Default Shigeo Kageyama (Mob Psycho 100) vs Mikoto Misaka (A Certain Magical Index)

Who takes this?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I know Shigeo well but I don't know Mikoto.

Feats?

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I know Shigeo well but I don't know Mikoto.

Feats?
    Mikoto Misaka - Railgun. Has psychic control over electricity and electromagnetism. Her best weapon is the railgun, which fires off metal (usually coins) at 2307.2 mph. Powerful enough to destroy buildings and other structures. She can also turn anything with a high iron content, into weapons. She can destroy technology, and black out a city. Some other things as well.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Also her control of electricity is precise enough that basically no electronic security can keep her from essentially telepathically overriding it and controlling anything with a current, making her more or less a high end technomancer. IIRC, she took out multiple clone facilities more or less from a telephone. She recently reprogrammed a bunch of security bots before entering an anti-AIM field to have them show up and assist her later when she wouldn't be able to use her powers.

This thread has a few good feats listed for her https://community.cbr.com/showthread...Shoto-Todoroki

Edit: I feel like Kuroko should count as part of Misaka's powerset, like having the "mysterious stranger" perk in Fallout, except here it's "teleporting stalker."
    Last edited by BitVyper; 10-12-2018 at 03:53 PM.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

What percent does Mob start at?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    What percent does Mob start at?
    Based on what I'm seeing in the other thread, he's going to need to be either at or approaching 100% in order to survive this. Misaka is apparently super sonic in terms of reaction speed and has ridiculous levels of firepower.

Mob has pretty epic shields though. His barrier is really difficult to crack at his peak.

Yeah, echoing Morgan, what percentage are we granting Mob as a starter?

As far as shields go, didn't either one of the Misaka clones or Misaka herself try to beat Accelerator by using her power to do some bullshit and deprive him of oxygen? I THINK I remember that, but it'd be nice if someone could verify.

She's also immune to telepathy, for what it's worth. Her electromagnetic field blocks it. She's got Daredevil-style radar sense too. And she can hijack her own muscles if she's paralyzed. The difference between Level 4 and Level 5 seems to be a lot about having very acute control and visualisation ability. All of this stuff )except the telepathy immunity which is passive) is possible because Misaka can very rapidly build mental constructs for the things that she does. This is why her Railgun, despite not really being the flashiest expression of her power, is a more significant indicator of her ability than just throwing a lot of lightning around.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 10-13-2018 at 07:01 AM.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Based on what I'm seeing in the other thread, he's going to need to be either at or approaching 100% in order to survive this. Misaka is apparently super sonic in terms of reaction speed and has ridiculous levels of firepower.

Mob has pretty epic shields though. His barrier is really difficult to crack at his peak.

Yeah, echoing Morgan, what percentage are we granting Mob as a starter?
    I think one could make a case that 100 should be his default assumption. The closest example of a powerset linked to his emotional and mental state which varies day to day would be the Sentry, and we assume Bob is always on a good day where he operates at top capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I think one could make a case that 100 should be his default assumption. The closest example of a powerset linked to his emotional and mental state which varies day to day would be the Sentry, and we assume Bob is always on a good day where he operates at top capacity.
    I've reading through Mob Psycho 100 and have a few observations.

1) The difference between Shigeo at 0 - 99% and him at 100% is absolutely enormous. Standard Shigeo is already something of a monster in terms of his raw psychic power but he's an ant compared to himself at 100%. For example; Shigeo at >100% was having real trouble with Serizawa and Shou's father when he fought them. The second he went to 100% he blew Serizawa utterly out of the water and matched and exceeded Shou's dad (who is the second most powerful esper in the series behind Mob himself)

2) Mob's 100% has variations in terms of potency depending on what emotion he is feeling most strongly at the time. As I recall, Courage is the most combat optimised so we'll be likely thinking of that.

3) Mob actually demonstrated huge capacities in terms of energy absorption. He was able to absorb psychic energy, life energy, lightning and so on. Based on the logic of the series he should be able to consume spirits as well but that's a little conjectural.

4) Inside of Mob there is also a level beyond 100% which is ???%. This form is apparently the rawest expression of Mob's power. When trapped in a psychic astral battle with Mogami, Mob lost to him utterly in his base form and was mentally enslaved for six months (subjective astral time), with a reminder of the real world he went to 100% Courage, broke free and was able to battle Mogami in his personal astral dimension to a reasonable degree and was holding his own. However, Mogami was too powerful and it tried to destroy Mob utterly. When he broke down Mob's psychic persona far enough he suddenly ran into ???% which utterly obliterated him and destroyed the astral dimension thing they were in. So, Mob does technically have a trump card in the back.

The question remains one of speed. Mikasa seems a lot faster and Mob... doesn't... technically have auto shields but if he's starting at 100% then he pretty much does have auto shields because that form specifically entails his power already being in action and his barrier is almost universally always up. If Mob has his shields up and he's at 100% then I don't think Mikasa can breach his stuff. Shou's father literally tried hitting him with like... 20 odd skyscrapers at once and a massive lightning storm and he couldn't breach his shield. Mob just absorbed the energy and rocked through the attacks with ease.

If it's standard Mob then she just fries him or something before he can react.

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    As far as shields go, didn't either one of the Misaka clones or Misaka herself try to beat Accelerator by using her power to do some bullshit and deprive him of oxygen? I THINK I remember that, but it'd be nice if someone could verify.
    She was using electricity to change do something to the oxygen, hoping to suffocate him. Didn't work in time, but I'm pretty sure it happened.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

Yeah I remember now, thanks. Ultimately the only reason it didn’t work is because of how broken Accelerator is, so the theory is still pretty sound as a shield bypass.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

That was a clone with weaker power than the original who was converting O2 to Ozone so that he would be less likely like to realize what was happening before it was too late.

Finished my read through of Mob Psycho 100. One final thing to note, ???% also has an ambient energy absorption field that drains any psychic energy in like a city block radius.

I stand by my assessment above though: Mikasa destroys 1-99% Mob, beats 100% like... 6/10 and loses to ???% hard.

???% would be pretty bad news for Misaka if that's the case, as psionics are basically how her powers work, and while she's been demonstrated to be able to function at all in an AIM-jamming field, she loses her control and the bulk of her power, and she's pretty much reduced to lashing out with raw lightning strikes.