Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    This is honestly bizarre. Marvel writers have always talked politics on their social media. It should be expected that people say some bone headed things in political discussions, personally I try not to hold it against anyone.

So is fired from Lucasfilm too? Can other writers follow suit? Does firing writers over social media really affect sales or does Marvel just lose talent?
    From what he said in his blog post he's totally fine to do more work with Lucasfilm but will be refraining from Marvel itself. It had to do with his editor and to be honest I have no idea who it is to be able to gauge the stick up his ass, but it doesn't appear to be a Marvel decision so much as it is the editor's.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    From what he said in his blog post he's totally fine to do more work with Lucasfilm but will be refraining from Marvel itself. It had to do with his editor and to be honest I have no idea who it is to be able to gauge the stick up his ass, but it doesn't appear to be a Marvel decision so much as it is the editor's.
    Doesn't make a lot sense then...

Is there any evidence his comments were affecting sales?

Ultimate Member

This is honestly bizarre. Marvel writers have always talked politics on their social media. It should be expected that people say some bone headed things in political discussions, personally I try not to hold it against anyone.

So is fired from Lucasfilm too? Can other writers follow suit? Does firing writers over social media really affect sales or does Marvel just lose talent?
    I'm actually surprised by this too.

I'm honestly not the biggest fan of Wendig's work (I couldn't finish the Aftermath books) but lots of Marvel's writers (and other companies too) have gotten into social media spats and didn't get fired.

I suspect there's more to this story than what we are getting.

Fantastic Member Red Robe Jaldari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    You mean back when hating on George Lucas for the Special Editions and the prequels was socially acceptable?
    Why love George exaclty? He was not exactly a comptent franchise manager.

Bone headed things won't make me stop buying stuff. When someone has contempt for entire large ideological segments as human beings is when i stop buying someone's stuff sometimes.

All-New Member

Wendig says he was fired to appease the trolls post his tweets. So he may come back soon.

In regards to the OP, I have kinda mixed feelings. On one hand, I think Wendig was crossing the line with the Tweets (and I say this as someone who believes Dr. Ford and that nominating Brett Kavanaugh demonstrated a complete lack of integrity on the part of the Republican Party from beginning to end). He has been able to make his point without using abusive language like that. On the other hand, I see Wendig's point that this basically hands a victory to the various trolls in online fandom (or at least a situation that they can exploit for propaganda reasons). In any event, as we've seen with other people in entertainment, like Roseanne Barr, James Gunn, and Richard C. Meyer, what you say online can affect your employment. This may be the new reality we have to live in now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Exactly Fans can be jerks but this isn't new I mean do anyone else besides George Lucas have a literal film exploring fan disappointment and hated of them?
    Yeah, The People vs. George Lucas. Heard online someone else is planning to do one about the TLJ backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Robe Jaldari View Post
    Why love George exaclty? He was not exactly a comptent franchise manager.
    I'm not saying it's wrong to dislike Lucas's creative decisions, but toxic entitlement and cruelty that the old "Lucas raped my childhood" mantra represented should never have been tolerated. The man did nothing to deserve such hate and harassment.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I'm not saying it's wrong to dislike Lucas's creative decisions, but toxic entitlement and cruelty that the old "Lucas raped my childhood" mantra represented should never have been tolerated. The man did nothing to deserve such hate and harassment.

Quantify it. Or at least speculate about how much was out there.

How would you have gone about not toleratiung it?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quantify it. Or at least speculate about how much was out there.

How would you have gone about not toleratiung it?
    It's pretty simple, any time you see someone write, "George Lucas raped my childhood" you tell them to express their dislike for his current work in a more intelligent manner and if they don't you block them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    What the conservative trolls have to say about the lgbt characters and the creators who write them is disgusting.

No matter what kind of language he used in his rightfully existing political tweets, this kind of "win" should have never given to the hategate group.

Though the excuse that he is negative is hilarious. You can't be negative when your intentions are to create a better social environment for people with your creative voice.
    That is your opinion. I have no use for writers expressing that kind of rant if I am the owner of the star wars properties he would be fired. Writers are a dime a dozen. It is your (that is the writers) professional responsibility not to engage trolls, particularly in that fashion.
    Last edited by mrbrklyn; 10-17-2018 at 06:34 PM.

BANNED

In any event, as we've seen with other people in entertainment, like Roseanne Barr, James Gunn, and Richard C. Meyer, what you say online can affect your employment. This may be the new reality we have to live in now.
    IMO it is about darn time as well. I am not only tired of twitter, I am tired of hearing about twitter. Twitter is not your livingroom or a lockeroom. It is a public interface and if you represent a property in your work and use twitter, or any other media, that directly ties to your public relations of your employment and is now your public face. My suggestion to anyone, including our Commander in tweet, is don't twitter anything. Don't chat, don't run around slashdot... unless you are being paid to troll, just don't do it. This is just a form of mob rule and I am frankly growing very weary of it. Comic writers and artists are on the front line and they have to realize that. What you say and how you say it matters. Ethan Van Sciver has also taken it on the knuckles.
    Last edited by mrbrklyn; 10-17-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    The editor is Mark Paniccia (he edits the Star Wars books, Daredevil and numerous X-titles.)

Look, social media can be a great outlet. We can directly interact with comic creators in a fashion that wasn't possible before. Marvel was built on the connection formed between the bullpen and the readers (in the old days it was via the letters column.) However it is reaching a point where a person cannot have an opinion. Where you have to be mindful 24/7.

Now, there is absolutely a right, and wrong, way to go about things. Could it have been handled differently? You bet. But it seems to be the new past-time to tear people to shreds. If they've acted poorly or in an inappropriate way? by all means they should be brought to task on it. However Wendig was a target well before his Twitter posts landed him in it with Brett Kavanaugh supporters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    The editor is Mark Paniccia (he edits the Star Wars books, Daredevil and numerous X-titles.)

Look, social media can be a great outlet. We can directly interact with comic creators in a fashion that wasn't possible before. Marvel was built on the connection formed between the bullpen and the readers (in the old days it was via the letters column.) However it is reaching a point where a person cannot have an opinion. Where you have to be mindful 24/7.

Now, there is absolutely a right, and wrong, way to go about things. Could it have been handled differently? You bet. But it seems to be the new past-time to tear people to shreds. If they've acted poorly or in an inappropriate way? by all means they should be brought to task on it. However Wendig was a target well before his Twitter posts landed him in it with Brett Kavanaugh supporters.
    I am sympathetic with that as well. But its just a gig. If he was a shlub working for 60K a year towards a pension, I would be more sympathetic to a slap on the wrist. But he will just pick up his next gig.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's pretty simple, any time you see someone write, "George Lucas raped my childhood" you tell them to express their dislike for his current work in a more intelligent manner and if they don't you block them.
    That erases those people from the Net? Also fron IRL?

Also isn't that used more ironically?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

That erases those people from the Net? Also fron IRL?

Also isn't that used more ironically?
    It doesn't erase them, we don't have Steven King's Word Processor of the Gods, but when you don't feed trolls they tend to go away so it works. And although some do use it ironically there are multitudes who do seriously think along those lines, hence the hundreds of death threats Lucas says he used to receive daily.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It doesn't erase them, we don't have Steven King's Word Processor of the Gods, but when you don't feed trolls they tend to go away so it works. And although some do use it ironically there are multitudes who do seriously think along those lines, hence the hundreds of death threats Lucas says he used to receive daily.
    I don't see the prequel critics going anywhere, also critics probably wrote just as negatively about him.