Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default How soon before Marvel announces Namor to counter Aquaman?

This year? Next year?

Should they introduce him as a villain or a hero?

If they go the hero route he should probably get his own film first. If they go the villain route he could pop up in Avengers 6, Black Panther 2, or Marvel's Fantastic Four.

Costume wise do you go with the classic green speedo or a more modern look? If you cast an actor with good abs you gotta go bare chest, but if your just casting someone and not worried about physique I guess he can wear a shirt. Or they could go the Namora route, but that seems unlikely.
    The J-man

As far as I am aware, Marvel still does not have the movie rights to Namor.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    As far as I am aware, Marvel still does not have the movie rights to Namor.
    The J-man

Correct! Slightly possible that - is it Universal? - might 'license' in the same way Hulk is for MCU?

So he'd always be a character but no helming a film, I guess?

If he does ever make it into a film I really want him to start wearing some pants lmao

Boisterously Confused

I'm not saying that Marvel will never bring Namor to the screen. However, I don't think they're interested being seen as reacting to DC/Warner in anything.

So I wouldn't look for them to invest in the Submariner just answer Aquaman

Why does Aquaman need countering? In fact DC is doing a incredible job of screwing up on its own why does Marvel need to step in to help?

If Namor shows up it is going to be in a fantastic four movie imo

Why don't Disney just buy the Namor and Hulk rights back from Universal?

And yeah, his situation is probably identical to Hulk's.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Why does Aquaman need countering? In fact DC is doing a incredible job of screwing up on its own why does Marvel need to step in to help?

If Namor shows up it is going to be in a fantastic four movie imo
    Agreed. DC tends to counter themselves just fine.

Honestly, Namor has always been one of the LEAST likable characters in the Marvel universe. Whether it's his unmatched arrogance or his frequent villainous attacks on the surface world... or the constant attempts to seduce married women... I just hate the character. I don't see how a 'solo' movie would ever do well in the least. Of course I've said that about Aquaman too... so we'll see how that goes. But yeah, out of the HUGE catagloge of characters Marvel has access to... Namor is at the bottom.

Now... using him as a villain in a Fantastic Four movie I would totally be behind. The fire vs. Water visuals... the ability to go blow for blow with the Thing.... A strange new land thought to be myth for the FF to discover and explore... There's a LOT of potential there. But making him the hero?? Easy pass for me.

I wonder how much it will cost? I’m sure universal won’t make a namor or hulk film. It’s just about finding the right number which I bet they’re hoping for a big one

Extraordinary Member

I'm probably in the minority but I do not want a Namor movie.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I’d love to see Namor in the MCU. Hopefully he shows up as an antagonist in a future F4 or Avengers movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I wonder how much it will cost? I’m sure universal won’t make a namor or hulk film. It’s just about finding the right number which I bet they’re hoping for a big one
    Yeah, I'm still curious if underwater movie will be able to turn a profit. I suspect Aquaman will end up being a massive budget just for special effects and CGI. If they need 300 Million for Aquaman to make a profit,… what would they need for Namor? I'm still expecting it to be like the $200 Million Lone Ranger show...

I think Namor deserves to be a character, an antagonist, a possible rival or other roles as defined by his incredibly long story in the Marvel Universe. I think if he was ever able to really star in his own movie it would be after having appeared in several other Marvel ones that would establish his origin/role and general orientation to the MCU.

Over several movies his arc would go from a possible monster-villain who wants to flood the world, to manipulated and/or amnesiac dupe in a battle or two, to finally redeeming himself.

So it might be a male version of Medusa's arc in the earlier days.
    To me this would occur best in the next phase with

A movie about the '40s Invaders, possibly establishing the new actor to be Cap, but showing that Human Torch and Namor. Ends with all three of them (and/or possible others) being lost to history or written out - - maybe Namor is presumed dead, but has retreated to Atlantis, or he becomes amnesiac - waiting for

The Fantastic Four's Johnny to pretty much awaken him as per the old comic story. This would most likely NOT be the first new FF movie but a follow up. Namor has or has not teamed with Dr. Doom, but by the end is possibly restrained and the Panther (who should meet the FF before this, actually) helps recover his memories and history.

So maybe that last sentence continues into an Avengers or Panther movie. If the latter, they could go for the Atlantean/Wakandan war, which might be epic.

As a redeemed character Namor either joins the Avengers, or assists them - OR - he co founds The New Defenders (unless the Netflix series is still around) with Hulk, Strange and others. This could be more like Thor: Ragnorok, but with much more supernatural tones.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    I'm probably in the minority but I do not want a Namor movie.
    Same here. If he appeared in an FF movie, maybe, but I'll be honest: I haven't watched any of the last 2-3 FF movies at the theater. They might as well send it straight to video.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin