Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Will there ever be a time when the Titans are the premier DC team?

As everyone knows, the DC Universe doe t really age. While to be fair, it technically does, it doesn't progress quick enough at rate for it to truly matter. This is why Batman hasn't died of old age, Why Wonder Woman still looks like a supermodel, and why the first generation of sidekicks, the Titans in short, are still in their twenties.

This is also the in-universe excuse for why characters introduced 80 to 60 years ago are still the leading characters in the DCU, and these Silver Age - Goden Age heroes haven't passed down their monikers to their sidekicks. However I have a question: Do you think that there ever will be a time when the Titans generation of Dick Grayson, Donna Troy, Wally West, Roy Harper, Aqualad, etcetera, will be the most prominent characters at DC? This might seem unlikely, but I think there is a veritable possibility that a scenario like this will occur.

Status quos fluctuate and shift. Especially the public's interest in a brand or franchise. X Men used to be far and away the most popular comic based property from the big two. I explicitly remember instances in the 90s when the top ten best selling were completely filled up by X-books. Are the X Men as much of a phenomenon in the popular culture as they were in the 80s and 90s? Of course not. Marvel decided to shift their focus on the Avengers, and not just the comic reading populace, but the public at large as well have come know the Avengers as Marvel's premier superhero team instead of the X Men. Frankly B-list characters such as Iron Man, Black Panther, and Thanos are now arguably considered more iconic by "normies" (excuse the term) than even Superman himself at this point of time. I can't see why the Titans wouldn't achieve the same success one day.

They were the premiere team in the 80s
    The J-man

Fair enough. Although I consider my title misleading. What I sort of meant with this thread was. "Will Dick Grayson ever be more popular than Bruce Wayne? Will Donna Troy ever be more popular than Diana of Theymascera? etc. etc"

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Fair enough. Although I consider my title misleading. What I sort of meant with this thread was. "Will Dick Grayson ever be more popular than Bruce Wayne? Will Donna Troy ever be more popular than Diana of Theymascera? etc. etc"
    In the Batman forums? Dick is more popular than Bruce, according to the poll. In general? Probably not until he becomes more established to more people.

As for Donna... They really need to get her origins and relationships with other Amazons fixed before she can really begin climbing up in popularity.

I honestly can't see it unless they catch lightning in the bottle in a movie and make an enormous amount of money or some other outside medium.

DC has gimmicky events now and than but for the last 20 some years they've been consistent in their approach to their premiere characters. Batman is king. And they aren't elevating anyone above Superman or Wonder Woman.

Dick Grayson kind of ebbs and flows. 4th character DC has created. Very popular on the Teen Titans. Had several ups and downs in solos. Got pushed hard for a year when they temporarily killed of Bruce Wayne.

I just don't see editorial and DC comics pushing anyone enough to ever truly change the status quo. The way they write comics nowadays for someone to step up someone else has to step back
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I honestly can't see it unless they catch lightning in the bottle in a movie and make an enormous amount of money or some other outside medium.

DC has gimmicky events now and than but for the last 20 some years they've been consistent in their approach to their premiere characters. Batman is king. And they aren't elevating anyone above Superman or Wonder Woman.

Dick Grayson kind of ebbs and flows. 4th character DC has created. Very popular on the Teen Titans. Had several ups and downs in solos. Got pushed hard for a year when they temporarily killed of Bruce Wayne.

I just don't see editorial and DC comics pushing anyone enough to ever truly change the status quo. The way they write comics nowadays for someone to step up someone else has to step back
    One possible scenario that could trigger the Titans replacing the Justice League in terms of status could lie on the silver screen. If there are a slew of DCEU movies (particularly starring characters from the Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman mythos) that fail not only critically (as has been the case for most of the DC extended universe) but financially as well, Warner Brothers could see this as the primary DC characters as no longer resonating with audiences. Because of this Warner Brothers will look for more B-list characters to take the spotlight. I think that these exact B-list characters would be the Titans*.

