Default The Killer Moth Appreciation Thread

Y'know, Killer Moth really should be a better, more respected villain, not a lame joke of a character.

The concept, as presented in his first appearance in Batman #63 (February-March 1951), is simple and straight-forward: a costumed character that does for crooks what Batman does for the honest citizens of Gotham (though, of course, there are some differences . . . like the fact that Killer Moth charges for his services).

But, alas, despite a few appearances in the 1950s, he never was quite the same when he appeared in the 1960s and 1970s.

Don't know if it was his . . . questionable . . . fashion sense or what, but after being taken down by the efforts of the neophyte Batgirl when Barbara Gordon first appeared in costume, he didn't really get any respect at DC for a while.

I love it when he's teamed-up with Firefly. They have a really great dynamic together.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Astonishing Member

AUTOIMAGES-MTN2816lg.jpg

Great looking action figure.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I love it when he's teamed-up with Firefly. They have a really great dynamic together.
    And here they are from BATGIRL: YEAR ONE. Sorry don't know the issue number.

KillerMothFirefly.jpg
    Last edited by signalman112; 10-12-2018 at 01:17 AM.

Killer Moth plotting his revenge on B:TB&TB.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mighty Member

The original Anti-Batman. It's a shame that he wasn't taken seriously after his first appearance (I'm sure it's due to his costume). However he, like The Eraser make for good "support villains" who are better off aiding others than having their own schemes. He is there to throw Batman off of the crook's tail. Unlike Wrath where the parallels are a bit TOO on the nose (what are the odds about his parents being murdered like Bruce's was by the opposite of a crook?), Moth clearly took inspiration from Batman. He saw an untapped market in the criminal underworld and he took it. Can you imagine if someone like Riddler hired Killer Moth and the Eraser to mess with his crime scenes (since he can't help himself) to REALLY mess with Bats?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Choice of Zsasz and maybe Grundy aside, having lesser villains create their own group and become actual threats had premise. Too bad Tynion just treated Killer Moth as a joke character, like many before or after him.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Love them too, especially in Knightfall

Killer_Moth.jpg

I thought Lemire and Sorrentino had an interesting take on him in their Green Arrow run, but it never went anywhere and he soon reverted back to being a joke villain when other writers used him, even if they kept the new design.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    Choice of Zsasz and maybe Grundy aside, having lesser villains create their own group and become actual threats had premise. Too bad Tynion just treated Killer Moth as a joke character, like many before or after him.
    He (Killer Moth) was quite deadly serious in "The Misfits", Batman: Shadow Of The Bat #7-9 (December 1992 - February 1993) as well as "Resurrection Night!" Batman #400 (October 1986) despite he was only part of an ensemble and "Crime Calls Killer Moth!", Detective Comics #486 (November 1979), before he was defeated by a shoe from Batgirl, but he was up to his back to basics, protection for criminals racket, and murdered all inventors of his then-latest costume and weaponry.

KillerMoth359.jpg

Killer Moth in action from DETECTIVE COMICS #359

so what happened to him, last I remember he made a deal with Neron and became a were-moth...

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so what happened to him, last I remember he made a deal with Neron and became a were-moth...

Don't know if that's still in play or not these days . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Don't know if that's still in play or not these days . . .
    I like this idea, just not with Killer Moth.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics