Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Who should replace Cavill? Or should they at all?

I think it's safe to assume that Cavill is gone at this point. Given this, who should replace him? Or should they even bother? We know there isn't any new Superman movies on the horizon anytime soon. And they are trying out making movies outside the DCEU. So should WB just scrap the idea of Superman in the DCEU? How should they approach this going forward?
    Assassinate Putin!

Master Hero Vladimir

No, they shouldn't replace Cavill. If they did, Warner and DC might as well be treating their consumers like morons, expecting them to believe their new version of Superman can easily fit the new DC movie universe as the last one did.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Michael B. Jordan. Because the world is ready for a poc Superman.

Joking aside, I think we'll see for a while more projects about Superman set outside the DCEU. In the main DCEU, they'll probably try to find a lame justification for Superman's absence like they plan to do with Batfleck too.

Someone on the younger side. Adapt Morrison’s Action Comics run. Enemies are San Lane and Metallo. That would be fun, less expensive and a change from damn Lex and Zod all the time. But more likely they’re just going to swap him out for Supergirl.

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Someone on the younger side. Adapt Morrison’s Action Comics run. Enemies are San Lane and Metallo. That would be fun, less expensive and a change from damn Lex and Zod all the time. But more likely they’re just going to swap him out for Supergirl.
    I don't know if Morrison's New 52 Action Comics run is adaptable, especially as a movie. it's a complex and rich run. it'd probably work as a stand-alone TV series, though I have doubt that it'd work even in that format.
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Nobody saw Henry Cavill coming, so I don't think we'll have any clue who the next Superman will be either.

With any luck, Warner Bros. and Cavill's agents will work something out and he'll get another chance to show how he really wants the character to be portrayed. If not, there are plenty of hunky young actors in Hollywood who I am sure have the right qualities and charisma to pull it off.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Henry Cavill is my live action Superman. He is my Superman in general I guess and I love all of his character counting MoS and BvS.

But sooner or later next generation is going to get their own Superman who will change their lives. I'm not ready for it, but that's just how life works. It goes on. Would I care about new Superman though? We will see. But I don't have anyone particular in mind.

Chris Evans finished playing Cap though.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Nobody saw Henry Cavill coming, so I don't think we'll have any clue who the next Superman will be either.

With any luck, Warner Bros. and Cavill's agents will work something out and he'll get another chance to show how he really wants the character to be portrayed. If not, there are plenty of hunky young actors in Hollywood who I am sure have the right qualities and charisma to pull it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    Henry Cavill is my live action Superman. He is my Superman in general I guess and I love all of his character counting MoS and BvS.

But sooner or later next generation is going to get their own Superman who will change their lives. I'm not ready for it, but that's just how life works. It goes on. Would I care about new Superman though? We will see. But I don't have anyone particular in mind.

Chris Evans finished playing Cap though.
    Yes, Henry was the perfect choice for the role. He is not to blame if the people over at Warner and DC don't feel confident enough in making a new Superman movie. I can only hope he can play Superman again, sooner rather than later.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I want them to move forward with the character period. Preferably with Cavill because he wants the role and he got screwed over more than anybody else in the DCEU, but I'd accept a good re-casting as long as we got a good movie out of it. There's any number of actors out there now or in the future who could play the part, but the main issue is the studio and the damage they've done to the brand.

And their plans on righting the ship do not sound appealing at all, if any of the rumors are true.

It sounds like if they want Cavill back, it's going to have to be on some sort of consignment basis. This clearly is not the MCU where they have a certain number of movies planned out for him to star in. It's whenever they get an idea in their heads that they want to make something to put him in. Which means they'll have to work around HIS schedule, not the other way around. They kind of shot themselves in the foot by not setting up a sequel right away. Iron Man came out in 2008. Iron Man 2 came out in 2010. That's two years. There was clearly a set plan to make more films in place at the time the first one was made. That's clearly not the case here. Wonder Woman comes out in 2017 and they already have the sequel planned for next years release. They've had five years to come up with a sequel to MOS and they didn't. I think it's safe to say there's no real plan here.
    Assassinate Putin!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

They have no plan for a sequel because it doesn't seem like they have any faith in the character himself. They basically had to be forced into doing MOS so they could keep the rights, didn't they? They care more about being able to slap the logo on merchandise than they do in doing the character justice. They may now be deciding to go around the actual central character and use everyone else but him to keep the super mythos going. Whether they intend it be or not, it's pretty much a big middle finger.

It's kind of hard to blame them for not having faith in the brand in light of the damage the DCEU has done to it, so it doesn't make sense to rush into a new film with Cavill as the face. But that's down to the company's screw ups, so it's hard to sympathize.

It isn't Cavill's fault that the DCEU Superman movies suck. But, I think the DCEU should reboot with a new actor.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Astonishing Member

I think they need to have an idea for using Superman before they cast an actor to play him. Anything else is putting the cart before the horse. I don't want a new actor brought in just for cameos or to fill out the Justice league roster.

From what I gather there’s two big issues: 1. WB doesn’t like Cavill’s agent Garcia because she’s trying to get them to treat him like an A-Lister, and they don’t think he deserves that yet. 2. They want him to cameo but they don’t want to put an actual film into production yet, which of course irritates Cavill’s because they want to get around his original contract so they can use him without paying him what he feels he’s worth. Right now it doesn’t look like they’re going to come to an agreement. I read someone argue that we may be about to see a repeat of Routh: They’ll wait however many years before Cavill’s contract expires and then make a new Superman film. In the meantime they’re going to try to swap him out with Supergirl. Dunno if it will work but that looks to be the plan.

I care more about the character than Cavill. I wish him luck with his career (and I’m excited for Witcher), but I’d rather they just reboot the character if they have to. Ditch Snyder’s baggage and start over, preferably with someone whose actually read a freaking comic book for once.

This is where I am too. I was never a fan of the DCEU and it would not break my heart if it went away. Plus, they've made a lot of questionable decisions creatively. A Batman that's at the end of his career when all the other heroes are just starting out seems kind of dumb to me. It just seemed like an excuse to do DKR: The Movie. Plus, I get they want to keep all the elements of his history, like the death of Jason Todd, but this is supposed to be for a general audience. Fan service means nothing to the average person who just wants to watch a Superman or Batman movie. How many people now think Wonder Woman works at the Louvre because of that movie?
    Assassinate Putin!