I think something like the aforementioned can definitely occur. It is bluntly apparent that the DCEU is having a lot of problems, and I think that fundamentally the MCU would always be more successful than DC cinematic universe. Besides Batman, who is well liked, a large quantity of the movie going audience (not a majority but still a good amount of people) think that Wonder Woman and to an even greater extent, Superman are stale. They are seen as less cool than the Marvel heroes. This is probably because Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman have been icons in regards to the mainstream for decades, in contrast to the Marvel characters, who audiences either only faintly knew, or didn't know who they were at all before the MCU. I honestly don't think Superman will ever be as much of a cultural force as he when the George Reeves Superman series was on the air. Also I think Batman will suffer from the same situation many commentators and critics have considered Superman to be in: On the edge of irrelevancy. Dawn of Justice was the first time Superman and Batman crossed paths on the big screen in live action, but the film couldn't even pass One Billion in the box office, a task that is becoming easier and easier now a days.

* (Aquaman, Flash, and Green Lantern would be my second guesses for who WB would replace as their principal DC characters. There are some things that are getting in the way of this however: The Aquaman film hasn't come out yet, and the trailer in my opinion looks horrid; People are still wary of Greem Lantern after his 2011 film; Flash is a wild card.)
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 10-12-2018 at 06:03 PM.

BANNED

Besides Batman, who is well liked, a large quantity of the movie going audience (not a majority but still a good amount of people) think that Wonder Woman and to an even greater extent, Superman are stale. They are seen as less cool than the Marvel heroes.
    Yeah, the general public really hate Wonder Woman a lot. In no way does she measure up to the raw coolness and sheer appeal of characters like Ant-Man and Dr Strange, of whom the public can't get enough of.

Man, some of the nonsense that gets posted here, becomes more risible by the day.

BANNED

I honestly don't think Superman will ever be as much of a cultural force as he when the George Reeves Superman series was on the air. Also I think Batman will suffer from the same situation many commentators and critics have considered Superman to be in: On the edge of irrelevancy.
    So not only is Superman irrelevant, Batman is also on the verge of joining him there? Oh no, how on earth will DC ever survive! They should just pack up now close the company for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tec15 View Post
    Yeah, the general public really hate Wonder Woman a lot. In no way does she measure up to the raw coolness and sheer appeal of characters like Ant-Man and Dr Strange, of whom the public can't get enough of.

Man, some of the nonsense that gets posted here, becomes more risible by the day.
    I stand by my original point, except I change my mind about Wonder Woman. You're probably right about her. Her 2017 movie was a success, it was even speculated that it would be nominated for best picture at the Acadamy Awards. However in my defense. I think this is what she was percieved as before that film came out.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 10-12-2018 at 06:38 PM.

One possible scenario that could trigger the Titans replacing the Justice League in terms of status could lie on the silver screen. If there are a slew of DCEU movies (particularly starring characters from the Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman mythos) that fail not only critically (as has been the case for most of the DC extended universe) but financially as well, Warner Brothers could see this as the primary DC characters as no longer resonating with audiences. Because of this Warner Brothers will look for more B-list characters to take the spotlight. I think that these exact B-list characters would be the Titans*.

I think something like the aforementioned can definitely occur. It is bluntly apparent that the DCEU is having a lot of problems, and I think that fundamentally the MCU would always be more successful than DC cinematic universe. Besides Batman, who is well liked, a large quantity of the movie going audience (not a majority but still a good amount of people) think that Wonder Woman and to an even greater extent, Superman are stale. They are seen as less cool than the Marvel heroes. This is probably because Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman have been icons in regards to the mainstream for decades, in contrast to the Marvel characters, who audiences either only faintly knew, or didn't know who they were at all before the MCU. I honestly don't think Superman will ever be as much of a cultural force as he when the George Reeves Superman series was on the air. Also I think Batman will suffer from the same situation many commentators and critics have considered Superman to be in: On the edge of irrelevancy. Dawn of Justice was the first time Superman and Batman crossed paths on the big screen in live action, but the film couldn't even pass One Billion in the box office, a task that is becoming easier and easier now a days.

* (Aquaman, Flash, and Green Lantern would be my second guesses for who WB would replace as their principal DC characters. There are some things that are getting in the way of this however: The Aquaman film hasn't come out yet, and the trailer in my opinion looks horrid; People are still wary of Greem Lantern after his 2011 film; Flash is a wild card.)

