Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

I finally get what people mean when they complain a hero or team is "over-powered" or "over-powerful."

This roster is certainly those things! The only upgrades I could see in terms of power/skill set would be to swap out Green Arrow for Shazam and to add Lex Luthor to the team. Then you'd have the world's 4 smartest people (instead of only 3) and Shazam is almost the only way to add even more power to this roster.

You've got three Kryptonians, a Martian who is essentially Kryptonian-plus wrt powers, the world's mightiest Amazon, the fastest man alive, the King of the Seven Seas, and the three smartest heroes in the DCU in Mr. Terrific, Batman, and the Atom. Plus Cyborg, upgraded immensely with his Fifth World/Mother Box tech. And, um, a really good archer.

If you were going for most powerful team of all time, I think you found it.

In this run, I would predict each issue would end with Green Arrow lecturing the others on ignoring earth-bound, street-level problems and quitting the team, much in the way Kenny used to die in every episode of South Park.

Do NOT tell Amazo!
    Last edited by BatmanJones; 10-18-2018 at 05:58 PM.

Wonder Woman
    Zatanna
    Vixen
    Black Canary
    Mera
    Martain Manhunter
    Aquaman
    Firestorm
    Red Tornado
    Black Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Oops! That's what I get for not looking at every post. Shame on me. Sorry to hit on a sensitive subject--but I figured PS had to have some official standing in the JLA because he participated in the 12 Trials of Wonder Woman and got to vote on her reinstatement as an active Justice Leaguer.
    Not at all a sensitive subject, on my end anyway. Major schooled me as he often does and I enjoyed and appreciated it. I think it's a really fun topic since there's no definitive answer and that's really odd given how strict membership was otherwise for all of Vol. 1.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    does the satellite justice league reach 12? because that would be my list...

(superman, batman, green lantern (hal), flash (barry), wonder woman, green arrow, black canary, hawkman, hawkwoman, zatanna, elongated man, red tornado... who am i missing?)
    A favorite topic of mine since I obsessed on the membership as a child. The Satellite League had 16 all told, unless you include Phantom Stranger, in which case it's 17. (See @MajorHoy's recent post for links to prior discussion of his membership with fun pics to boot!)

"Who am I missing?"

You're missing Martian Manhunter and Aquaman (both founders); Zatanna and Firestorm (the last two members to join the Satellite era JLA); and possibly The Phantom Stranger.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Superman, Batman & Wonder Woman.

The Flash (I don't care who, as I think both Barry or Wally bring fun stuff to the table, but, if pressed, I'd go with Barry because of his science background and the fact that Wally's humor has now become part of his character)

Green Lantern (all of 'em rotating through from mission to mission depending on their availability, but with John Stewart & Hal Jordan being the most frequent)

Aquaman, because finally they've figured out how to blend Peter David's gruff badass take with the classic Silver Age version.

Martian Manhunter, because he's the best all-purpose member in terms of his telepathy and shape-changing.

Zatanna, because I like magic and fishnets.

Green Arrow, because Ollie works best for me as the loudmouth &^$hole among the World's Greatest Heroes.

Black Canary, because I like badasses and fishnets.

Hawkgirl, because the reincarnation aspect works great and her visual is awesome.

Cyborg, because he's got a great hook as the ultimate tech guy.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    Wonder Woman
    Zatanna
    Vixen
    Black Canary
    Mera
    Martain Manhunter
    Aquaman
    Firestorm
    Red Tornado
    Black Lightning
    I like that line up! Some old classics like Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter and Aquaman, some satellite-era like Black Canary, Zatanna, Firestorm and Red Tornado, and a few from the later generations like Mera, Vixen and Black Lightning.

If I were to make a League lineup that had only non-Satellite era Leaguers, Vixen and Black Lightning would totally be on it, along with Booster Gold, Plastic Man, Element Woman and a few others.

