Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

As far as book sales, there’s always a chance that Titans/Teen Titans could become DC’s premiere team again. When Johns’ was writing the book it was outselling JLA and Wizard Magazine named it the best team in comics. So there’s always hope that a big name creative team will want a shot at them. I’m sure the cartoon helped raise a whole new generation of fans, many of whom are trying to be comic book creators.

As far as in continuity, I don’t think they’ll ever be the premiere team. The Justice League is made to be the All Stars of the DCU. The modern pantheon. While Titans is supposed to be the next generation. The embodiment of superhero youth. Unless DC shakes things up and puts Superman and Wonder Woman on the Titans, they aren’t going to be the top team.

Titans has something the other team don’t. Titans more so than any other DC team, feels like a family. We’ve all had best friends who are basically our brothers or sisters. People you’ve grown up with and who always have your back. That’s the Titans. I hated how that all got lost in the New 52 and I’m very glad it’s back. Justice League are coworkers but the Titans are family.

Yeah the down side of the team is that they will always be stuck in that coming of age territory. But luckily for DC there will always be young fans who can relate. The older fans may not like that the team never ages but that aspect will (hopefully) appeal to younger fans.
    Last edited by Robotman; 10-13-2018 at 12:41 PM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Pre-Flashpoint the Titans were the Justice League. It's as close as it got for them being the premier team.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Another obstacle the TT face is that they're a coming of age story that can never get resolved. One of the things that wowed people in 1980 was that the sidekicks and their new friends were moving forward. Eventually, since nobody was retiring WW or Batman, that had to stop.
    Yes, the natural end point for their character arcs is to actually take over as the premiere team, but that's never going to happen. And I don't think it's really fair to blame the bigger JL generation characters. They have fans that don't want to see them replaced for the benefit of other characters that they may not even care about to begin with, so what do they gain out of it? Not every Batman fan is a fan of Dick Grayson. And there are probably even fewer fans of Wonder Woman who are fans of Donna, or like her enough to replace Diana altogether. She doesn't nor ever has spent enough time in the WW franchise to gain that kind of fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Justice League are coworkers but the Titans are family.
    I feel like this is more of a fan made interpretation than something DC believes. Bruce and Clark are closer than any of the Titans you could argue, same with them and Diana. I don't think the Titans have been a family since the New 52. That last scene pre Flashpoint with Dick as Batman and Donna in the Justice League together was the last time I felt any of the Titans were truly close.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Titans has something the other team don’t. Titans more so than any other DC team, feels like a family. We’ve all had best friends who are basically our brothers or sisters. People you’ve grown up with and who always have your back. That’s the Titans. I hated how that all got lost in the New 52 and I’m very glad it’s back. Justice League are coworkers but the Titans are family.

Yeah, I agree. I feel that there is an artificiality to the Justice League* that the Titans typically don't exhibit.

* (Well at least the big seven Justice League with Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Cyborg, and Martian Manhunter. The more unconventional takes on the League such as Justice League Detroit and JLI were more fluid)
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 10-14-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I feel like this is more of a fan made interpretation than something DC believes. Bruce and Clark are closer than any of the Titans you could argue, same with them and Diana. I don't think the Titans have been a family since the New 52. That last scene pre Flashpoint with Dick as Batman and Donna in the Justice League together was the last time I felt any of the Titans were truly close.
    Bruce and Clark? Diana even? Okay. The rest? They get along, but they don't really have the same sort of connection as the Trinity or the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Bruce and Clark? Diana even? Okay. The rest? They get along, but they don't really have the same sort of connection as the Trinity or the Titans.
    But the Titans don't really have that connection anymore either. People are clinging to something that doesn't exist and hasn't existed for a long time. The idea that the Titans have this family dynamic and are all super close just isn't true. Most of the current team have no history with each other. Sure, the JL aren't a family outside of the Trinity (which is still more than any of the Titans imo) but I'd argue that even Batman and Flash have been closer than Dick and Garth or even Dick and Donna in their interactions since the reboot. All those old Titans stories are no longer canon, characters like Roy are now closer to Jason Todd than any of the Titans, and even Abnett said the previous Titans team failed because he was trying to write them like friends and it didn't work.

Maybe Wally and Dick in a few of their scene together came across as real friends who used to be close, but even that was very brief. So Abnett had them eating pizza together in some panels in the current Titans run and now that means they are all like a family despite their history being nothing like it used to be? I just don't see it.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

The rebirth titans felt more like a bunch of peopel who were trying to be friends again after not seeing each other for years than they did a family.

Ok so DC has dropped the ball with that aspect of the Titans since New 52. But I think it’s been that way for the vast majority of their history. And it seems like they’re at least trying to get back to that.

Ok so DC has dropped the ball with that aspect of the Titans since New 52. But I think it’s been that way for the vast majority of their history. And it seems like they’re at least trying to get back to that.
    Well, Geoff Johns was. DiDio is trying to kill them off, one by one. Shot Dick in the head, giving him character changing amnesia (now goes by Ric), killed Roy and Wally (after bringing Wally back), made Donna an alcoholic.... Given time, watch Tempest forget how to swim, Lilith vanish off the face of the planet, and so on.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    But the Titans don't really have that connection anymore either. People are clinging to something that doesn't exist and hasn't existed for a long time. The idea that the Titans have this family dynamic and are all super close just isn't true. Most of the current team have no history with each other. Sure, the JL aren't a family outside of the Trinity (which is still more than any of the Titans imo) but I'd argue that even Batman and Flash have been closer than Dick and Garth or even Dick and Donna in their interactions since the reboot. All those old Titans stories are no longer canon, characters like Roy are now closer to Jason Todd than any of the Titans, and even Abnett said the previous Titans team failed because he was trying to write them like friends and it didn't work.

Maybe Wally and Dick in a few of their scene together came across as real friends who used to be close, but even that was very brief. So Abnett had them eating pizza together in some panels in the current Titans run and now that means they are all like a family despite their history being nothing like it used to be? I just don't see it.
    Before the events of New 52, did they still maintain a family connection?

I entered the comics between one and two years before New 52, but I do not remember much interaction between the characters at that time.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The Titans' peak was kind of an anomaly, 30 years ago. Wolfman and Perez were writing 1980s stories when most of DC was still writing Silver Age stories.
    That's not really correct, though it might be fair to say they were creating better BA stories than the others. It also helped that the Justice League didn't have the same star power at that time like it had during the satellite years.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Well, Geoff Johns was. DiDio is trying to kill them off, one by one. Shot Dick in the head, giving him character changing amnesia (now goes by Ric), killed Roy and Wally (after bringing Wally back), made Donna an alcoholic.... Given time, watch Tempest forget how to swim, Lilith vanish off the face of the planet, and so on.
    If they wanted to get rid of Omen they had a good opportunity in No Justice. Weren't a whole bunch of anonymous psychics killed?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

also Victor and Kory sent faraway in space
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Although they totally SHOULD, DC will NEVER allow that to happen.
    There is simply no way we will ever see Dick, Garth or Donna take over the mantle of their mentors on a permanent basis.
    Hell, Wally DID and held the title over two decades before he was shafted.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.