Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why does Marvel even bother with "lesser" titles?

As a reader (and fan) of some of the more B-list and below characters, I'm getting a little sick of being c-blocked time and again by limited series (Thunderstrike), or series that get cancelled in the first 18 issues because their sales are considered "too low" (New Warriors).

Why not just be honest with the readers and up front say that the days of the B-list and below are OVER, and if you aren't "movie bait", you ain't getting frak in terms of support from Marvel?

New Warriors has been canceled, that sucks where are fans going to go for their Scarlet Spider.

In answer to your question Marvel is a biz, they are in it to make money if a series doesn't sell then they will can it. Cold yes Fair 50/50 ideally Hell no.
    Truth is the best policy

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by VolcanikTiger86 View Post
    New Warriors has been canceled, that sucks where are fans going to go for their Scarlet Spider.
    Has this been confirmed anywhere? There's nothing on Chris Yost's twitter. I guess if nothing has been confirmed we will see when the solicits for November/December.

In answer to your question Marvel is a biz, they are in it to make money if a series doesn't sell then they will can it. Cold yes Fair 50/50 ideally Hell no.
    Know where you are coming from, and if multiple X and Avengers titles are what are selling, of course they are going to churn them out. Maybe Scarlet Spider should have been called 'Scarlet Avenger' and the New Warriors the 'X-Warriors'. Would have been worth an extra couple of thousand readers on each.

Sorry, left sarcasm mode running a bit too long then.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDemon View Post
    As a reader (and fan) of some of the more B-list and below characters, I'm getting a little sick of being c-blocked time and again by limited series (Thunderstrike), or series that get cancelled in the first 18 issues because their sales are considered "too low" (New Warriors).

Why not just be honest with the readers and up front say that the days of the B-list and below are OVER, and if you aren't "movie bait", you ain't getting frak in terms of support from Marvel?
    It's pretty tough to be B-list these days.

That being said, Moon Knight is B-list and his book is quite successful. Same with Ms Marvel (granted she's a new character but heck).

BANNED

Who says those books aren't getting support? Marvel has pulled out all the stops to try and push the Not-Nova book though its still failing spectacularly. Most new books that aren't relaunches of old established ones are going to fail, thats just a fact of life in the current industry but its not really the companies faults (well it is in a way because Marvel and DC to a lesser extent are killing the market for lesser books through pricing and double shipping but its not because they aren't pushing new books).
    Last edited by JediMindTrick; 07-23-2014 at 06:01 AM.

We never know what sales # equals a profit for each book.

Marvel does let certain books go w low dales for differing reasons..they let marvel adventures and movie type supplements and these almost always sell so low, Carol Danvers and a few others marvel just lets ride.

My point is that when Avengers makes 2 billion..its not unreasonable to reevaluate how books profit potential is treated. Letting books go below cancellation range more is something that could and should happen..its a treasure trove marvel and disney should embrace..." the house of ideas" its a huge part of what marvel is.

By that logic xmen would have been cancelled when it first started and never rebooted

BANNED

Why does Marvel even bother with "lesser" titles?
    i don't know why they bother, but i'm glad they do. i'd rather have these sporadic short runs than nothing at all... seeing how fringe characters are always my favorite.

if anything, we need more books for b- and c-listers. minis or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDemon View Post

Some of the answer is copyright renewal and customer awareness. (This is why we sometimes get Mini-series and Essential volumes of characters/names that wouldn't stand a chance in today's market. Like the Legion of Monsters series from 2007 and 2012)

With the Legion of Monsters, the title banner was only used for one issue of Marvel Premiere and an issue of a Marvel's b/w magazine series. However, in order to properly trademark a title banner, a company has to pay some money the first time it's used. During the 70's, many comic companies neglected to do this at times. They remove any lingering question about ownership by publishing a new product with the same title.

That answer is probably a little more Inside Baseball than you wanted, but there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chobbly View Post
    Has this been confirmed anywhere? There's nothing on Chris Yost's twitter. I guess if nothing has been confirmed we will see when the solicits for November/December.
    Not official I don’t think I heard there was a list of canceled marvel books on CBR don’t know where though or have a link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chobbly View Post
    Know where you are coming from, and if multiple X and Avengers titles are what are selling, of course they are going to churn them out. Maybe Scarlet Spider should have been called 'Scarlet Avenger' and the New Warriors the 'X-Warriors'. Would have been worth an extra couple of thousand readers on each.

Sorry, left sarcasm mode running a bit too long then.
    It’s cool been known to do it myself but that’s where Marvel’s Mindset is,.

Quote Originally Posted by crossbones View Post
    i don't know why they bother, but i'm glad they do. i'd rather have these sporadic short runs than nothing at all... seeing how fringe characters are always my favorite.

if anything, we need more books for b- and c-listers. minis or whatever.
    Couple of team books would help, I would like another daughters of the dragon teamup book.
    Truth is the best policy

Epsiodic shorter runs are the future of the non super main titles like Avengers.

Time to get with the times. The day sof seeing 600 issue comics is over at Marvel.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by JimShelley View Post
    Some of the answer is copyright renewal and customer awareness. (This is why we sometimes get Mini-series and Essential volumes of characters/names that wouldn't stand a chance in today's market. Like the Legion of Monsters series from 2007 and 2012)

With the Legion of Monsters, the title banner was only used for one issue of Marvel Premiere and an issue of a Marvel's b/w magazine series. However, in order to properly trademark a title banner, a company has to pay some money the first time it's used. During the 70's, many comic companies neglected to do this at times. They remove any lingering question about ownership by publishing a new product with the same title.

That answer is probably a little more Inside Baseball than you wanted, but there you go.
    It's the CHAMPIONS thing. Remember when Marvel lost the rights to the CHAMPIONS name because they stopped publishing a book named CHAMPIONS? Thats why were gonna get a 3D-Man book any day now. Any. Day. Personally, I'm looking forward to a Fin Fang Foom Team-Up monthly.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Epsiodic shorter runs are the future of the non super main titles like Avengers.

Time to get with the times. The day sof seeing 600 issue comics is over at Marvel.
    For non-mainstream titles, you could well be right. Shorter 'season' style runs would allow an effective relaunch every season, with scheduling advantages for both writers and artists.In the case of team titles you could use those season 'breaks' to swap out one team member for another, just to refresh the dynamics and prevent things getting stale, if needed.

Better that than losing a title I suppose.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

If that's the case then that sucks.

Extraordinary Member

When were C-List characters ever supported? I cannot believe those days ever existed.

Anyway, Marvel is only going to put out so many books and there are more C-Listers than titles. How can they justify losing money selling 10,000 copies of one C-Lister when they could replace that with a new one that could at least start over again around 30,000 - 40,000? This way all of the C-List fans eventually get to see their character show up at some point.