Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remender went from "the next big writer" to leaving so fast that a lot of his stuff got left hanging
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Maybe he was "next big writer" to fans of his on the internet but Marvel never treated him as much. Marvel didn't deserve him.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Maybe he was "next big writer" to fans of his on the internet but Marvel never treated him as much. Marvel didn't deserve him.
    How so?

He rose up the ranks slowly, writing more and more popular characters.

ended up getting the first Avengers/Xmen team and basically allowed to do whatever he wanted with them. Also got Captain America book, and got the do the next event AXIS.

Are you talking behind the scenes stuff or what?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Yeah, Remender leaving definitely changed things. I'd love to know what he had planned because pretty much everything he set up was changed or forgotten.

I loved Spencer's controversial run but I'll always be curious as to what Remender's version of the Hydra storyline was going to be.

Remender's run now seems kind of like a weird bump in the road for Cap but I expect that one of these days, someone who really dug that run will come on and pick up some of its threads and characters.
    My theory is that he wanted either Ian or Sam as Cap for his story to work but the higher-ups voted on Sam due to movies. So it would've been Captain Falcon and Nomad against Jet's and Sharon's HYDRA with a plot cross-over with his Uncanny Avengers but Captain America 3: Civil War was coming up in cinemas and bringing Steve back early and Civil War II would've definitely fuck up his plans since he's a long-burn writer so he dipped.

I'm more concerned how an X-Men book with him would've worked.

BANNED

I don't know about that. He did quite well for himself at Marvel and it seems like Marvel was very happy to assign him to prominent books.

Why he left, who knows? Could have been burn out (I always felt that Axis pretty much broke him), could have been internal politics (I wonder if Alonso prompted more than a few high profile departures during his time) or it could just be that he wanted to double down on his creator-owned stuff.

Whatever the case, the assignments he got from Marvel were always plum material so in that regard he wasn't mistreated or undervalued.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    How so?

He rose up the ranks slowly, writing more and more popular characters.

ended up getting the first Avengers/Xmen team and basically allowed to do whatever he wanted with them. Also got Captain America book, and got the do the next event AXIS.

Are you talking behind the scenes stuff or what?
    His books were well received but they were always over-shadowed by other projects.

Venom was popular but it got over-shadowed by Slott's Spider-Man.
    Secret Avengers got over-shadowed by Bendis' Avengers
    Uncanny Avengers was getting over-shadowed by Hickman's 3 - 4 Avenger books a month shenanigans and Bendis' X-Men.
    Yeah, he got AXIS but that got quickly knocked over by Time Runs Out.

BANNED

My theory is that he wanted either Ian or Sam as Cap for his story to work but the higher-ups voted on Sam due to movies. So it would've been Captain Falcon and Nomad against Jet's and Sharon's HYDRA with a plot cross-over with his Uncanny Avengers but Captain America 3: Civil War was coming up in cinemas and bringing Steve back early and Civil War II would've definitely fuck up his plans since he's a long-burn writer so he dipped.
    Well, I think putting too much weight on how much the movies influence comics is always a tricky business.

I imagine that Remender's Hydra story would have definitely led to a line-wide event, though, with every section of the MU discovering traitors in their midst.

I just think it would have been more traditional good guys vs bad guys scenario with a shocking reveal or two.