Astonishing Member

Superman
    Nightwing
    Black Canary
    Green Arrow- Ollie
    John Stewart- Gl
    Jessee Quick
    Wonder Woman
    Atom- Ray
    Jason Blood
    Aquaman- as per Morrison's Jla
    Hawkman
    Hawkgirl

Superman
    Batman
    Wonder Woman
    Flash (Wally West)
    Green Lantern (John Stewart)
    Martian Manhunter
    Aquaman
    Zatanna
    Plastic-Man
    Vixen
    Black Canary
    Rotating Member (Green Arrow, Atom, Shazam, Hawkgirl, Red Tornado, and Cyborg who I prefer on Titans as a main member).

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    1. Batman
    2. Martian Manhunter
    3. Green Lantern (John Stewart)
    4. Black Lightning
    5. The Ray
    6. Vixen
    7. Fire
    8. Power Girl
    9. Dr.Light (Kimiyo Hoshi)
    10. Hawkgirl

I like doing stuff like this . Couldn't decide on the last two members.
    1. Batman
    2. Martian Manhunter
    3. Green Lantern (John Stewart)
    4. Black Lightning
    5. The Ray
    6. Flash (Wally West)
    7. Vixen
    8. Fire
    9. Power Girl
    10. Dr.Light (Kimiyo Hoshi)
    11. Hawkgirl
    12. Mera

Okay I finished it. Really want Black Canary and Wonder Woman somewhere here but eh.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    A favorite topic of mine since I obsessed on the membership as a child. The Satellite League had 16 all told, unless you include Phantom Stranger, in which case it's 17. (See @MajorHoy's recent post for links to prior discussion of his membership with fun pics to boot!)

"Who am I missing?"

You're missing Martian Manhunter and Aquaman (both founders); Zatanna and Firestorm (the last two members to join the Satellite era JLA); and possibly The Phantom Stranger.
    it's embarrassing that i forgot them.

but yeah, i'd include them in my perfect team, which means i've went over the limit of 12 members.

Retired

A rainy day project would be to go through all the old letter columns where readers would discuss the membership and who should be in and who should be out.

Superman
    Batman
    Wonder Woman
    Flash
    Green Lantern
    Aquaman
    Martian Manhunter
    Black Lightning
    Shazam
    Green Arrow
    Black Canary
    Vixen

I re-read Steve Englehart's first JLA story last night. It's a backup to a Cary Bates story in JLA #139 though Englehart takes over the book on #140. When I saw the roster at the beginning of the story I thought of this thread because Englehart's very first JLA roster was 11 or 12 characters, like the fantasy lineups we've been discussing here. Of course there's no diversity at all in Englehart's first JLA roster, and actually there's an unusual amount of really unfortunate misogyny in this story. Still, Englehart was one of the strongest writers during the Satellite era and this feels like his fantasy lineup to me since it's the first he chose to write about. Then again, it's possible this was just the full membership at this point. (*Though Martian Manhunter is considered by many contemporary readers to be the heart of the JL(A) he was gone on a mission to rebuild Mars for many issues around this era.)

Here's how they're listed at the beginning of the story:

ROLL CALL
    SUPERMAN
    BATMAN
    WONDER WOMAN
    FLASH
    GREEN LANTERN
    GREEN ARROW
    BLACK CANARY
    HAWKMAN
    AQUAMAN
    ATOM
    ELONGATED MAN
    and--?

Of course, the 12th member(?), whose membership is in question going back a few pages in this thread, is The Phantom Stranger.

Thought MajorHoy might enjoy this bit of trivia which is more evidence that Steve Englehart considered Phantom Stranger a member though Wein didn't.

Retired

J'Onn toook his leave of absence from the Justice League of America in 1969 and didn't return to active duty until 1984--although he made a few cameos and guest appearances in the interim. He was mostly too busy exploring space for his lost people and then, once having found them, helping in the founding of New Mars.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    A rainy day project would be to go through all the old letter columns where readers would discuss the membership and who should be in and who should be out.
    JLA Mailroom Header also made a nice record of the evolving team - http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/156/