Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    Okay, so sorry for the delay. Was super busy this weekend. Now keep in mind that I'm hardly an expert here, and am using Marvel Unlimited as my guide. I've read through this entire batch of stuff just this summer, but believe me that there is so much crazy stuff that happens that I likely am missing some details that others can fill in. Also keep in mind that this is just for the "80's" with a touch of 70's stuff for intro. Also goes without saying that you should read the annuals that were released in these same eras. Not always related to the main storyline, but typically there are some key character development moments that happen within them. I also did not include the "Wolverine" side books, as they would require a whole mess of additional info IMO.

Giant Sized X-Men – 1975 – Arguably the best place to start for “modern era” X-Men because it’s the start of the original Claremont run. If you need a catch up for the OG 5, I recommend looking at X-Men Grand Design or the X-Men “Season One” Graphic Novel.

Uncanny 100-106 – This is where we see Jean’s struggles begin as Phoenix.

Uncanny 125-138 – This chunk of books is really important as you meet Hellfire Club, Dazzler, Kitty, and the Dark Phoenix Saga. All are important to the future of the book and well worth reading.

Uncanny 139-166 // Avengers Annual 10 // God Loves Man Kills Graphic Novel // “Marvel Graphic Novel #4 (New Mutants)” – Kitty joins the X-Men, which in the New Mutants world is important as she remains a huge influence to them through the years. Also where Days of Future Past happens, and we meet Rogue, the “New Brotherhood / Freedom Force,” The Brood, and The Starjammers.

New Mutants 1-12 // Uncanny 167-179 // – The New Mutants stories aren’t very impactful but good to read for motivations and character development and helps to follow the Uncanny stories where the Morlocks play a huge role. Rogue becomes an X-Man and follows Wolverine to Japan.

Magik 1-4 – Seems like an unimportant mini-series but is essential reading. What happens here is referenced often in future books even through today.

New Mutants 13-34 // Uncanny 180-199 // Secret World limited series // New Mutants Special Edition Vol 1 - New Mutants starts really getting entertaining and features some of the best artwork of the series. Demon Bear Saga and deeper conflicts with the Hellions happen here and the introductions Illyanna, Doug, and Warlock are all in here. X-Men sees Storm losing her powers and getting her iconic “punk” look, Rogue’s slow acceptance into the team, the impacts of the original Secret Wars, and the introduction of Rachel Summers.

New Mutants 35-48 // Uncanny 200-214 // X-Factor 1-11 // Secret Wars 2 limited series – Magneto’s Trial and aftermath, X-Factor is formed, the New Mutants and Hellion rivalry peaks, and the introduction of Apocalypse, Nimrod, and Legion happen here. Most notably the Mutant Massacre happens here and is the first real major New Mutants and X-Men crossover event. Some great storytelling in this batch.

New Mutants 48-61 // Uncanny 214-234 // X-Factor 11-26 // Fallen Angels 1-6 // X-Terminators 1-4 – The Fall of the Mutants happens here. Dazzler, Havok, Longshot, and Betsy join the X-Men and the team goes into hiding in the Outback. We meet Jubilee, Rusty, Skids, Rictor, Boom Boom, and the Fallen Angels. Don’t even get us started on Birdbrain.

Excalibur 1-8 (and the “Sword Is Drawn” introduction) // New Mutants 62-74 // Uncanny 235-224 // X-Factor 26-40 – The X-Terminators join the New Mutants and everyone thinks the X-Men are dead. Magik ramps up the scary and eventually the Inferno event comes along. One of the more interesting crossover events as so much is going on. X-Men vs X-Factor is a highlight there. Excalibur is the next major spin off and features Rachel, Kitty, and Nightcrawler in their adventures in the UK. The early part of this series is excellent and beautifully drawn and well worth reading.

New Mutants 75-100 // Uncanny 225-280 // X-Factor 40-70 // Excalibur 9-34 – X-Tinction Agenda and Muir Island Saga happens here. We meet Gambit, Cable, Domino, and Deadpool. Important era as Genosha starts becoming a regular topic/setting for the books. Excalibur go through the Cross-Time Caper and this ends Claremont’s run with the book.

