Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Red Robe Jaldari View Post
    That erases those people from the Net? Also fron IRL?

You don't get the option of deleting people you don't like from the universe, be it in comics or in the employment of a comic book publisher, not that one should want to since they are star wars customers.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    I am sympathetic with that as well. But its just a gig. If he was a shlub working for 60K a year towards a pension, I would be more sympathetic to a slap on the wrist. But he will just pick up his next gig.
    Not necessarily. The news was mainstream enough that any publisher would be thinking twice about working with him due to the potential bad press. He has made a lot of people very angry and they will, most likely, follow him wherever he goes next. Never underestimate the damage people can do if they put their minds to it. Some won't be satisfied with his sacking. Seeing his career and reputation in tatters will.

It is great that people get so passionate. But making death threats and engaging in smear campaigns never benefits either party in the long run. They just need to take a step back and disengage until they cool down.

Actually, there are a few rumours floating around that the recent sackings might lead to comic writers forming their own union to deal with instances of firings from paying work etc. Don't know how they'd even establish such a thing. But now I am musing over potential strikes akin to the writers one in Hollywood in 2008. Just on a comic writer and artist scale.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Not necessarily. The news was mainstream enough that any publisher would be thinking twice about working with him due to the potential bad press.

Nah, they have short memories and these things happen all the time...we just don't hear about it.

Quantify it. Or at least speculate about how much was out there.
    I find the fact that The People vs. George Lucas was ever a thing very telling how much hate he got. Google for info about the Special Editions and see how much anger there is over that ever existing. Some for the prequels. I'm having trouble finding the original quotes, but Lucas has gone on record that the reason he sold his company to Disney was because of being the target of unhappy fans. I recall when the sale first went down, it was pretty easy to find comments to the effect of "good, Lucas can't destroy it anymore." (Bear in mind, this is the same fanbase that spawned people who thought it was okay to attack people like Jake Lloyd, Ahmed Best, Daisy Ridley, and Kelly Marie Tran -- some of whom have suffered real-life repercussions -- just over entertainment.) So, yeah, I think there was plenty of hate and the majority of it unfounded (you criticize the work, never the artist).

How would you have gone about not toleratiung it?
    Reported to moderators if that applied. Blocked. Called out said behavior. We can't police every one and story everything (although we have seen fans willing to stand up to the bullies, so it's not all doom and gloom), but we can stand up when people are crossing lines.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Fantastic Member Red Robe Jaldari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I find the fact that The People vs. George Lucas was ever a thing very telling how much hate he got. Google for info about the Special Editions and see how much anger there is over that ever existing. Some for the prequels. I'm having trouble finding the original quotes, but Lucas has gone on record that the reason he sold his company to Disney was because of being the target of unhappy fans. I recall when the sale first went down, it was pretty easy to find comments to the effect of "good, Lucas can't destroy it anymore." (Bear in mind, this is the same fanbase that spawned people who thought it was okay to attack people like Jake Lloyd, Ahmed Best, Daisy Ridley, and Kelly Marie Tran -- some of whom have suffered real-life repercussions -- just over entertainment.) So, yeah, I think there was plenty of hate and the majority of it unfounded (you criticize the work, never the artist).

Reported to moderators if that applied. Blocked. Called out said behavior. We can't police every one and story everything (although we have seen fans willing to stand up to the bullies, so it's not all doom and gloom), but we can stand up when people are crossing lines.
    Well if someone tried to crank out 5 MCU movies as bad as the prequels the guy could also get a documentary like that.

Are we talking about this forum or the world?

Astonishing Member

Seems Wendig's Twitter was attacked by Russian Bots. Same as Johnson's was. Most likely by the same person/s.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Seems Wendig's Twitter was attacked by Russian Bots. Same as Johnson's was. Most likely by the same person/s.
    I'm starting to think that bots is starting to become an excuse for anyone that does something stupid.

Well if someone tried to crank out 5 MCU movies as bad as the prequels the guy could also get a documentary like that.
    Maybe? On the other hand, prequel haters really seem to refuse to let it go, even years after the fact when it's all been said and done and there's really no reason to continue the war.

Are we talking about this forum or the world?
    I was thinking the internet in general. I fully concede that trolls and cyberbullies will always be a problem and in many cases there's only so much you can do. However, I still think that one should still whatever they can within their sphere of influence to defuse the problem when they are able to.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

If anything original I ever create becomes popular I'd be so happy if anyone posts anything offensive on my social media I'd be like - "so you're familiar with my work, keep on buying". If they want to hate buy just to complain let them. Many creators and people in the industry have thin skins today and should stay away from political or social commentary posting if they can't exercise restraint.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Maybe? On the other hand, prequel haters really seem to refuse to let it go, even years after the fact when it's all been said and done and there's really no reason to continue the war.

I was thinking the internet in general. I fully concede that trolls and cyberbullies will always be a problem and in many cases there's only so much you can do. However, I still think that one should still whatever they can within their sphere of influence to defuse the problem when they are able to.
    What war? Are they protesting George no matter where he goes?

Depends on one's definition of problem.

What war? Are they protesting George no matter where he goes?
    That has been more or less my experience in the past (although I will concede that it's hardly an unscientific assessment and that today the target seems to have shifted more to people like Rian Johnson and Kelly Marie Tran).

Depends on one's definition of problem.
    I think that one can express their dislike of a piece of media without attacking the people behind it.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I'm starting to think that bots is starting to become an excuse for anyone that does something stupid.
    We are back in the 80's. Where it is popular to blame everything on the Russians

That has been more or less my experience in the past (although I will concede that it's hardly an unscientific assessment and that today the target seems to have shifted more to people like Rian Johnson and Kelly Marie Tran).

I think that one can express their dislike of a piece of media without attacking the people behind it.
    Your exoperience? Hi George.

Depends on the people behind it.

Ultimate Member

Exactly.

I didn't like the Last Jedi but the last thing i'd do is start attacking or doxing the creators behind that. That's a nasty thing to do.

But I've also said that creators should try to avoid engaging the trolls as much as possible. There's no point getting dragged down with folks that really have nothing to contribute to the discussion.

Quantify it. Or at least speculate about how much was out there.

How would you have gone about not toleratiung it?
    Here is a clip of Patton Oswald joking about how he wanted to kill George Lucas

Sure, this was played for laughs. But even back then, it was somewhat distasteful when I first heard it. Criticize him, halt his projects, have someone help him out. That's one thing. But this was something else entire else entirely. This was someone joking about taking another human being's life because they made some bad films. And no one called this out. I can't imagine this joke would fly today. Especially in light of how the SW fandom has acted.

And this is just what was done to Lucas. Jake Lloyd got bullied out of an acting career. Ahmed Best actually contemplated suicide because of the harassment and bullying he suffered for playing Jar Jar Binks. And no one called this out. This is the type of toxicity and fan entitlement that weblurker was referring to. All of this was a precursor to what the cast and crew of the Sequel Trilogy are enduring. Fans didn't clamp down in this behavior when it was at its infancy and now decades later we're suffering the consequences of that apathy.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-22-2018 at 05:39 AM.