Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Brainiac will lose the novelty factor if he first shows up in a Supergirl film. It wont feel as special the second time.
    After Krypton does Brainiac even have a novelty factor? It'd be great to see a villain on the big screen who isn't Lex or Zod, but with Brainiac having just made a great splash on the small screen I'm not sure they can come up with a take that is different enpugh without missing the whole point of the character. Plus I'd rather Supergirl get a debut opponent that doesn't feel like a retread of MOS with he fighting an alien threat to Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    After Krypton does Brainiac even have a novelty factor? It'd be great to see a villain on the big screen who isn't Lex or Zod, but with Brainiac having just made a great splash on the small screen I'm not sure they can come up with a take that is different enpugh without missing the whole point of the character. Plus I'd rather Supergirl get a debut opponent that doesn't feel like a retread of MOS with he fighting an alien threat to Earth.
    Most of the film audience doesn't watch the TV shows same for Marvel.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    "DC and WB owns all the characters and can use them how they see fit."

fans wanting to see Brainiac in a superman movie doesn't mean anything to them.
    They own the characters that are part of the Superman sub franchise. His name is the name of the franchise. Brainiac was introduced as his villain and has primarily fought him, not Supergirl who is in turn a (vital) supporting player but not an independent franchise of her own. She has the Superman logo slapped on her to sell and apparently has to mooch off his villains.

WB not caring about what the fans want has lead to overuse of Lex and Zod and an eagerness to just kill Superman with Doomsday in lackluster movies. Yeah they can do what they see fit, doesn't mean they are gonna produce anything good because they haven't movie wise for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Most of the film audience doesn't watch the TV shows same for Marvel.
    and most film audience probably won't care that Brainiac will appear in Supergirl first, only fans of the comics do. (IMO)

and most film audience probably won't care that Brainiac will appear in Supergirl first, only fans of the comics do. (IMO)
    They also wouldn't care if Supergirl fought one of her own villains in a movie.

When you have a built in audience ready to see a film and you choose to do something to anger a portion of them when it doesn't need to happen and you can choose another villain well IMO

When you have a built in audience ready to see a film and you choose to do something to anger a portion of them when it doesn't need to happen and you can choose another villain well IMO

Yep. They need to win back the trust and interest of casuals AND fans. Potentially splitting the fan base even further is very bad. There is any number of ways they could do this, even a Supergirl movie before any more Superman while they plan what to do with him, but the avenue that is being framed doesn't instill a sense of trust at all. Given how reactionary this studio is with their current films though, it may not be surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Its Superman's franchise. Of course he owns Brainiac. He fights him far more often than Supergirl does. She's an extension of the franchise like Lois, Jimmy and Krypto are, not the main. Same as the Bat Family with Batman.

Fans have wanted to see Brainiac in a movie for years. Them not being eager to use him doesn't mean anything. What they did use didn't amount to much for a multitude of reasons.
    QFT.

DC/WB can do what they want, of course. And apparently, judging by most of their recent live-action offerings, what DC/WB really wants to do is continue eating Marvel/Disney's dust.

Still highly doubt a SUPERGIRL feature film will even get past the development hell stage because: 1. you can already watch her tv show for free, and 2. this proposed movie is going to easily cost 9 figures to produce.

They don't want to spend that money for Superman, then I doubt they want to spend it on Supergirl either.

Guess it depends on how big that portion is, compared to the general audience.

And while so far its just speculation, that Brainiac will be the main antagonist for the Supergirl script (speculation), it doesn't make sense for the studio to scrap the idea because some fans will be upset.

And while so far its just speculation, that Brainiac will be the main antagonist for the Supergirl script (speculation), it doesn't make sense for the studio to scrap the idea because some fans will be upset.
    You underestimate the power of the hardcore fans. WB are aware of the fans complains, hence the Superman movie situation right now. There is too big a division due to WB's poor leadership. It doesn't seem to be getting better. If it was, they'd know fans have been clamoring for Superman/Brainiac film DECADES ago.

Supergirl is not an strong character on her own, because she keeps stealing Superman characters, villains and storylines way too much. I don't have respect for that. Don't expect me to show up to her movie at all if this continues.

I've been waiting since I found out the computer in Superman III was once in an early draft going to be Brainiac so yeah I've been waiting for Brainiac decades and it does irk me if the first time we see him on the big screen was a Supergirl over Superman who is his primary nemesis. Superman has a nice rogues gallery but not a ton of A-Listers and he shouldn't lose one of his biggest to his cousin.
    agreed. I simply can't accept that happily. I won't be quiet. Another case of just how reactionary and clueless WB can be. They don't seem to learn from their mistakes.

Change it to Indigo/Brainiac 8 saying they're a herald like Silver Surfer and save Brainiac for Superman easy peasy rewrite.

Again, they need to please as much of the audience as feasibly possible, casuals and diehards alike. That's how these movies manage to be successful. There are any number of things they can do with a Supergirl movie, she has her own villains and the MCU has managed to do more with less. If the film is good and if Supergirl is as much of a draw as we think she is, they don't need Brainiac. They shouldn't scrap the idea for fear of upsetting fanboys, but they shouldn't underestimate how bad a fandom split could hurt them either when they already have the Superman fanbase pissed off at them enough as it is. Dragging Supergirl into this in such a way isn't fair to her either.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    You underestimate the power of the hardcore fans. WB are aware of the fans complains, hence the Superman movie situation right now. There is too big a division due to WB's poor leadership. It doesn't seem to be getting better. If it was, they'd know fans have been clamoring for Superman/Brainiac film DECADES ago.
    A part of me wonders if they chose Brainiac specifically to give to Supergirl because they know the fandom wants him in a new Superman movie, and Cavill was campaigning for him too. It is most likely paranoia on my part, but it seems kind of...spiteful on their end.

Supergirl is not an strong character on her own, because she keeps stealing Superman characters, villains and storylines way too much. I don't have respect for that. Don't expect me to show up to her movie at all if this continues.

The annoying thing is, she doesn't even really have to. A lot of her stuff is inevitably going to overlap with Clark's because of their close connection, but she has plenty of her own sub-ideas within the various aspects of the Superman mythos. Argo City and its situation are completely hers. If they want a Brainiac connection, they already have villains like her mechanized father and Indigo sitting right there. She doesn't have to borrow Zod or Faora too much when she has her own Kryptonian villains like Lesla-Lar and Black Flame that could use some attention. Her connection to the larger Doomsday plot is the World Killers, villains who tie into his origin and are ones she fights exclusively.

Or use Reactron, Satan Girl, Tycho or even Orlando's surprisingly decent revamp of Selena the witch.

The people who are angry about this are a very insignificant portion of the audience.

The guys who made the movie that image is from care more about casuals than fans too.

I think you're overestimating the power of hardcore fans. The MCU has done a number of things that have pissed off hardcore fans yet is still a franchise juggernaut. Even the Wonder Woman movie, the most liked of the DCEU films, still made the divisive decision to use her New 52 demigod origin. And as much as I personally disliked that decision (which did not stop me from liking the movie btw) it didn't affect the film's reception to the general audience.

Studios will choose casuals over hardcore fans every single time. If they can please both (which is nigh impossible), great, but the former will be of more priority.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-21-2018 at 07:25 AM.

I hear Kara also steals Clark's weakness to Kryptonite, his powers, his blue and red motif, and the "S" on his chest too! The absolute nerve that his first cousin (whom he often treats as a younger sister) that shares much of his history and has an actual history on Krypton, use some of the villains that have targeted her before as well!

Honestly, I just see this as much ado about nothing.