X-Force 1 // X-Men 1 // Uncanny 281 // X-Factor 71 // Generation X 1– This is really the start of the “90’s” era X-Men books and would need it’s own thread. Once here, read the two X-Men titles together as there is a ton of crossover and often times you see characters shared with each book. X-Force eventually starts bleeding into the other X-lines the same way and is worth reading alongside the other two books. IMO X-Factor is much different in tone but is a fun read. Rarely do we see the teams interact so it’s not essential reading, but many adore this team and see is as worth keeping up with. Generation X comes along and becomes a bit of a “New Mutants” homage.
    Dude, no worries. This is already above and beyond. I love me some organization!

Quote Originally Posted by Sain View Post
    Dude, no worries. This is already above and beyond. I love me some organization!
    Hope it helps! I was kind of in your shoes around a year ago. I hadn't read X-Books since House of M and jumped in to the modern stuff and started going backwards. Like you, found it frustrating so I got a Marvel Unlimited sub and never looked back.

Part of the problem though is that MU doesn't always have "gap" issues, so you'll be reading and things skip 10 issues for no real reason. I suspect that it's because those issues weren't a part of a larger plot or crossover which were likely priorities and they haven't come back around to fill in the "monster of the week" issues.

The other problem is that they don't always tell you about a side series or random issue in some other book that is a good supplemental read for the story. The Avengers Annual #10 is a great example. If you don't read the Avengers you won't know until a year later in X-Men that some key plot points happen there and only because of a little footnote in one issue. It's worth it getting the app if only to be able to pull a random Hulk or Doctor Strange issue to get deeper lore if all you read is X-books.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Aside from 1982's Wolverine, there is more Claremont in his 1988 series, as well as a follow up arc written and drawn by Byrne. Larry Hama and Peter David also had some great stories to take the whole thing into the 90s.

That plays out in Fall of the Mutants, which has its own trade. I think it's my favorite Uncanny arc. It might not be bad to go in cold, but the subplots that built in went for about 20 or 30 issues prior. The epic collection, "The Gift" and the Mutant Massacre storylines are ideal prerequisites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The Fall of the Mutants storyline. Good stuff and it leads into my favourite story-arc: Inferno.
    Yeah I know it's during that time that they die in Dallas and are reborn invisible to machines. I was hoping someone would say something like: Wolverine found out he bought real estate in rural Queensland, or Storm just decided one day. There's plenty of places the X-Men could've gone to hide out. The Outback is a very specific and very unusual location, given the American centricity of the characters and stories.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Yeah I know it's during that time that they die in Dallas and are reborn invisible to machines. I was hoping someone would say something like: Wolverine found out he bought real estate in rural Queensland, or Storm just decided one day. There's plenty of places the X-Men could've gone to hide out. The Outback is a very specific and very unusual location, given the American centricity of the characters and stories.
    I'm pretty sure that once they were revived they interrupted a Reaver robbery or attack. Freeing Gateway and getting the Seige Perilous, they decide to operate out of the Reaver's Outback base so they aren't discovered by friends/family/the world.

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    Hope it helps! I was kind of in your shoes around a year ago. I hadn't read X-Books since House of M and jumped in to the modern stuff and started going backwards. Like you, found it frustrating so I got a Marvel Unlimited sub and never looked back.

Part of the problem though is that MU doesn't always have "gap" issues, so you'll be reading and things skip 10 issues for no real reason. I suspect that it's because those issues weren't a part of a larger plot or crossover which were likely priorities and they haven't come back around to fill in the "monster of the week" issues.

The other problem is that they don't always tell you about a side series or random issue in some other book that is a good supplemental read for the story. The Avengers Annual #10 is a great example. If you don't read the Avengers you won't know until a year later in X-Men that some key plot points happen there and only because of a little footnote in one issue. It's worth it getting the app if only to be able to pull a random Hulk or Doctor Strange issue to get deeper lore if all you read is X-books.
    Oh wow, that's fascinating. Just mutants going back in time for richer narratives. Yea, this helps for sure, I appreciate it. I'm gonna screencap it and just refer to it for the rest of these coming months.