Not sure I quite understood the reference to Jet and Sharon’s Hydra here. Was Remender definitely planning on having a Dimension Z Sharon betray everyone? Definitely went from odd to absurd. Just re read Trial, Gulag, and Fear altogether ... morphing into Winter Soldier and Vol 6 of Cap. Pretty seemless run into those newer volumes. Much bumpier going from Remender to Spencer by way of Secret Wars. Especially given the what 8 month jump ahead from Hickman’s finale into Sam’s Cap by Spencer. It was head spinning.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tliscord View Post
    Yes I followed that Battleworld story and enjoyed it. I just can’t figure out how Hickman’s reboot thing works into the present continuity. Maybe I struggle too hard with this. I enjoyed Hickman’s arc particularly his Fantastic Four/ Dr Doom main story. The rest of Secret Wars was a mash up that has left me in continuity limbo.
    I'm in the middle of Secret Wars at the moment. From what I've heard, quite a few readers have been left in continuity limbo. Not much has been really explained. It hasn't helped that Hickman left directly afterwards and others such as Bendis is no longer around whom I believed left quite a few hints in the series he wrote such as Jessica Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by tliscord View Post
    Not sure I quite understood the reference to Jet and Sharon’s Hydra here. Was Remender definitely planning on having a Dimension Z Sharon betray everyone? Definitely went from odd to absurd. Just re read Trial, Gulag, and Fear altogether ... morphing into Winter Soldier and Vol 6 of Cap. Pretty seemless run into those newer volumes. Much bumpier going from Remender to Spencer by way of Secret Wars. Especially given the what 8 month jump ahead from Hickman’s finale into Sam’s Cap by Spencer. It was head spinning.
    Yeah, I'm a bit lost with that Sharon Hydra reference. I read all of Remender's penned Cap work and didn't pick that up or did I forgot/miss something?

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I don't know about that. He did quite well for himself at Marvel and it seems like Marvel was very happy to assign him to prominent books.

Why he left, who knows? Could have been burn out (I always felt that Axis pretty much broke him), could have been internal politics (I wonder if Alonso prompted more than a few high profile departures during his time) or it could just be that he wanted to double down on his creator-owned stuff.

Whatever the case, the assignments he got from Marvel were always plum material so in that regard he wasn't mistreated or undervalued.
    I agree. Remender got an Avengers book, Captain America and a "big" event. He was very well taken care of and trusted with a lot. I don't think AXIS did him any favours.

His books were well received but they were always over-shadowed by other projects.

Venom was popular but it got over-shadowed by Slott's Spider-Man.
    Secret Avengers got over-shadowed by Bendis' Avengers
    Uncanny Avengers was getting over-shadowed by Hickman's 3 - 4 Avenger books a month shenanigans and Bendis' X-Men.
    Yeah, he got AXIS but that got quickly knocked over by Time Runs Out.
    Not all of his books were well received. AXIS was generally panned. Uncanny Avengers started off well hut just got silly and received its fair share of criticism. I disliked it towards the end and couldn't wait to finish it. He was also prerry bad with continuity and didn't always respect the history of certain characters. Captain Britain in Secret Avengers is a good example. He carried out quite the character assassination on Brian Braddock.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I agree. Remender got an Avengers book, Captain America and a "big" event. He was very well taken care of and trusted with a lot. I don't think AXIS did him any favours.

Not all of his books were well received. AXIS was generally panned. Uncanny Avengers started off well hut just got silly and received its fair share of criticism. I disliked it towards the end and couldn't wait to finish it. He was also prerry bad with continuity and didn't always respect the history of certain characters. Captain Britain in Secret Avengers is a good example. He carried out quite the character assassination on Brian Braddock.
    I lost interest in his Secret Avengers fairly quickly but stayed with the series until the bitter end. Venom, Hawkeye, Brian all seemed a poor mix ... losing John Steel to that series was wasteful given his potential. Max Fury and he could be teaming up even now causing Cap considerable issues.

Bring her back as the Falcon's girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    We last saw him in Battleworld. His last appearance was at the end of the Hail Hydra mini during Secret Wars. Maybe he ended up universally displaced? In any case, he's gone.
    I still think Ian is the new Kraken. it's the only thing that makes sense to me. we only got to see Kraken (unhelmeted) from behind. but he has the same height, build, and hair as Ian. Madame Hydra said that she was only ok with the mystery character being the new Kraken because he was "family." people assumed that it meant that he was related to the old Kraken. I thought it was a nod to him being Steve's surrogate son. plus, the mystery character asked Madame Hydra if "he" knew about him. I think the implication was that he was asking about Steve Rogers; the one who had different memories.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 10-18-2018 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Bring her back as the Falcon's girlfriend.
    isn't he with Misty?