Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Would you welcome Thor returning to his classic Kirby costume?

A good many years have passed since Thor has been regularly seen in his classic, Jack Kirby-designed costume in the comics. Would you welcome a return by Thor to his classic look, or are you good with his present portrayal?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Last edited by Buried Alien; 10-13-2018 at 12:27 AM.
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Compared to the grizzled beard and ostentatious gold hammer and arm he's currently sporting? Absolutely.

Heck, maybe going back to his old look would lead to him being written more like himself again, assuming they don't do what Aaron did in that Generations issue where Thor sported his classic look but was still written as a frat boy viking.

I kinda like the gold arm although the gold hammer disappointed me

Extraordinary Member

That is by far his best costume in my opinion, so yes.

What I'd like to see them do is what they did with Hawkeye in "Avengers: No Surrender," where he returns to the classic costume temporarily, for a special occasion or something. It's hard for them to get away with reviving the classic costumes on a permanent basis, but that doesn't mean they can't bring it back sometimes as fan service.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    I kinda like the gold arm although the gold hammer disappointed me
    The gold arm is just so distracting. Only a few artists with the right colorists and inkers can make it work in my opinion, and that goes for Thor's current look in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    That is by far his best costume in my opinion, so yes.

What I'd like to see them do is what they did with Hawkeye in "Avengers: No Surrender," where he returns to the classic costume temporarily, for a special occasion or something. It's hard for them to get away with reviving the classic costumes on a permanent basis, but that doesn't mean they can't bring it back sometimes as fan service.
    Thor at least has more reason to wear his classic look then others since it's his royal uniform as a Prince of Asgard, although for all we know that's still what his modern costumes are supposed to be.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

By Odins beard, no. I have no appreciation for the classics to be honest. I much prefer the muted/armoured look of a Coipel or Ribic.

No thanks. The old Kirby superhero costume just doesn't age very well in my opinion, especially those yellow boots. I like the more armored looking uniforms that Thor has been using for a while now.

Mighty Member

No. i like the classics, but this costume is too cheesy, and has not aged very well.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

I'm sorry but I'm really loving the beard. I wouldn't mind something Kirby inspired, I always love a nice throwback, but ultimately I like seeing new costumes for most heroes. There are only a very select few characters that I think should never stray from their classic designs.

Fantastic Member

I love the current look I think the Kirby design is a bit dated, to be honest.

I should preface this by saying my ideal Thor look is the JMS armor if we're going for something modern.
    Quote Originally Posted by VGCinema View Post
    I'm sorry but I'm really loving the beard. I wouldn't mind something Kirby inspired, I always love a nice throwback, but ultimately I like seeing new costumes for most heroes. There are only a very select few characters that I think should never stray from their classic designs.
    I'm not against Thor with a beard but there are a few distinct periods or artists who have made it work.

I'm not sure current Thor is going to be one of them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I should preface this by saying my ideal Thor look is the JMS armor if we're going for something modern.
    That's my favorite Thor look.

Kinda liked his unworthy look,
    A2643CBD-A462-4C83-B54F-5E4A7FE170A2.jpg

still, was always partial to that silly winged helmet too

Quote Originally Posted by tliscord View Post
    Kinda liked his unworthy look,
    A2643CBD-A462-4C83-B54F-5E4A7FE170A2.jpg

still, was always partial to that silly winged helmet too
    It's hard for me to accept anything related to the "Odinson," if only because it was deliberately meant to emphasize Thor not really being Thor.

I love the classic version. In fact, it was one of the few things I enjoyed from the Avengers: EMH cartoon series.

Last edited by K7P5V; 12-23-2021 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.