Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How soon before Marvel announces Namor to counter Aquaman?

This year? Next year?

Should they introduce him as a villain or a hero?

If they go the hero route he should probably get his own film first. If they go the villain route he could pop up in Avengers 6, Black Panther 2, or Marvel's Fantastic Four.

Costume wise do you go with the classic green speedo or a more modern look? If you cast an actor with good abs you gotta go bare chest, but if your just casting someone and not worried about physique I guess he can wear a shirt. Or they could go the Namora route, but that seems unlikely.
    The J-man

As far as I am aware, Marvel still does not have the movie rights to Namor.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The J-man

Correct! Slightly possible that - is it Universal? - might 'license' in the same way Hulk is for MCU?

So he'd always be a character but no helming a film, I guess?

If he does ever make it into a film I really want him to start wearing some pants lmao

Boisterously Confused

I'm not saying that Marvel will never bring Namor to the screen. However, I don't think they're interested being seen as reacting to DC/Warner in anything.

So I wouldn't look for them to invest in the Submariner just answer Aquaman

Why does Aquaman need countering? In fact DC is doing a incredible job of screwing up on its own why does Marvel need to step in to help?

If Namor shows up it is going to be in a fantastic four movie imo

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I believe it's actually shared rights like the Hulk.

Anyway, despite many of the currently iconic elements of Aquaman being borrowed from Namor (including the whole Atlantis thing), Aquaman has always been a better-known character. I realize there are a lot of areas that Marvel movies could introduce to the public first and make the original DC look like a copy (Thanos before Darkseid, Eternals before New Gods, etc.). But, if they introduce the Submariner now, he'll look like the copy. At best, they should just introduce him as an antagonist in a Fantastic Four film.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I believe it's actually shared rights like the Hulk.

Anyway, despite many of the currently iconic elements of Aquaman being borrowed from Namor (including the whole Atlantis thing), Aquaman has always been a better-known character. I realize there are a lot of areas that Marvel movies could introduce to the public first and make the original DC look like a copy (Thanos before Darkseid, Eternals before New Gods, etc.). But, if they introduce the Submariner now, he'll look like the copy. At best, they should just introduce him as an antagonist in a Fantastic Four film.
    So, basically, if they ever use Namor it will probably be in another property like how Hulk only shows up in guest spots and Avenger films.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

I prefer Namor as a villain or anti-hero. Would rather see him as antagonist in a Fantastic Four movie than as a hero in a solo film.

Though I find Namor more interesting as a classy antagonist, I really think his fans' wishes should be taken into consideration when it comes to his portrayal. It sucks when your hero is bent to the wishes of "non-fans", especially to prop up their favourite. I'm sure we've all suffered through this at one time or another.

It would be fun to see him with his old Defenders team-mate Dr Strange, and maybe with the Valkyrie.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

So, basically, if they ever use Namor it will probably be in another property like how Hulk only shows up in guest spots and Avenger films.
    That's the theory. Feige has only said it's complicated, so we don't technically know if it's identical but it's the leading theory since the Hulk was Universal as well.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?