Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Star Wars: Aftermath Writer Chuck Wendig Fired By Marvel Over Offensive Tweets

Woah, Marvel have fired Chuck Wendig after reading some angry tweets he made towards critics of his work on Star Wars: Aftermath. Star Wars: Shadow of Vader#4 and 5 will need a new writer

https://www.newsarama.com/42326-chuc...-of-vader.html

Wasn't a huge fan of the first Aftermath novel, but mainly because of his prose and half the chapters didn't have anything to do with the main story (just various short stories about the galaxy post-ROTJ).

I think a lot of fans expected something something a bit more like the Thrawn stuff but what we got was pretty much the backstory of Greg Grunberg's TFA character (Whose mom is sort of in ROTJ) with a bit of Wedge.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

He was fired cause he went on a cursed filled rant after Kavanaugh was approved. Apparently the Star Wars editors aren't as forgiving as the others when it comes to creators and twitter rants.

Utter bullshit.

What the conservative trolls have to say about the lgbt characters and the creators who write them is disgusting.

No matter what kind of language he used in his rightfully existing political tweets, this kind of "win" should have never given to the hategate group.

Though the excuse that he is negative is hilarious. You can't be negative when your intentions are to create a better social environment for people with your creative voice.

Something tells me that this was over something more current. Marvel does a lot of stuff wrong but if this firing is over what I think it is, I can see why they would ask him to leave. https://twitter.com/ChuckWendig/stat...65516699803649

If he was doing indy work okay, but the dude is working on Star Wars. To try to paint himself as a victim and toss Marvel under the bus is just low.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Something tells me that this was over something more current. Marvel doors a lot of stuff wrong but if this firing is over what I think it is, I can see why they would ask him to leave. https://twitter.com/ChuckWendig/stat...65516699803649

He he was doing indy work okay, but the dude is working on Star Wars.
    Sure but how is this negative? I'm not American, so take this from an outside perspective, dude's just showing his humanity and calling to make the world a better place.

Man I don't underatand how the world works, I don't understand why people who call for hate and people who talk against it are seen as equals.

Hope the guy comes out of this alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Sure but how is this negative? I'm not American, so take this from an outside perspective, dude's just showing his humanity and calling to make the world a better place.

Man I don't underatand how the world works, I don't understand why people who call for hate and people who talk against it are seen as equals.

Hope the guy comes out of this alright.
    I feel you, but Star Wars is under a lot of scrutiny right now. Chuck is working on a high profile property. Defending yourself against fans who don't like certain characters is one thing. Taking on an entire political party (many of whom buy Star Wars stuff) is another thing.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

What he said doesn't even seem that bad but I'm not surprised this is what happened.

The whole "demanding somebody gets fired for stuff they've said on social media" thing was never going to end well once it started picking up steam.

Mighty Member

It's simple. If you are a creator, stop using twitter, except for promoting your work. It's a toxic place, people from right or left are here for your blood, and your opinion doesn't matter that much.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

I mean, its really saying something when people can't even be 100% sure what tweets where the offensive ones...

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Something tells me that this was over something more current. Marvel does a lot of stuff wrong but if this firing is over what I think it is, I can see why they would ask him to leave. https://twitter.com/ChuckWendig/stat...65516699803649

If he was doing indy work okay, but the dude is working on Star Wars. To try to paint himself as a victim and toss Marvel under the bus is just low.
    I read that thread, and it is upset and uses some coarse language. But it does not call for eliminationism or is aimed at people with little or no power. It expresses anger against people with lots of power and privilege for dismantling democracy in the USA. Which is a very justifiable thing to be angry about.

Chuck Wendig himself on the events: In Which I Am Fired From Marvel

Analysis from the Mary Sue: Marvel Fires Star Wars Author Chuck Wendig for Not Being Civil, and We’re Furious

Haha, twitter is starting to cause unemployment again.

Well, public image. Be careful of what you say and how you say it when you work for a big arse company.

That right there is why Chuck Wendig got fired that exchange one side talked down to another and the other assumed they're evil. This it what turned Social Media into a crapfest and led to it being weaponized.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I read that thread, and it is upset and uses some coarse language. But it does not call for eliminationism or is aimed at people with little or no power. It expresses anger against people with lots of power and privilege for dismantling democracy in the USA. Which is a very justifiable thing to be angry about.

Chuck Wendig himself on the events: In Which I Am Fired From Marvel

Analysis from the Mary Sue: Marvel Fires Star Wars Author Chuck Wendig for Not Being Civil, and We’re Furious
    WTH are you talking about?
    THIS is why he got fired, some crazy ideas about what people you don't like are created so you can act like a maniac.
    This has been going on for a whole, too. who knows if this was the last strike.