goblin Queen. X-Man Maddie and Red Queen Maddie don't show skin. As for her being a red haired psi, it's who she is (along with her magic).