I mean anything is possible I guess, but as long as Batman and Superman comics continue to sell In the top portion of the industry DC is unlikely to change unless its a company mandate from executives above DC. Companies aren't as efficient as one might think.

Still, say the scenario you've suggested comes to pass. I don't see it happening but its not impossible. At the moment Wonder Woman is still popular. She has a hit movie despite co-staring in Justice League DC will likely move forward with her. We don't know how Aquaman will do, so we just have to wait and see.

DC has been doing well on the CW, not well enough to translate into the comics but that has more to do with the way people consume media and how generations spend their money. I think they've taken small comic chances (in their minds) based on the success of CW shows. In a way that is evidence of other properties being appealing to a mass audience.

The hot rumor right now is that DC is going to do a Supergirl movie, possibly using a script they intended for Man of Steel 2. Fan speculation is that DC might move ahead with Wonder Woman, Shazam and Aquaman. Again this is just a rumor. I don't see it happening, but you never know.

Batman has been the lone man on the mountain for DC since 2005. Int he comics even longer. I'm sure DC execs have talked about the growing need to diversify and use other properties outside of Batman.....will see. I think Batman's just hard to shake until recently he's been so successful and profitable for DC. I think DC is just looking for a big win and the first one or two they get they'll latch on to it and milk it for all its worth.

Outside of TV, Wonder Woman's really the only big hit in this superhero movie age and I've heard from sources that DC isn't 100% on Wonder Woman. I don't know if they think it was a fluke or something else. I trust the source so this is kind of mind boggling to me, but I believe it before the film hit theaters. They didn't market the movie in a big way before it released than once all the positive feedback came out they pushed it harder on the back end, going for Oscar noms etc. Still if anyone at WB has doubts about Wonder Woman now I'd genuinely lose faith in current management across the board.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Tec15 View Post
    So not only is Superman irrelevant, Batman is also on the verge of joining him there? Oh no, how on earth will DC ever survive! They should just pack up now close the company for good.
    You have misconstrued my prediction. I don't think that Superman will be deemed "second tier" by the public just yet. It's a long process. However there definitely a lot of problems facing Superman as a character you have to admit. He clearly has seen better days.

Superman used to be DC's top selling character. Now a days, his sales are typically middling** Sure, now that Bendis is on the early issues of his run Superman selling around 70k***, but this almost definitely won't last, as that data I checked was from August, which Superman was on issue two, and after issue three to six, the sales of a title vastly decrease.

* Silver Age Supermanhttp://www.comichron.com/yearlycomic...data/1960.html

** Tomasihttp://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...7/2017-01.html

*** Bendishttp://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...8/2018-08.html
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 10-12-2018 at 07:07 PM.

Boisterously Confused

The Titans' peak was kind of an anomaly, 30 years ago. Wolfman and Perez were writing 1980s stories when most of DC was still writing Silver Age stories.

The Titans' were (out of universe) a huge thing for exactly as long as it took for the rest of DC to catch up. Which wasn't long.

I want them to so badly, we were so close to this happening before the reboot. You had Dick and Donna leading the Titans while other same age heroes Jade and Jesse were on the team as well. This could've been the point where DC really shook things up and pushed the next generation forward but instead they rebooted.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Mighty Member

No. And they don't need to be. Every team has their run. There's nothing wrong with that.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

You have misconstrued my prediction. I don't think that Superman will be deemed "second tier" by the public just yet. It's a long process. However there definitely a lot of problems facing Superman as a character you have to admit. He clearly has seen better days.

Superman used to be DC's top selling character. Now a days, his sales are typically middling** Sure, now that Bendis is on the early issues of his run Superman selling around 70k***, but this almost definitely won't last, as that data I checked was from August, which Superman was on issue two, and after issue three to six, the sales of a title vastly decrease.

* Silver Age Supermanhttp://www.comichron.com/yearlycomic...data/1960.html

** Tomasihttp://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...7/2017-01.html

*** Bendishttp://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...8/2018-08.html
    His solos sell better than most Marvel characters do. Only Batman and Flash solos sell better than his. People have been saying he’s irrelevant for decades and yet he’s still here. I doubt he’ll ever fade completely although he has suffered at the hands of Snyder in recent years.

As for the Titans... No. No they won’t be the premier team any time soon. The Titans brand has fallen on hard times.