Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Amazing Member

King is just frustrating because while he has some of my favorite single Batman issues of all time, specifically Superfriends and parts of WOJAR... he also just meanders. Hell... after taking a break I even decided to check back in and actually LIKED the post wedding stuff to my complete surprise... then he screwed it all up with Nightwing getting shot. That was awful... mainly because it caused a major change in Nightwing's status quo, in a book that wasn't his own... AGAIN! And it made Nightwing essentially a prop to keep piling on Bruce. There have been other issues too, King's complete ignoring of Damian for one... and Bruce never quite acting right either... but I could forgive it because of the strength of some single issues.

Honestly though, after the wedding... I was done. I was never actually all that into Bruce and Selina, and King actually convinced me of it... built it up for a year... and dropped it in one of the worst issues I have ever read. He's just so damned uneven it drives me insane.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Every story does not need a PTSD and trauma motif. I know that writers have recurring themes in their stories but I think its high time for King to find some new themes.
    Nothing I've read by King so far has had PTSD.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

I am Suicide was pretty awful. His habit of repeated dialogue when dialogue is is biggest weakness is a massive turn off really. I did enjoy War of Jokes and Riddles a lot though but the volume after that was ZZZ and after #50 I am over King's run.

Overall think this will be one of the most forgettable Batman runs ever. Wouldn't surprise me if King himself forgets about this run in a decades time!
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I can't say because I stopped at the third issue, but it's because I want to pick it in trade. I have no problem with his writing in the issues that I read. I picked the FCBD issue of Joker finding out about the wedding issue and love it.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Pair Tom King with Scott McDaniels and watch how many readers are left (and I like Brubaker/McDaniel). Artists are a big draw here is my guess. When King missteps he missteps big time. Right now there is no good ongoing title starring Batman (Snyder is out of ideas, TEC under Tynion was fanfic), can't remember the last time that could be said. If Dan Slott would have written the same story Tynion wrote I'd probably have enjoyed it despite not being a fan of the family. Only thing I enjoyed from King's Batman top to bottom was Annual #2

Extraordinary Member

I enjoy it sincerely. As someone else has already mentioned, while I don't enjoy every arc, the arcs he does do well he hits a home run. Now Frank Miller's All-Star Batman & Robin...that's a book I enjoy ironically.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I thought I AM SUICIDE was dope. I want more of that, Batman with the tone of GRAYSON. The recent jury duty story was great too. Rooftops was solid.

I thought the War of Jokes and Riddles was the weakest part so far.

I like King's BATMAN a lot sometimes, you're bound to have a few misses in a lengthy run. I wonder how it'll all read as one big thing.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I just think that DC probably shouldn't have put Tom King on Batman so early in his career. With his more earlier, acclaimed work, such as Omega Men, and the Vision, even though I thought those stories had a lot of problem, you could see King did his damndest to make those comics as exceptional as possible. However, when he was on Batman, it felt like he thought he didn't have to try anymore. He mused to himself that he was at the top of the comic pyramid so there is no more reason to try to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    . . . Right now there is no good ongoing title starring Batman (Snyder is out of ideas, TEC under Tynion was fanfic), can't remember the last time that could be said. If Dan Slott would have written the same story Tynion wrote I'd probably have enjoyed it despite not being a fan of the family. Only thing I enjoyed from King's Batman top to bottom was Annual #2
    I would tend to agree with the statement "no good ongoing title starring Batman", however I haven't read what Bendis is doing with him in that Bat-comic book from Walmart. (Have no idea if/where there are any Walmarts around me that carry it; I haven't seen any sign of it at the two locations closest to me.)
    Also don't know if Tomasi will be any improvement when he takes over in Detective Comics, but I did not like his Batman and Robin run under the New52.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post
    It was always horrible. He cant write Batman. Or anyone in the Batman mythos. Would rather have some 90s lobdell writing the character.
    Most 90's Lobdell was actually pretty damn good...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post
    It was always horrible. He cant write Batman. Or anyone in the Batman mythos. Would rather have some 90s lobdell writing the character.
    Lodbell is pretty damn good. Is he Ernest Hemmingway? No, but his stories are dependable, fun, and sturdy. Sure, maybe his X Men wasconsulted, but that's X Men for you. I think the only really period of time Lodbell was worse than mediocre was his New Fifty Two output, but even Red Hood and his Teen Titans had it's moments.

Incredible Member

Lobdell is a good writer. His X-Men was awesome and his Red Hood has been amazing. I wish they’d give him Batman and boot King off the title.

It will be interesting to see how Tom King's run will be looked back upon in the future. I could see it be seen as one of the worst runs ever for the character, or one of the greatest.

Incredible Member

I definitely could see it as one of the worst. Can’t see this bunch of nonsense being seen as one of the best. Too much bullshit that doesn’t make sense and it’s an entire series with more holes in it than Swiss cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    I definitely could see it as one of the worst. Can’t see this bunch of nonsense being seen as one of the best. Too much bullshit that doesn’t make sense and it’s an entire series with more holes in it than Swiss cheese.
    It's a possibility, that people in retrospect would appreciate the innovative risks he taken on the series. For instance, his dialogue, his use of 9 grid panels.